"Hold at Plant" | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

"Hold at Plant"

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 XLT, 11 LTD?
Explorer built on 3/24. On 4/15 its designation went from awaiting shipment to "hold at plant." Anyone have any ideas what the most recent hold could be?

Better yet, anyone have the phone number of the Chicago plant manager?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Could be a variety of things. More than likely a quality check or fixing something that has been picked up. Such as the A pillar gasket fiasco. Never know. Could be anything. Good luck with getting a straight answer. I haven't seen one come out since we bought ours. Ford employees would make excellent politicians. Ask them a question and they will dance around it like a bunch of ballerinas. Same as most manufacturers. Nobody wants to own up to a mistake. Someone would probably get the axe. Cheers.

I think a good guess is a "parts hold" based on the Japan situation.

Not sure it would be a parts hold if the explorer has been built for 3 weeks

Talked to a dealer today while order another truck said they were having a little part problem. And the big problem with shipping is when they stored them they have to do Last one first out because they can't get to the early built ones.

My Explorer built 03/23. Del. 04/15 One of the window stickers says US/Canada parts 85%

Talked to a dealer today while order another truck said they were having a little part problem. And the big problem with shipping is when they stored them they have to do Last one first out because they can't get to the early built ones.

The manager at my dealer confirmed the placement of a vehicle on the lot had everything to do with it's shipping order. Early builds with holds are apparently at the back of the lot and are not being sent for shipping as soon.

Wow, if true, that is really about the dumbest thing I ever heard on the customer service front.

I agree, but it sounds plausible with all the early orders being unduly delayed.

If Ford has parts for the early builds, I say: If Ford is willing to pay hundreds of thousands of dollars for rental vehicles for the thousands of Windstars being stored at dealer lots until rear axle parts come in, (guy at work had a rental for 3+ months now) they can pay a company a few thousand to come in and move cars at the Chicago storage lots. Or they should be doing so, at least.

Mine was built the same day 3/24 and I am on a plant hold too...funny that cars the day before and after have been delivered...this sucks

Mine was bulit 3/24 too and today is it still awaiting shipment. Wonder why same bulid date some are on hold and some are not. I bet mine is way way way in the back of the lot.

Back