HELP!!!Major Road Block Installing a New Head-Unit into a 99 EB with Mach Audio!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

HELP!!!Major Road Block Installing a New Head-Unit into a 99 EB with Mach Audio!!!

Faster Life

Reaction score
City, State
MPLS
Year, Model & Trim Level
99' EB SOHC 4.0
All my audio guys! I need your help! While I appreciate all the good advice I received in the past, I really need your help now as my truck had been ripped apart without good results!

Here is the issue:

I have a 99 EB with Mach Audio. The problem I'm having is installing a new head-unit. The wiring harnesses that are out there for explorers don't have all of the harnesses for the Mach audio. When I pull the deck, the wires are separated into 3 different harnesses. The wiring kits I've found only provide a connection for 1 of those connections.

- Is there a wiring kit for the Mach Audio, or do I have to splice wires?

I don't mind bypassing the stock amps. I have a new amp for the sub, and the deck will provide the power needed for the door speakers. I'm not trying to get the wheel-controls/6 disc changer or any of those components into the system (But if someone knew a way to include them with the new HU, I'd love that!)

- Does anyone know the color codes of the wires?

If I do need to splice wires, what color is speaker/power/remote/ etc? I couldn't find any info on this anywhere! The only way I know how is to trace the wires to their source (i.e. ripping a door panel off, and pulling a speaker to see the color of the wire)

Anyways, if you have done an install of a new HU to a MACH AUDIO SYSTEM please let me know how to get the deck hooked up properly.

Thanks!

if you can wait scosche.com usually has all the wiring harness adapters you need for almost all makes and models check them out before you go cutting your harness lol

You only need the adapter for one harness (the rectangular connector). The other two cover the subwoofer (small connector) and the rear audio controls/CD changer/steering wheel controls (large square-ish connector).

I don't know of a way to interface the CD changer or rear controls to an aftermarket HU. There is an adapter available for the steering wheel controls for some HU's, but you have to wire the adapter in yourself.

As for the stock subwoofer, there is a harness adapter available if your new HU has a subwoofer output (It gives you an RCA connector for audio and a wire for the subwoofer amp turn-on lead). However, you may need a level converter since your HU may not match the output level of the MACH HU. You'd want an active level converter like the LOCB.2 (not made any more, but it's the one I use, and you can still get them).

The rectangular connector carries the power, speaker, and instrument illumination wires, which is all you need to install an aftermarket HU. For the 1998-up model years, the amplifier is built into the HU, so there is no need to bypass any amplifiers. The only independent amp you have is the subwoofer amp (which as mentioned can be driven from a preamp output on an aftermarket HU).

EDIT: Just noticed you're installing a new sub amp. in that case, you will not need the other two connectors at all. The single harness will give you the power/speaker/illumination wires you need.

Thanks for the help guys. I'll check it out, and give some feedback...

Back