1998-2001 Mountaineer Inadequate Roof Rack Fix | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1998-2001 Mountaineer Inadequate Roof Rack Fix

This is what I picked up. These and a handful of those little tie downs that also fit in the tracks.

0720171555.jpg

0720171554.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The style on my 98 are much different. Jon got this going about swapping the different rack parts. For carrying something the Explorer design is much better. I like the Mercury version for aesthetics alone. But I'm interested in what you all work out, it might be good for my work truck also.

1st pics 7.JPG

I actually found 4 crossbars that are identical to the ones I've got. Two of them still have 100% paint on them! I was amazed! But I now have two extras, so if you need some I'll bring them with me.

That's great! I could use them for sure.

OK, as it turns out, doing this you end up with cross bars that are 38 1/2" long. If you plan on using it to mount a rack, don't buy a rack that is exactly 38 1/2" wide at the support tubing. Can you believe the luck? My cage rides right exactly perfectly centered on the rounded corners of the cross bars. This is no good at all.
So, if anyone is wanting to do this mod, all you need are the 94 roof rails. 25.00 plus shipping, to recover my cost, and the shortened bars are yours. I'll give you my time. Just be sure to buy a rack that is 36" or less wide .

So you want a rack/cage which is narrower than the roof bars? What was the width of the 94 truck versus the 95-01, did you check? My 99 is a 93 roof, with the stock rack. I'll want to hunt a rack to fit that.

All of the explorer - 97 mountaineer stuff was identical fit regardless of year. 98 up mountys have the poop rack width.

I kinda feel like I am repeating this-

I'm sorry, I tried to ask the same question differently I guess. I'll go measure my 99(93) roof rack, and my 98's that are original.

I never made it to the yard today. Ended up doing some framing in my basement instead. Half inside work that way. It's just plain hot! My Mounty didn't come with anything up top except the bolts sticking through.

This

everything went as planned, until I ran into my thru hole for the 10mm socket. Powdercoat was too thick, I had to redrill. 10mm socket just fits.

001.JPG
002.JPG
003.JPG
004.JPG
005.JPG
006.JPG
007.JPG
008.JPG
009.JPG
010.JPG

Welp. The studs and bolts wanted to be in the same place as the cargo rack tubes. I shoulda known that.

So, I had to fix the 3 cross bars. cut off the studs, bore hole large enough for a 1/2" socket.
020.JPG
023.JPG

Ah, modifications, part of our lives. You have to improvise, to make things work that we deal with. You can handle it.

Spread some Ultra Black around the exposed fasteners to keep the corrosion down.

Looks good! A lot better than my mis-measured stuff. But it works.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back