HF Winch Mounting Channel

CodePoet

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Indianapolis, Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 XLT
Thought i'd post up the latest change to the explorer. Two years ago at a club run I won a 9000lb mile marker winch. Well since the explorer SAS wasn't finished until last fall and other delays I just now got it mounted. I used a harbor freight mounting channel, cut down to fit between the frame rails. I then used some 2x6x.25 box steel and cut it into L brackets. Next I drilled it so that I could use the stock bumper mounting holes in the frame. I set it up so that the channel's back is around .25" from the radiator support so pretty much as far back as possible. I did need to trim the grill to fit the solenoid box. I't so far back I have to open the hood to get to the remote plug. Anyway here it is...i'm pretty happy with it all in all :D

DSC00997.JPG

DSC01002.JPG

first!

Ha! You're speedy!

How thick is the winch plate? I was planning on getting one from my local HF but when I went there they had none in stock. So I ordered one online from a different vendor.

But if its thick and easily weldable, I'd like to pick one up for the next project.

It's 1/4" thick it wasn't bad to work with :)

Back