HELP! ID roof rack destroyed by Irene | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

HELP! ID roof rack destroyed by Irene

illuzion

Reaction score
City, State
long island, ny
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 explorer xlt, 94 bronc
I have asked in the Bronco forums, and the general consensus is that this is an explorer roof rack. I asked in the Gen1 Explorer forums, and many believe this is a gen2 explorer roof rack. So I am asking here, with the hopes that someone would recgonize this and be able to help.

I've spent a lot of time trying to figure this out with no luck. Also can anyone that has the stock rack, measure it and let me know the measurements of:
1. Crossbars length(metal part without plastic end connectors):
2. main rail length end to end:
3. Length of thin slats between main rails:

I have a few part numbers on the table, I might order to replace this:
F57Z-7855100-AA - Not sure what this is
F57Z-7855100-AAA - Gen1 Rack (Is this the one with the sliding locks?)
F67Z-7855100-AAA - Gen2 Rack?
Am I correct with these? Any ideas/help??

Are all the Gen2 thin slats between the main rails riveted, or are any of them just adhesive (no holes for rivets at the ends)???

The one thing that doesn't look like anything I have seen is the cut out shape where the locking thumbwheels are in the end connectors.

I have a strange request, my 94 bronco has a roof rack on it I don't recgonize and neither does anyone else. I think it *might* be a OEM ford explorer roof rack that the dealer bolted on a bronco (fullsize), I have found explorer racks that are close, but not exact. Can anyone here identify this? All I know is that it came from the dealer with the truck, truck was purcahsed by me in 97. Truck is a 94, and I was told it was on the truck when it was purchased new from dealer, but ford never made an OEM rack for the bronco.

Either its aftermarket (haven't been able to ID it), or its a ford (or other) oem from another vehicle. What I do know is the cross members (screw in locks with sliding threaded plates in main rails, not a sliding lock) look close to the 96 explorer rack, but the end connectors look different.

Also the thin slats in the middle are held by pressure sentitive adhesive (no holes for rivets/screws), the main rails are screwed down. I thought the Gen1 explorers had adhesive slats and the Gen2 were riveted slats. See pictures below. I'm trying to find the *exact* one that is on there that was destroyed, noone in bronco forums recgonizes it, I figured someone here might. Any help greatly appreciated.

rack0.jpg

rack1.jpg

rack2.jpg

rack3.jpg

rack4.jpg

rack5.jpg

Looks similar to a Gen 2 roof rack. I measured the Main rails to be 4 and a half feet, the thin slats to be 3.5 feet, and the total width of the cross bars to be 3ft 5in (outside to outside measurements)

That looks a lot like the hardware on my 98 Sport.

The "F5..." part number translates to 1995, and the "F6..." would mean 1996.

I know how ford part numbers work, I was just trying to see if anyone was familiar with these parts since I could not find detailed pictures of them. I ordered the 1996 (gen2) rack kit and it is close but not right. The main rails are correct (I have to shorten them a little). The center slats are too short but may be usable (the ones I had were 50" long), my main problem is the crossbars. The extrusions match EXACTLY what I have even though the endcaps are different, but the problem is the explorer ones are too short (about 8" too short or so). I did not want to start blindly ordering parts so I drove like 50 miles to a huge boneyard that has pretty much every car in existence and I drove through it checking everything I could think of (expeditions, windstars/aerostars, explorers, navigators, etc) just for crossbar length. Nothing was even close. One of the guys that worked at the boneyard said he recognized the endcaps and it was aftermarket, designed to look like an oem rack. I have searched high and low and can't find it, or any crossbars that long. Any help?

Back