Help me build a better tow rig | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help me build a better tow rig

I use my 2002 exploder XLS to tow a monstrous 22 foot powerboat.

27298367686.jpg

I weighed the combo at a local truck scale, and it came in at 10,020lbs total with me, my wife, and a full tank of gas in the ex and the boat. The ex has the following upgrades:

-class III hitch
-new oreilly brand upgraded rotors and premium pads.
-7x10" transmission cooler mounted on the front of the ac condenser right behind the grille for maximum airflow
-B&M trans temp gauge.
-Royal purple trans fluid

Additionally, the trailer has hydraulic surge disc brakes. The braking combo on this ex/trailer is outstanding. I have the utmost confidence in the braking ability of this combo. Those trailer brakes really work well!!

27298367687.jpg

With the current upgrades, my transmission temp is 150* without the trailer, and about 170* when towing on the highway. It can get up to 200* when I'm doing precision maneuvering, like backing the trailer into a tight spot.

The ex now seems like it could use some more power. The following mods all seem like they'd help:

-handheld tuner (superchips, or SCT) $350-$500
-JBA shorty headers (probably won't gain much power) $375
-gibson catback exhaust (does it really help?)$319
-K&N Cold air kit (I think this might have a good bang for the buck) $215
-3.73 gear swap (probably the best upgrade) $*&!((#@

I did gears once on a 99 SS camaro, and it was a total PITA. I don't think I can accurately set up gears on an IRS 4WD truck. Is there an all inclusive gear kit for the exploder to do 3.73s or 3.90s?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Gears- go big or don't bother. I put in 4.56 gears with 30" tires. Towed like a Mac truck. Now I have 33" tires which knocks the effective ratio down to a stock Ex sized tires and 4.10 gears. I don't drive it much, but MPGs haven't taken a hit. Fun to drive too.

With the 4.56 and 30" tires, faster than 70 mph didn't seem to be what the Ex liked. But now with the 33s, it's no problem.

I started with 3.55 gears.

Gears- go big or don't bother. I put in 4.56 gears with 30" tires. Towed like a Mac truck. Now I have 33" tires which knocks the effective ratio down to a stock Ex sized tires and 4.10 gears. I don't drive it much, but MPGs haven't taken a hit. Fun to drive too.

With the 4.56 and 30" tires, faster than 70 mph didn't seem to be what the Ex liked. But now with the 33s, it's no problem.

I started with 3.55 gears.

Are there any good threads that show how to do a gear swap in an ex? Are there any good kits? I just looked on summit, and didn't find anything really useful. Ebay has some salvage differential pull outs, but they are just 3.73s, and kind of expensive.

I paid someone $850 (including gears) to install mine. I found him on Craigslist. He's also a member on here (stang5lgt). He's done dozens upon dozens or regears (mostly Jeeps).

Try searching for someone to install them if you aren't comfortable with it. This is the one thing that will transform your truck into a better tow rig. A tuner might do a little, but gears will be the best.

If on a budget, do a cat back exhaust, and a air intake. Let it breath better.

What gears are you running now? 3.55's? If you want go to 3.73's its a factory gear, just go find one in the bone-yard and swap out the rear end. Would probably be easier and cheaper the a gear change.

If on a budget, do a cat back exhaust, and a air intake. Let it breath better.

What gears are you running now? 3.55's? If you want go to 3.73's its a factory gear, just go find one in the bone-yard and swap out the rear end. Would probably be easier and cheaper the a gear change.

I have 3.55s right now. I have been looking at replacement axles on ebay. They seem to run about $450 apiece, so it'd be $900 + shipping to do it that way. I think that I might be able to just buy some new 3.73 or 4.10 gears, and an install kit for less than that.

I don't see which engine you have.
But if you have 3.55 gearing, you are overloaded either way.
V6 with increased gearing will still be overloaded.
V8 with new gearing should be good.

I have 3.55s right now. I have been looking at replacement axles on ebay. They seem to run about $450 apiece, so it'd be $900 + shipping to do it that way. I think that I might be able to just buy some new 3.73 or 4.10 gears, and an install kit for less than that.

To change the ratio, you don't replace axles, you replace gears (ring & pinion).
Like you, I started with 3.55's. I have since regeared to 4.10's and am loving it. Since you are pulling that much weight, you need at least a 4.10 ratio, if not a 4.30 or 4.56. Be mindful however, that with that much gear, your highway mileage will suffer if this is a daily driver.

If it were me I would regear the front and swap in a solid rear

My 4.6L V8 Mountaineer has a 7,000 lb max tow rating and 12,000 lbs GCVWR. We pull the camper at about 5,000 lbs and combined weight at about 11,000 lbs and it's wonderful.

I agree that he's overloaded, but towing ability isn't all about displacement. It needs the entire package.

10K total less let's call it 4600lbs for the truck, people, and gear, leaves you towing about 5400-5500lbs. A class III, trans cooler, and 3.73's should be more then enough to tow that.

In addition to better gears ... I am not sure if it is an option for trailers with surge brakes but a weight distribution hitch makes quite a bit of difference when towing. The idea is it puts weight on the front axle instead of taking weight off. It will keep your head lights form pointing up in the air thus maintaining greater traction and maneuverability in a emergency senerio. Your local tow shop should have a possible solution for you. I would also agree that the explorer is too light weight wise and too light of duty for the task of towing this load. Your tranny wont hold the weight long term. I tow with a Dodge Cummins 3500 6sp w/ exhaust brake .. just my .02:D

Just my 2 cents, but when you put in a cat-back exhaust it will shift your powerband to the mid RPM's as will the JBA headers and you really want the powerband to stay on the low end for maximum torque around 2500 RPM. Just the 3.73 gearing a superchips 1865 and a drop in K&N filter should make quite a noticable change when under load. I believe that the factory tow package also came with stiffer rear coil springs to handle the additional load rating since my rig hardly loads down with a 2 ton load behind it.

The 2006 Ford Towing Guide does not show any suspension changes by opting for the Class III/IV Towing Package. You don't want a stiffer suspension anyway, as this makes the ride more harsh when not towing.

As fastboxR indicated, that's why Ford requires the use of a WDH on these Explorers, to get more than 5000 lbs tow rating. The tow package is called "Class III/IV" because it's class III (5000 lbs) without a WDH, or class IV (over 7000 lbs) with a WDH.

Nice PDF, I had never seen that information pamplet. Well, there goes that theory because the back end of my Mountaineer rides really stiff and barely absorbs the road imperfections unless it is loaded down by a trailer. Of course I don't mind it because it is after all a truck and I want it to drive like a truck not some crossover that the manufacturer wants you to think is a truck. Gone are the days of the true body on frame midsize SUV's :(

I hear you. Time will tell. If these vehicles can do the job, do it well, and stand up to the test of time, then the better ride and fuel economy will be worth it.

Unibody Durango with Hemi has a full 7400 lbs tow rating. Even the V6 with tow package gets 6400 lbs.

Back