Hey there. Im Brian. Heres my Truck. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hey there. Im Brian. Heres my Truck.

'98 Ford Explorer, Hit me up at Hortman81@aol.com if anyone in Chicagoland plans an event.

I moved this post here from the introductions. If that angers the mighty Admin and Moderator gods then I apologize and understand if this post is deleted.

(If not then here we go!)

Hey there, Im from Chicago and Im happy to Join the Forum. Right away I have two things to say, I want to learn as much from you people as possible and Im already well into my custom journey and look forward to anything you all can assist me with.

Its great to have a community based around owning an Explorer.

Okay I have some questions for the end, but Ill cut right to the meat and potatos. Heres the rig.

'98 XLT

Picture025.jpg

Road tires. Nothin special.

Picture032.jpg

Here is the dash, center console and middle console. Thats an Alpine CDA-9835 Mp3/ CD/*insert audio formats* player in there and a tomtom 330 go(love that flippin thing).

P1000427.jpg

Gate shot.

P1000422.jpg

Here is the Audio Foundation. Thats an ADS P42-something or other 200 Watt 4 channel. It powers some Nakamichi 5.25's and 6x9's in the doors and, up until recently, I had another 500 Watt powering some dual voice coil Nakamichi 10's, but it decided to just....not turn on one day. So I went for broke and bought new 12's, a 2.0 Farad Cap and an 800 Watt 2 channel amp to bring my bass back up to speed. Here is the setup sans the amp*currently scheduled to be delivered by tue 05/01.

P1000423.jpg

New 12's

12s.jpg

And mah switches, knobs and other things that get in the way.

P1000425.jpg

Now for some questions. HOW THE HELL DO YOU DEAL WITH THE POSITIVE AND NEGATIVE POWER DISTRIBUTION??? for the switches I mean?

Here I just twist negatives in a twisty cap*sorry for not knowing the technical term* and twist and tape the positives together for my interior additional lights, and the external spots and fogs. There has got to be a better way to share ground and positive electron flow without completely jerry rigging the mess and having it end up looking like this-

P1000429.jpg

Can anyone suggest anything to help organize my ground and positive 12 volt source? All the power distribution blocks I can find dont have fits for anything smaller than 12 gauge. I would be greatful if you guys had any suggestions.

Next question. I change the oil myself, transfer oil, differental, trans, air filter, fuel filter, radiator, I can do that stuff myself, but I need some advice on three things.

1. What can I use to clean the oxidization off the battery heads*isnt that what its called*? The nasty crusty stuff.

P1000430.jpg

Also, a recent visit to the local trusted auto shop for a tune up ended up in having one of their greasemonkeys break that plastic manifold on top of the engine. Anyone know where I can get another? Or a replacement?

P1000431.jpg

And what is the best way to clean this engine? Get all of the dust out of it? Should I just hit it with the hose? Is there a method? Am I foolish for thinking there is a method? Any help is welcome.

If anyone read this all the way through I thank you, If I dont get any responses then at least I introduced myself and Im still happy to have found this place.

I used to think I was the only one who loved my explorer like a pet, but I see Im not alone.

Some of the mods I have seen here are amazingly creative and original. Im learning about a sustance called bondo and malleable fiberglass, and Im dying for any help on how I can modify my console for a 6 inch LCD.

So thats me, and those are my questions.

Nice to meet you all.

nice x u got there

Back