Hidden Hitch Does Not Fit

hwydave

Reaction score
City, State
Torrance, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2009 XLT, 1999 XL (RIP)
Greetings,

I got a Hidden Hitch from etrailer.com for my 1999 Explorer 4 doors. The hitch no. is 70647 according to both etrailer and Hidden Hitch's website. The hitch arrived with no. 70647 stamp on the hitch but the hitch width is about 1/4" short to fit under the frame. It seems like all the information pointed to that the hitch is the right size for the Explorer but it is too short to fit. Does anyone has the similar problem with Hidden Hitch? Thanks for help!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I wrote to etrailer's customer service and this is the respond I got:

"The # 70647 is a fit for the 1999 Ford Explorer 4 door model, but sometimes during shipment the hitch arms can get angled in, because they are made out of a mild steel to flex with changing temperatures.

If the holes are about 3/8 of an inch off, this is something that should be able to be remedied by pulling the hitch arm back into alignment.

The best way to do this is normally with a table vice, or you could also hook it on an open step or use a 2 x 4 board for leverage. Pull the arm out little by little until it is back into alignment.

If you are still unable to get the holes to line up, let me know and I would be glad to assist you further."

Does this respond sounds logical? It is hard to imagine the hitch that can tow 3,000 lb can be "expanded" that easily...

i guess the main question is... does it look bent? it wouldn't surprise me if it bent, i've seen first hand how places ship stuff... it's not gentle. I'm sure they won't pay shipping, but if you're sure it's wrong you can send it back and get another one.

Justin

I measured the distance of the hitch length from the bottom welded area and the length is 41". Won’t the approach of push the arms back affect the integrity of the weld, even if it is about 1/4" (hopefully 1/8" on each side)?

I just bought a new Hidden Hitch 70647 off eBay from seller 'hitchrepublic'

here is the sale: CLICK ME

It came up boxed really well:

IMG_0024.jpg

IMG_0026.jpg

I did order a hitch once for an older vehicle, and they just tagged the hitch and threw it bare into the truck for shipping. I could see something getting tweaked like that. Were there any spots that looked like it had been dropped? Powdercoat chipped off?

I measured mine, and it is 41" from side ear to side ear, inside dimension.

Is there a possibility that your Ex had been hit and fixed? If so, the frame could be off...

I won't have mine on until next week, I want to put my new shackles on before installing the hitch so I can have some more room for the heck of it. :)

The packing was OK, similiar to yours, Joe. The cornor of the one of the arm was chip off but the frame looks fine overall.

Just to wrap this thread. I shipped the hitch back for replacement and the second hitch arrived with the same problem of not able to fit. I follow the instruction of etrailer’s technician again and once again without success. I ship it back out of my pocket and got charged $50 for restocking fee and their shipping cost, which amount of about 1/3 of what I paid for ($160)!! Although etrailer’s customer service staff is polite, the respond time is rather slow and claimed that the restocking fee is due to starch marks on the trailer (of course there will be scratch marks since I tried to correct the problem of fitting per the instruction of etrailer’s technician!!). The whole thing ends up very unpleasant, unfortunately. etrailer is cheap but they will charge you dearly if the hitch they sent does not fit and you end up getting the short end of the stick. I think it is better off to buy locally to avoid this type of awful and costly experience in the future.

Pay a little more and buy local when you can.I would also point out to them that their tech told you to try and move it into alignment,thus the damage.Start complaining about it and keep complaining to them,they just want you to go away.Send letters and call them,ask for the supervisor and write down the names of the people you talk to.:D

$50 bucks is $50 bucks after all and the thing didn't fit.Tell them you are online telling everyone how bad their service is.

Just to wrap this thread. I shipped the hitch back for replacement and the second hitch arrived with the same problem of not able to fit. I follow the instruction of etrailer’s technician again and once again without success. I ship it back out of my pocket and got charged $50 for restocking fee and their shipping cost, which amount of about 1/3 of what I paid for ($160)!! Although etrailer’s customer service staff is polite, the respond time is rather slow and claimed that the restocking fee is due to starch marks on the trailer (of course there will be scratch marks since I tried to correct the problem of fitting per the instruction of etrailer’s technician!!). The whole thing ends up very unpleasant, unfortunately. etrailer is cheap but they will charge you dearly if the hitch they sent does not fit and you end up getting the short end of the stick. I think it is better off to buy locally to avoid this type of awful and costly experience in the future.

I think it is safe to say they did what they could and your truck is damaged--bent frame.

Have you gotten one that fits yet?

I kind of agree with Jon- If you had two hitches and neither one fit, something's up- I'm still curious if your frame is tweaked- my hitch went on with no issues in 10 minutes. :dunno:

Yes I would check that first,how about one of you measuring the frame and posting it so we can see.Then we can go from there.Mine's not here or I would.I also would think that the damage would be obvious,but who knows:D

And it doesn't have to be off much to not fit- you can't "twist" a frame or the hitch to fit holes or the opening. It's a fairly tight fit as it is with no damage...

Hidden Hitch # 70647 is the same exact hitch as Draw-Tite # 75083.
Hidden Hitch, Draw Tite, and Reese are all manufactured by the same company which is 'Cequent Group'. They then slap different stickers on them. http://www.cequentgroup.com/

BTW, I know this isn't the right forum/thread to list for sale items in so I'm not listing it here but just letting you guys know I have the same exact hitch (round tube style # 75083) for sale in perfect condition.
I guess if anyone is interested in mine PM me.

http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/Ford/Explorer/2000/75083.html?vehicleid=2000899

Can't sell items on the forum unless you're an elite member...

I bought mine from a junkyard for my 97. I used a wire cub brush on a grinder, then primed and painted it and it looks great. Long story longer- I went to put it on, and it wouldn't fit. My dad grabbed his 20 lbs sledge, I held on it and he smacked the hanger with the sledge, did that on the other side as well. It fit after that.

Back