Hearing Noise After Applying Brakes | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hearing Noise After Applying Brakes

Ehill

Reaction score
City, State
Louisville Kentucky
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Eddie Bauer
Hello all,
I've a 2003 FORD Eddie Bauer Explorer with V6 engine at 82.000 miles or so. I am hearing a noise when applying brakes. and sometimes before and after applying the brakes.............very strange for i don't hear this noise all the time. It seems like it is worse after i have driven the vehicle for 20 minutes or so. It is difficult to determine which wheel the noise is coming from but it sound like it is coming from the rear but I''m not sure which wheel on the rear. As i said, it is difficult to determine for some reason or another.. It sounds like ticking type sound. it is kind of difficult to describe; However the brakes are fine as far as stopping the vehicle; The pads are fairly new on front and rear; Also rotors on the front are new. Could this be the wheel bearing on the rear-end of vehicle? Or could it be a problem with a brake caliper; the calipers have never been replaced; I would appreciate any assistance i can get with this issue for the last thing i want to do is take it to a shop; If the problem is the hub bearing assembly, what is a good way to check it? If brake caliper, what is a good way to check the calipers? I have replaced both hub bearing assembly on the front but the symptoms that i have now aren't the same as i had when the front hub bearing assemblies went bad; At time time i was hearing like a roaring noise especially when turning left or right turns while driving through curves. I look forward to hearing from someone familiar with this type symptoms. Thanks.........have a nice Memorial Day weekend everyone!...............

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I read through the suggested thread and I believe that my problem is the same. Are the E-brake shoes difficult to replace and or inspect? I have an Haynes repair manual so I will take a look at it to get an idea. I never use my E-parking brake so i'm not sure why it would be wore out or falling apart.

Thanks for the response.

Read through this thread, does it sound similar?

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=281070

I never use my E-parking brake so i'm not sure why it would be wore out or falling apart.

There's your answer. If you don't use the parking brake you will eventually have problems with it. The stuff rusts up and seizes up and eventually will fall apart.

Some members have had no problems doing the parking brake and some have had problems. I am one the guys that had problems. I couldn't get the springs on. Ended up having my mechanic do it. Had to replace the cables as well. The person I bought my ex from never used it and that's why it was all FUBAR. I failed inspection without it working. Do a search and you will find some informative threads.

As far as the noise when braking, there are a few threads on that too. Here is one to get you started: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//showthread.php?t=280873

Hope this helps out. :salute:

There's your answer. If you don't use the parking brake you will eventually have problems with it. The stuff rusts up and seizes up and eventually will fall apart.

Some members have had no problems doing the parking brake and some have had problems. I am one the guys that had problems. I couldn't get the springs on. Ended up having my mechanic do it. Had to replace the cables as well. The person I bought my ex from never used it and that's why it was all FUBAR. I failed inspection without it working. Do a search and you will find some informative threads.

As far as the noise when braking, there are a few threads on that too. Here is one to get you started: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//showthread.php?t=280873

Here's a link to address the parking brake pesky spring:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=270833

Hearing Noise After Applying Brake

Thanks for the response, i appreciate it; i will definitely checkout the threads you mentioned; However, i have a question in regards to the parking brake pads being defective; if they are defective, why is my E-brake still working properly? Or is it possible for it to still work properly although it's falling apart otherwise? Just curious!

Thanks again

The emergency brakes are miniature brake shoes. The linings became unglued from the shoes. The lining is "trapped" between the back plate and the inside of the drum and does not fall out, so when you apply the parking brakes it expands the shoes to the drum and sets your parking brakes. When you release the parking brakes the linings floats between the shoe and rotor/drum and you get noise. Be sure to adjust them just like regular drum brakes, there is a metal plug that you knock out to access the star adjuster. New shoes should come with rubber plug for the hole (at least the Ford shoes did).

Back