How big can you go with 18" wheels? | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How big can you go with 18" wheels?

I have the opportunity to purchase 4x PIU steel rims, 20x lug nuts, 4x centre caps and the 4x Gooodyear Eage RSA 245/55/18 tire that only have 6,000kms on them from a written off RCMP Explorer.

My plan is to buy the set and sell the tires separately but when I did the tire calculation I was surprised that there was such a high variance and that they might be tough to sell on to other explorer owners who require 18" tires. That was all.

Thanks for confirming everything else.
Retail explorers use a 245/60r18 base tire - PIU uses 245/55r18. If someone is buying them for an explorer with 18" rims, the tire size difference is negligible. I don't know what the market for used rims/tires is like where you are at, but if the price is right (on your purchase and your sale), I can't imagine they'd be that difficult to move.

I don't know why someone with an explorer with 20's would want to buy your 18" RSAs, but it could happen... They're okay in the snow, but not a dedicated winter tire.

I believe the op is looking at a higher sidewall not a wider tire since he is looking to go from a 60 to a 70.

Peter
Just an FYI for those who may not know. ( not saying Peter is one of them) that the width matters since the tires profile is a percentage of its width, not an actual measurement. IE
A 265/60 will have more sidewall than a 255/60.

Has anyone put 265/70/18's on a 2019 XLT, without modifications ? Adds 1.5" to sidewall.

Welcome to the Forum Anthony.:wave:
Your thread was merged with this one.
The generally accepted Maximum diameter variance from OEM is 3%. If you are replacing a 245/60R18 with a 265/70R18, the difference is 10.3% or more than 3 times the accepted diameter difference. Not a good thing to do. The extra weight will put more strain on the brakes system and suspension. It will also negatively affect the Traction Control and ABS. Handling and stability will also be affected. 245/60-R18 vs 265/70-R18 Tire Comparison - Tire Size Calculator | Tacoma World

Peter

Back