Help - Error Code P0420 | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help - Error Code P0420

Actually, there is. Ford still refers to RH and LH sides of transverse-mounted engines. You just have to mentally rotate the engine 90° CCW (as viewed from overhead) then orient from the driver's seat as with longitudinally-mounted engine.
Yes, that is why I stated in relation to the vehicle. ;-)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

P0430, replaced Cat. Now P0420

New Explorer owner here. Just purchased 2013 Limited. 5.5L all bells and whistles. 134K. My wife and I really like this vehicle. Purchased at a Ford dealer. About a week after purchase the CEL comes on. We take it back to the dealer and have it checked out. P0430 bank 2 is the only code. They say it's bank 2 Cat/manifold needs to be replaced. They offer to do the $1,100 job for $300, which I thought was reasonable. They give us a loaner and all. We pick up the car and today (a week later) the CEL comes on P0420, bank 1. Car runs fine as far as I can tell. I'm planning on calling them tomorrow and see what they say.

I realize the car has 134K, my research says more than likely is the bank 1 cat. Is this cat connected to the exhaust manifold also? Is it common for both cats to need replacement at this mileage? I really have no history on the car, other than the dealer replaced the struts and brakes during the reconditioning process pre-sale. Has anyone replaced both cats and what's your mileage?

Those codes do not necessarily mean a catcon is bad. They can also indicate a sensor issue (bad sensor, wiring), an exhaust leak, misfires, leaking fuel injectors, or other engine issues. You would probably need to understand vehicle history and past repairs to make an educated guess as to why both catcons went at the same time. It would be helpful to understand the diagnosis the dealer made when they replaced the catcon also. Basically, did they diagnose and decide it was the catcon or were they unable to accurately say what the problem was and just replaced the catcon and hoped it would solve the issue? Did they inspect the catcon they removed and find any damage or contamination?

I am only a sample of 1, but I have never had a catcon go bad and need to be replaced in my entire life (I've had some vehicles up to 15 years old with 200K miles). I do not personally know any friends or family members that have either.

Wow a dealership to just throw parts at it

Buttt is sounds about right

New Explorer owner here. Just purchased 2013 Limited. 5.5L all bells and whistles.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Your thread was moved to this one. By the way, the engine is a 3.5L :)
You may also want to check out; P0420 and P0430 Codes

Peter

Our 2011 Explorer started out with the check engine light on. p0420. I replaced both converters on the car, new spark plugs, and a mass air flow sensor since I had a code for a misfire, had the converter code, and a code for the mass air. Two weeks go by and the light pops back on with the p0420 again. I put it up on the lift at idle, and checked the temperature on the bank 1 converter. At the manifold, it’s almost 500 degrees. Below the converter, it’s about 340 degrees. Now, I know these are way higher than they should be. Apparently the converter is clogged. Any ideas what could cause this? The company I bought the converter from will not replace it because thay day that there is something else wrong with our car. They’re saying that it must be a leaking injector or something going into the converter. I’m about ready to trade this thing in on a diesel truck. Something I know about. I am a diesel mechanic, not a Ford mechanic. Any help is appreciated.

B40617A3-0F71-4152-B20E-712531FCAF47.jpeg

B50711EE-636A-44B8-91FD-0FBBF3AE28C0.jpeg

7F2470B3-DCB8-4331-AC69-9D98A0F7018B.jpeg

84B3B1BA-20F2-486A-9ED9-A6122D183B3A.jpeg

62AC475A-D6AF-4A3E-94E7-A248727C11B9.jpeg

DE252E17-556B-4E0A-9FAC-E632196C2313.jpeg

06919AAB-0921-49F0-8E87-58B96B9B9FFB.jpeg

BD70F920-2933-489F-8E6A-1F8D861E5FD9.jpeg

I had the same code on my 2011 EX, They replace the cat and still had issue they replaced the injectors still. Then i went on line a found that someone had the same issue and replaced the Apim and that took care of it. but by the time i got it back my lease was up, it took them 1 month to get it back to me, The tech did not want to listen to me regarding the apim....

That seems very odd. The APIM is the 'brains' of the MFT system. I don't see any connection between that and the error code.:dunno:

Peter

That seems very odd. The APIM is the 'brains' of the MFT system. I don't see any connection between that and the error code.:dunno:

Peter
Well, neither did the tech, but that's what it was.

There's nothing in the APIM that can affect the engine's control system resulting in a P0420/P0430 codes. Had to have been a coincidence.

Need help diagnosing P0420 code that came in 2013 interceptor utility 87000 miles. I reset and it came back ? Any known issues in these any guidance where to start ? O2 sensors maybe ?

Need help diagnosing P0420 code that came in 2013 interceptor utility 87000 miles. I reset and it came back ? Any known issues in these any guidance where to start ? O2 sensors maybe ?
Your thread was merged with this existing one. You may also want to check out P0420 and P0430 Codes

Peter

I have a 2013 Ford Explorer that shows the P0420 code. Catalyst below threshold. While running a scan tool the o2 bank 1x2 and o2 bank 2x2 are fluctualing between .1 volts and .9 volts quite nicely. These are the downstream sensors for Banks 1 & 2.

While scanning the o2 banks 1x1 and 2x1 are showing nothing. Zero volts. These are the upstream sensors.

What is going on here? Can it be possible that both upstream sensors went bad? Anyone ever have this problem?

What is going on here? Can it be possible that both upstream sensors went bad? Anyone ever have this problem?
Having both go bad would be "unusual".

I would first get underneath and check that the wires to the sensors are still there and not damaged

I have a 2013 Ford Explorer that shows the P0420 code. Catalyst below threshold. While running a scan tool the o2 bank 1x2 and o2 bank 2x2 are fluctualing between .1 volts and .9 volts quite nicely. These are the downstream sensors for Banks 1 & 2.

While scanning the o2 banks 1x1 and 2x1 are showing nothing. Zero volts. These are the upstream sensors.

Your thread was merged with this one. Also; not sure if this thread may be of any help; Fix P0420 P0430 for only 10$
BTW, I believe you have an XLT. ;)

Peter

I've replace the left side (front) Catalytic Converter, which is the P0430 code, a while back. It was not bad to replace.

Wondering how hard it is to replace the right side (backside) Catalytic Converter. Looking for a little heads up before I replace it.

Never done the cats on a 5th gen, but why are yours failing? Unless it is rust-through (would surprise me since I doubt they salt roads that much in Morganton (NC?) ), it's highly likely this is a sign of another fault, unless you are doing an exhaust conversion instead of sticking with the stock exhaust config.

P0430 is more often an O2 sensor or cylinder problem. Again unless it was rust-through, I'd be looking at a scan tool for fuel trims, looking at 02 sensor values and go from there.

Maybe I'm going off on a wild goose chase...

EDIT - Code P0420

Admittedly (and sorry) I don't have the code at the moment. I'm traveling and finally finding time to explore this issue. I bought a 2014 Explorer (V6, FWD) a couple of years ago, which had the engine light on when purchased. The dealer said they would take care of that as part of the purchase and apparently it was related to the O2 sensor. I brought it in, they said they replaced the O2 sensor, light was off, but a few days later it came back on. Took it back, they said it had multiple O2 sensors and they replaced another. Again, light came back on, took it back, and they said they replaced the whole catalytic converter system. I'll have to get paperwork to be more specific. Again, it came back on. I changed the spark plugs as they hadn't been in the 180k mile life of the car, cleared the code, and it came back.

Sometimes it comes on, sometimes it doesn't, but it's almost always on. I feel like ambient temperature when I start the car has something to do with it, maybe when it's cold it doesn't turn on right away? Regardless, I'm trying to determine my next course of action as it's been too long for the dealer to look at it anymore, and honestly, we tow this vehicle behind an RV and I won't be back to that dealer in 6+ months.

So what could it be? The guys at O'Reilys said it could be the O2 sensor if the dealer didn't replace all of them and suggested I spray the sensors with brake cleaner and clean them with a wire brush. But what else could it be if the whole exhaust system has been replaced, new spark plugs, and (maybe) o2 sensors have been replaced? Thanks so much

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Could be deeper, oil or excess fuel consumption clogging cats. could be burning coolant also clogging cats. Could be bad electrical .

Really need more information. Actual code being set.

Back