List of Useful Threads - Hood Paint bubble issue only | Page 66 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

List of Useful Threads Hood Paint bubble issue only

The explanation sounds plausible but if that is the case, why is it only bubbling on the front edge and not on other parts of the 'contaminated' hood?

Peter
I don't know, but it's done and home at no charge, so I guess three more years will tell!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just got mine back. Other than it taking 6 weeks to get the hood, the entire process was VERY smooth. Can't complain one bit. I just hope it lasts!

My 2017 XLT's hood was replaced in July. No hassle was involved. The body shop manager had a letter hanging on his wall next to his desk authorizing replacement without even getting Ford approval. They even had two new hoods in stock. Took it in on Tuesday, July 21, 2020 for the viewing and it was in the shop the following Monday and out on Wednesday. New hood with what was described as a slightly different seam and a "sealer" applied. Manager said that the aluminum hoods were put on in a shop where steel panels were also assembled and "iron particles" became embedded in the aluminum setting up the corrosion situation. Therefore a "repair" was not an option.

As far as I know, the factory warranty on pre-2016 Explorers did not cover this since only perforation rust damage was covered and aluminum doesn't rust so no perforation occurs. The ESP also does not cover the aluminum panel corrosion, paint or rust. The only thing that will cover the bubbling is the 5 year, unlimited mileage warranty on 2016 + Explorers.

Peter

My 2015 was covered and hood was replaced at the 35 month/28k point...but not sure which warranty Ford used to replace the hood (36mo/36k or 5yr/unlimited).

Manager said that the aluminum hoods were put on in a shop where steel panels were also assembled and "iron particles" became embedded in the aluminum setting up the corrosion situation. Therefore a "repair" was not an option.

So why has this been a ongoing problem for so many years. Anyone in their right mind would of had it corrected in the first year when hoods started to come back with problems.

So why has this been a ongoing problem for so many years. Anyone in their right mind would of had it corrected in the first year when hoods started to come back with problems.
I agree, but that would be IF they knew what was causing it in the first place.

Peter

I remember reading years back, Chrsyler had the same issue. It was traced back to the deodorant employees were wearing.

I have noticed this on my 2017 Limited. I should see if they will replace the hood.

Someone was able to get Ford to replace it:

Hey Folks,

I bought a used 2016 which was out of warranty. I noticed the hood when we bought it and sure enough Ford approved a brand new hood. I have a 2017 and its just starting to bubble. It goes in next week to have it looked at. I won't settle for anything less than a new hood. Keep on them its a known issue for sure!

Let me know if this works. I need to take mine in. I might just call them first and see what they say though.

Someone was able to get it replaced here:

Mid June I took my 2017 Explorer Sport to the dealer to discuss the paint bubbling issue. They immediately had me take the car next door to the body shop. Body shop guy came out, looked at the car for 2 minutes, and said we'll take care of it.

Hood was repainted not replaced.

I did not read the entire thread but I'm curious if anyone has had any issues with the rear hatch?
Body shop told me that they were also having issues with that.

My rear hatch has the same issue and a spot on the roof. I wonder if I can get them to fix it all. Maybe they will repaint the entire truck lol

Will the fix my roof and rear hatch too? I have bubbling there as well.
No, only the hood is covered by this warranty. It must be replaced with a new one that is supposed to be prepared properly. Repainting it will not solve the corrosion issue. It will return, likely when the warranty is up. Is your factory warranty still valid?

Peter

Mid June I took my 2017 Explorer Sport to the dealer to discuss the paint bubbling issue. They immediately had me take the car next door to the body shop. Body shop guy came out, looked at the car for 2 minutes, and said we'll take care of it.

Hood was repainted not replaced..................................................
They should have replaced it with a new and properly prepared hood. The bubbling may occur again because the initial hoods were contaminated at the factory.

Peter

No, only the hood is covered by this warranty. It must be replaced with a new one that is supposed to be prepared properly. Repainting it will not solve the corrosion issue. It will return, likely when the warranty is up. Is your factory warranty still valid?

Peter

Well, I have the 5-year corrosion one so that should still be valid. I am way past the 3 year 36K miles.

Really wish the other parts were covered.

They may say that the 5 years corrosion warranty only covers perforations. Push it since it is a known factory problem. Mine was still under the 36,000 warranty.

Just found this: The corroding hoods are the product of contamination in the aluminum body panel, which results in bubbling and flaking paint, among other aesthetic issues. ... Over time, the iron particles move into the aluminum body part, causing it to corrode.

They may say that the 5 years corrosion warranty only covers perforations. Push it since it is a known factory problem. Mine was still under the 36,000 warranty.

Just found this: The corroding hoods are the product of contamination in the aluminum body panel, which results in bubbling and flaking paint, among other aesthetic issues. ... Over time, the iron particles move into the aluminum body part, causing it to corrode.
You are confusing aluminum panel warranty with the rust corrosion warranty which is on sheet metal. Since aluminum doesn't rust you won't get any perforation. The aluminum panel warranty was only added to the Warranty Guide in 2016.

Peter

Is there a link to the TSB? Also, should I be worried they will just repaint my current hood instead of actually replacing it with a new one? How would I even know, they could put whatever they want on the invoice.

Is there a link to the TSB? Also, should I be worried they will just repaint my current hood instead of actually replacing it with a new one? How would I even know, they could put whatever they want on the invoice.
It is in our TSB thread in the Sticky section. List of Useful Threads - 2011 + Explorer TSB's & SSM's
It is probably also mentioned within this thread. In any case, TSB not withstanding, it is a warranty item as specified in your Warranty Guide.
If you are concerned they may simply paint it, mark the underside of the hood in an inconspicuous place or two. I think it would take more work to repair, prepare and paint it than simply painting a new one.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just noticed a spot on my 17 yesterday. Going to call the dealer today. My dealer has been known to be a pain to deal with when it comes to things like this. Anyway, I guess it's just recommended to tell them the issue and the TSB number? And after reading the TSB, "install the new panel" from line 6 of the service panel, that's what is signaling for the actual installation of a NEW hood, right?

But reading the warranty guide, aluminum body panels are covered 5 year, unlimited miles so this shouldn't be a fight with the dealer.

Back