Jacking Mishap (no, not that kind of jacking...) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Jacking Mishap (no, not that kind of jacking...)

Well, after coming home from work today I decided that since it was nice, I would get the front end up in the air and let the axle hang, in preparation for pulling it from the truck. In hindsight, I think I would have waited a while longer for the ground to dry out, it was a little soft and didn't support the jack stands very well.....
o9fyfk.jpg

2565hft.jpg

Just when I thought it was good, I noticed that it was kind of leaning to one side. "I should do something about that" I thought. Too late, it started a slow motion slide/fall to the drivers side, jack stands sinking into the ground before toppling, narrowly missing taking out the fence beside the truck. (The hub came to rest about 2 inches from the fence on that side).

2 hours of jacking, positioning stands, lowering onto stands, lifting, repositioning jack stands, lowering, etc. etc. and I finally got it where i wanted it in the first place. And it only took me 4 times as long, 2 floor jacks, 4 jack stands, several cinder blocks, and a highlift.
bitfo1.jpg

1z4l6y0.jpg

12 ton stands fully extended, axle at full droop (3 inches from the ground)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Bloody hell! It could of been worse tho' (the other jacking type of accident). At least there's no damage(?) mate.

Nah, everything's fine. I was worried about the jackstand smashing up my pretty new alum radiator, but it escaped without damage. I'll check everything out better tomorrow, but besides the rotors being packed with dirt and gravel i think everything fine.

whoops

I have some 4x4 timbers to put under them tomorrow. I called it a night once it was stable cause I knocked over my work lights and broke the bulbs. Had to finish with a flashlight. :rolleyes:

Realized I should have done this in the first place about 2 seconds after it fell

At Least No Hammers were involved in this. :p:

And better yet you were NOT under it when it fell.

So lesson learned, no harm done, carry on:salute:

Oh you got to love those oh S**t moments, when its all slow motion and nothing to stop it.
Glad it didn't squish you. We don't need to loose or have anyone else hurt here. Be safe guys and girls.

Back