How does a shade tree mechanic jack an explorer 3' high? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How does a shade tree mechanic jack an explorer 3' high?

Hitchhikingmike

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Dallas, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 XLS
Hey guys,

I was just wondering, if the day were to ever come that I had to take my transmission out to rebuild/fix, as a shade tree mechanic, is there any way I can take a transmission out myself in the home garage without a 6' lift that the dealer has?

I think I would have to get the explorer up off the ground about three feet. I've been pondering how I could get my explorer 3 feet off the ground for a while now. I would need good, safe stands. Does anyone make 3' jack stands? I suppose I could just use a regular hydraulic lift, and place it on top of a box to go higher, but what would be sturdy enough to hold the jack?

Just wondering if there was any way to take a transmission out myself in the home garage without having to go to the stealershp.

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A standard set of car ramps will give you enough room to pull a tranny...

Get a pair of jack stands or ramps plus a transmission jack or adapter for a normal floor jack..

Oh! I never thought about ramps, thanks.

3 feet, I wish.

Do what I do and invite this guy:
arnold-schwarzenegger.jpg

LOL! 12 ton? 4 of those puppies under my explorer could support 20 explorers stacked one on top of each other!

I would just have to also buy a 2 foot hydraulic lift as well. I think the ramps are the cheaper option.

Thanks for the ideas, keep em coming if you have any more creative ones.

You can use a regular jack to remove/install the tranny, I've done more than I can count this way. When I removed the blown M5OD in my sploder sport parts rig I put it on ramps and pulled the t-case and then removed the tranny without a jack, of course I wouldn't do that on a tranny you intend put back in.

I would just have to also buy a 2 foot hydraulic lift as well. I think the ramps are the cheaper option.
The ramps are my choice -- safest too. Jack stands can fail and I've had one break one of the "ears" at the top (cauz most jack stands' center are casted metals and fracture quite easily).

They are only 30" tall..

I want a set like Winter is using on Paul B.s rig..

attachment.php

Of Course, our x is lifted enough that I can slide the transmission out w/out lifting the truck.

~Mark

And uh... how the heck were you able to jack the explorer up that high to begin with to place the jack stands under?

Nice rig btw

Lots of PB Blaster as well. I worked for a company where we finished some of our equipment in the President's garage. Anyway, his son and friends were replacing a tranny on a Gen 2 and there was one bolt that kicked their @$$ the whole night.

You being from Texas, should we be cuing up the "King of the Hill" theme?

Back