• Register Today It's free!

brake question

suzukigod308

Reaction score
City, State
fleetwood pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 explorer xlt
i've got an 03 ex and a month ago i had the driver side caliber locked up. replaced rotors calibers pads and shoes. two weeks later started to get a loud creeking noise and noticed the driver side rotor was blueing alittle. so i replaced the brake hose. it went away for a couple of days now its doing it again. if its raining it doesnt do it. its been driving me nuts. oh by the way its the rear.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have the similar problem but on the front left, the rotors not turning blue or anything its just makes that creeking noise when I barley hit the brake and am going slow.

yep thats the same thing i got too. cant tell 100% if its from the front or rear.

I cant imagine what it is, its weird that when I changed the pads and rotors it went away for a little, anyone able to shed some info on this?

Brake noise

I have had the same problem on my 05. I found that the slide pins were stuck on the left front caliper. Greased them again and the noise is gone. There is a plastic sleeve on the bottom guide pin on the right caliper but there isn't one on the left. I think it is missing- causing the sticking

I have had the same problem on my 05. I found that the slide pins were stuck on the left front caliper. Greased them again and the noise is gone. There is a plastic sleeve on the bottom guide pin on the right caliper but there isn't one on the left. I think it is missing- causing the sticking

Ding ding ding

This is most likely your problem. The pins should move freely in their spot. If not pull them out, clean or replace and grease well with a synthetic grease. Also check to see if the pads slide easily in their guides. I see a lot of people not cleaning this spot and the pads get bound up.

Alright ill try sometime, I just had that caliper fail tonight and was in a bind so I didnt change the slide pins but i will try that.

You guys beat me to it...

Remove the slide pins. Clean with a wire brush (remove all old grease and any rust/oxidation). Replace the rubber boots (with new) and grease as indicated.

Also, be sure the stainless slippers are replaced (with new) and properly installed/seated. A touch of brake lube here can't hurt either.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Thanks Everyone, I took mine apart today and replace the slide pins with new ones, (since they came with my caliper I had to replace yesterday). I also changed the rubber boots, the old pins have barley any grease on them, also cleaned the clips the pads sit on with some break leen and put a shot of grease on, and bam no more noise.

Also, be sure the stainless slippers are replaced (with new) and properly installed/seated. A touch of brake lube here can't hurt either.

Mike

Mike, where the hell do you get the slippers? I have not gone to the dealer yet but can't find them anywhere else. Thanks, Rondo :salute:

you guys are the:censored:. i did this the other night and greased everything even the stainless slippers and it went away. thanks for all your help

Rondo,

Autozone had a "caliper hardware kit" that included the slippers and boots. The shoes I got from them also had a set of slippers.

I don't know if it's critical to replace them on a routine pad replacement (my instinct would say it's not), but if you're hearing noises, it's something to consider.

Mike

Weird, I greased everything up didnt make a noise now its doing the creeking again but very very quiet, anyone reccomend a good grease.

Rondo,

Autozone had a "caliper hardware kit" that included the slippers and boots. The shoes I got from them also had a set of slippers.

I don't know if it's critical to replace them on a routine pad replacement (my instinct would say it's not), but if you're hearing noises, it's something to consider.

Mike

I did find the kit at AutoZone. Thanks! :salute:

look for a high temp synthetic grease.

i used a mobil hts grease from work. its used for high speed spindle bearings on mower spindles. it has a high temp rating and prevents corrosion

Still have the noise!!!

I, too, have the noise! It's coming from the front left wheel as I can feel it in the steering wheel.

Here's what I did: Replaced rotors and pads on the front. I went with the ceramic pads because the consensus was that they would provide better breaking and produce less dust. I have always used semi-metallic and thought I would try the ceramic. It was a nightmare. After 40 miles or so the rims where black. The left being the worse of the two. I thought maybe they needed a "wear-in" period so I stuck with them for a while with no change. I ended up bringing them back and getting the semi-metallic and the break dust is gone and they seem to brake better than the ceramic. So that issue is resolved.

After the original pad installment I noticed the noise everyone is talking about. I hopped on EF and found this thread. I would like to thank everyone on the forum for the incredible knowledge everyone shares! I did not change the slippers (although I did grease them) or pay any attention to the slider pins.

When I replaced the pads with the semi-metallic, I also got the hardware kit and replaced the slippers and the sleeves on the pins and lubed everything up and I still have the noise and it's driving me crazy.

Sorry about the long rant. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks, Rondo :salute:

My tips for a good brake job....
- clean/replace slippers
- replace slide pin boots - way easier than cleaning them.
- remove, clean and regrease slide pins - I normally use a wire wheel to clean any rust off
- put a thin layer of caliper grease on the back of the pads where they make contact with the caliper and pistons
- use a little grease on the slippers where the pads slide

Now here's my secret tip...

- take a wire wheel to the caliper bracket behind where the slipper sits. You don't want to grind it down you just want to remove the corrosion/rust that's formed there. Get it down to nice bare metal before reinstalling your slippers.
Reason - have you ever had new pads that would fit really tight or wouldn't fit at all? Rust is "bigger" than regular metal make the slots smaller than when new. remove the corrosion and it's more like a new caliper and everything fits where it should. Go ahead and try it - I bet you'll do it everytime!

Muzzy, thanks for the tips. My pads fit in with no problem. Do you think I still need to wire wheel the caliper brackets? Maybe they fit in too well and are loose. In that case is replacing the caliper brackets the answer? Thanks, Rondo :salute:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you know i'm glad i wasnt the only one with this problem. i thought i screwed something wrong. i did wire wheel the bracket off and it does help. it seemed to fit nicer.

Back