Hand held code scanners | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hand held code scanners

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You have several choices but you need to set some criteria.You can go cheap and simple all the way to expensive with all the options. Some scanners only read OBDII information, usually the codes that trigger a Check Engine Light. Other scanners can also read the modules that control other functions aside from the engine such as the airbags, ABS, AC, transmission, and on and on. Not all modules may exist on all cars. Sometimes these may be manufacturer specific so if you have a reader that lets you reset the airbag light on a Toyota, it may not work on a Ford.

Starting from cheap and simple you can buy a wired scanner that will simply return a code from the OBDII diagnostics and usually let you clear the CEL. Around $20 and up with some careful shopping. At this price, I would say brand does not matter much. Something from a reputable seller should suffice.

Moving a little bit up from that you can get a wireless reader and an app for your smartphone such as Torque or better yet Forscan. The apps provide easy lookup of the error codes and usually live data streaming of various parameters. Several of these apps have a free version with limited functionality just to make sure it works with your scanner. The full featured version is a few bucks extra. Look for an ELM327 based scanner to use with the app. This will let you connect your phone via bluetooth to the scanner. Be sure to get one with good reviews (OBD Link is a good brand but its more money of course but they also make Wifi versions as well.) since some users have reported issues with these scanners and may not work perfectly for every model. At least that was the case when I bought mine some years ago. I think I lucked out since I bought the cheapest one from eBay and its worked mostly fine. I've been able to read OBDII info on several cars except that in my Montero, the trip computer Distance to Empty would freeze as long as it was plugged in. Other than that it was fine. I think this a good option to start with since a scanner and app can be had cheaply and the app adds functionality and its easy to record the error messages. I paid about $20 for the scanner and about $10 for the apps. I have one in my truck at all times.

A little higher up is a brand specific scanner that can read all the modules not just OBDII info. So you can reset Airbag lights and read other modules as I described earlier. I happened to buy one for my Mercedes, it was an iCarsoft MBII and it covered several years and models or Mercedes. I paid about $150-160 and worth every penny to help me fix two Mercedes. Expect to pay around the same for a Ford based one. Autel is another vendor that makes a brand specific scanner very similar to iCarsoft. They are so similar the menus look the same. I think they must be a Chinese clone of each other or some 3rd party scanner I have not seen yet. There are professional versions of these scanners that cover several makes but also cost lots of money and are like out of the scope of the average home mechanic. I was looking in to buying a Ford specific one until I found out about Forscan.

Forscan runs on a laptop and provides even more functionality than the smartphone based app. You can get access to the security module and make new keys and much more as long as you have the right connector (again check OBD Link, they make one). I have no experience with it but I am eyeing this as my next tool to acquire. I know this is not handheld like you asked but I thought you should know.

I hope this helps.

You have several choices but you need to set some criteria.You can go cheap and simple all the way to expensive with all the options. Some scanners only read OBDII information, usually the codes that trigger a Check Engine Light. Other scanners can also read the modules that control other functions aside from the engine such as the airbags, ABS, AC, transmission, and on and on. Not all modules may exist on all cars. Sometimes these may be manufacturer specific so if you have a reader that lets you reset the airbag light on a Toyota, it may not work on a Ford.

Starting from cheap and simple you can buy a wired scanner that will simply return a code from the OBDII diagnostics and usually let you clear the CEL. Around $20 and up with some careful shopping. At this price, I would say brand does not matter much. Something from a reputable seller should suffice.

Moving a little bit up from that you can get a wireless reader and an app for your smartphone such as Torque or better yet Forscan. The apps provide easy lookup of the error codes and usually live data streaming of various parameters. Several of these apps have a free version with limited functionality just to make sure it works with your scanner. The full featured version is a few bucks extra. Look for an ELM327 based scanner to use with the app. This will let you connect your phone via bluetooth to the scanner. Be sure to get one with good reviews (OBD Link is a good brand but its more money of course but they also make Wifi versions as well.) since some users have reported issues with these scanners and may not work perfectly for every model. At least that was the case when I bought mine some years ago. I think I lucked out since I bought the cheapest one from eBay and its worked mostly fine. I've been able to read OBDII info on several cars except that in my Montero, the trip computer Distance to Empty would freeze as long as it was plugged in. Other than that it was fine. I think this a good option to start with since a scanner and app can be had cheaply and the app adds functionality and its easy to record the error messages. I paid about $20 for the scanner and about $10 for the apps. I have one in my truck at all times.

A little higher up is a brand specific scanner that can read all the modules not just OBDII info. So you can reset Airbag lights and read other modules as I described earlier. I happened to buy one for my Mercedes, it was an iCarsoft MBII and it covered several years and models or Mercedes. I paid about $150-160 and worth every penny to help me fix two Mercedes. Expect to pay around the same for a Ford based one. Autel is another vendor that makes a brand specific scanner very similar to iCarsoft. They are so similar the menus look the same. I think they must be a Chinese clone of each other or some 3rd party scanner I have not seen yet. There are professional versions of these scanners that cover several makes but also cost lots of money and are like out of the scope of the average home mechanic. I was looking in to buying a Ford specific one until I found out about Forscan.

Forscan runs on a laptop and provides even more functionality than the smartphone based app. You can get access to the security module and make new keys and much more as long as you have the right connector (again check OBD Link, they make one). I have no experience with it but I am eyeing this as my next tool to acquire. I know this is not handheld like you asked but I thought you should know.

I hope this helps.
Many thanks for your input and your time ....I needed this.

I have an OBDlink that connects using USB. Usual price is around 40$ They also make bluetooh and wifi connected scanners for 80 100$ One reason to get the more expensive one is that can read the MS and HS can. The model I have is only HScan and the bother will allow ForScan software to modify some programming. I use Forscan for my EX and the sw that came with the scanner to read other vehicles for my neighbors. Forscan will also have a list on their site of compliant scanners.

I have an OBDlink that connects using USB. Usual price is around 40$ They also make bluetooh and wifi connected scanners for 80 100$ One reason to get the more expensive one is that can read the MS and HS can. The model I have is only HScan and the bother will allow ForScan software to modify some programming. I use Forscan for my EX and the sw that came with the scanner to read other vehicles for my neighbors. Forscan will also have a list on their site of compliant scanners.
Thank you...

I have a 1993 ford explorer i have a scanner but will not read always errors either check data link connector or make sure ignition is off any ideas???????

I have a 1993 ford explorer i have a scanner but will not read always errors either check data link connector or make sure ignition is off any ideas???????
Your year is OBD 1 and requires a different scanner than you probably have, you need one specifically for obd1. Or you can use a paper clip or short length of wire to check the codes. There's a how-to thread in the 1st gen section.

Your Ranger is OBD 1 and requires a different scanner tha you probably have, you need one specifically for obd1. Or you can use a paper clip or short length of wire to check the codes. There's a how-to thread in the 1st gen section.
My scanner is for both 1 and 2

Back