• Register Today It's free!

Holes from fender flares

97 EB Mike

Reaction score
City, State
Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Eddie Bauer
Hi all, I'm looking for ideas here. 97 Eddie Bauer, removed the fender flares and running boards. Love the look, hate the holes. I plan on finding XLT trim for behind the rear wheels in a boneyard, but I still have all these holes in the fenders and below the doors. I can't find any aftermarket trim that is tall enough to cover the holes, and I really want to stay away from flares. Aside from fiberglass, lead, and plug welding, does anyone have any creative ideas that won't look like poo to fill/cover up these holes? Thanks in advance!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I know a couple of guys have used that foil tape for duct work to cover them, then painted over it. I ended up using the plastic rocker trim that is in place of running boards.

For the front fenders possibly find some from another Explorer that has the same paint color that didn't come with factory flares.

Maybe you can use some plastic hole covers from lowes. You can possibly paint them silver to look like metal rivets for fender flares. There might also be some other useful small hole covers in the area, even the same isle. I've thought about doing the same thing before.

-Marc

Maybe you can use some plastic hole covers from lowes. You can possibly paint them silver to look like metal rivets for fender flares. There might also be some other useful small hole covers in the area, even the same isle. I've thought about doing the same thing before.

-Marc

Thought about that, but the fronts have double holes. I don't know if someone has had them off before me then drilled new holes to reinstall them or if they came from the factory with double holes for different flare options...
Even thought about a 1/4 bolt through it from the back and a chrome or stainless cap nut on the fender, but I still have those blasted double holes on the front to deal with...

You could also put herculiner over the holes with those covered plastic pieces. I think somebody tried that before but, I'm not too sure you want that on your truck because it won't come off.

-Marc

Would you be interested in selling your running boards, flares, and hardware?

Would you be interested in selling your running boards, flares, and hardware?

I'm not sure yet. I'm planning on taking the "running boards" off, but I want to see how it looks with just the flares. I WILL let you know ASAP if I decide to keep them or sell them though.

I'm still active, but haven't done anything yet. I'm planning on the expanding foam "trick" I found elsewhere on the forum for the bottom and rear fenders (Can't remember for sure who did it, maybe Mountaineer Green?);the front's I have some serious unrelated bodywork/panel swap mods in mind, so I'll deal with those when I get there. Also, fwiw, I've leared something interesting. You can spray color topcoat over herculiner. My truck will never be a show truck, but I am after a very specific look (depending on how the front end work goes) so that was great info for me. Hope this helps!

Any pics of it without the fender flares and the holes. The fender flares are starting to drive me crazy. Been thinking of maybe just getting wheel spacers to make the wheels/tires flush with the fender flares

There is a lot of debate about wheel spacers out there. Personally, after what I've done, I think spacers (or a new set of wheels with a different offset) is the way to go. That's what will happen with my next truck, guaranteed. PM me your email if you want a pic...it's been so long since I've been on here I can't remember how to post one in the thread.

I have heard a lot of bad things with expanding foam being used on metal. It absorbs moisture and will rust whatever it is touching.

Dow makes a version of foam meant for indoor/outdoor use that is water resistant. That's what I used (did it in July 2010) and haven't had problems beyond what is average for an Ohio truck. The majority of my rust existed when I bought it. But I also put a pretty heavy coating of truck bed liner over any exposed foam. It's not a fix for a show truck by any means, but mine serves as my work truck/daily driver.

There is a lot of debate about wheel spacers out there. Personally, after what I've done, I think spacers (or a new set of wheels with a different offset) is the way to go. That's what will happen with my next truck, guaranteed. PM me your email if you want a pic...it's been so long since I've been on here I can't remember how to post one in the thread.

Sounds good. Sending a PM.

Anybody with pics of the fender flares removed?

Awww, crap. Sorry dude. I forgot all about it. I'll see what I've got on my computer... A lot been going on... dude at work talked me into selling him my truck, been on the hunt since then.

EDIT: email sent, sorry for the delay.

No biggie man on the delay, thanks for the pics Mike. Been debating on taking mine off to have them rhino lined.

No prob. I used the rattle can bed liner paint, but the holes were never really completely hidden. Rhino liner is probably thick enough to hide them completely. I dig the look myself. I always found it strange though... It seemed like my front passenger tire always stuck out just a little farther than the rest. It never bothered me enough to look, but I wonder if that axle is just a little longer or something...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hey i dont have any ideas but wouldnt mind to see what you have come up with. i have the same problem ..

Back