• Register Today It's free!

mounting winch upside down?

Xzibit A

Reaction score
City, State
Ashburn,VA(NOVA)
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 xlt 4.6
has anyone done this or know if it will work or if its a good idea to try, im asking becaseu i want to make a tube bumper and moe it up so it fits with the 3" BL and ount the winch underneath it wi the mount welded on the frame.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

why do that? just mount it rightside up. if your making a bumper just make it so the winch works right. craddle it in the frame and build the bumper around it.
as far as would it work.. i'm not sure. i don't know of any reason the winch wouldn't work honestly but i've never seen someone do that!

im just trying to create some options

only problem i could see would be lubrication.... im not sure how the interanls of a winch are lubricated but that might become an issue mounting upside down. Id check with Warn first.

Now that i think about it i think Mile Marker Hydraulic winches can be mounted upside down. I remember seeing an add about them still operating after a truck was rolled or something.

from what i know about the warn 9000xi (i think thats the right number) internal lube is grease... only worry i would have is the cooling on the electronics package thats in the winch.... (but this is all a guess pretty much)

jasonb said:
why do that? just mount it rightside up. if your making a bumper just make it so the winch works right. craddle it in the frame and build the bumper around it.
as far as would it work.. i'm not sure. i don't know of any reason the winch wouldn't work honestly but i've never seen someone do that!

I have thought the same thing about mounting the winch upside down. The reason why is on my ranger with no AC i can take a warn m8000 or similar and completly mount it behind and under the grill. By putting it upsidedown I will have access to the knob to swithc from free spool to power. this way I dont have to add 6" to the front of ranger with a bumper and decress my approch angle. I am a little concerned about the extra stress from the type of bridge I would have to build if I mounted it upside down so I am still unsure of if I will try it or not.

hehe, I too have been thinking about an upside down winch. It would make the design of my yet to be built new front bumper much simpler and cleaner.

i mounted mine rightside up between the frame rails. it was easy and straightforward and didn't have to use a big bumper or anything. stock bumper.. cut a little, but that's it.
the clutch would be tougher to operate upside down. not a lot tougher, but annoying enough i would think.
give it a shot... i'd try to contact warn about lubrication issues doing it like mentioned above but i think they'll just say not to anyway. i really don't know of any reason why it wouldn't work upside down.. i just figure making it fit rightside up is not much harder.

But if it were mounted upside down, wouldnt it spool backwards?

J/K :p

It shoudl work without a problem as long as it's not the 8274 like I have on my Bronco. I've seen other models mounted upside down and used with no ill effects.

james t said:
But if it were mounted upside down, wouldnt it spool backwards?

J/K :p

LMAO....Good one James!!! :D

RangerX said:
hehe, I too have been thinking about an upside down winch. It would make the design of my yet to be built new front bumper much simpler and cleaner.

exactly!!

Back