• Register Today It's free!

how good off road

adam45356

Reaction score
City, State
Piqua,ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991,1992 EB's and 94 LTD
how capable is a 1991 ford explorer stock off road i noticed it has skid plates but i wondering if a rock or such hit the diff or the gas tank how well it whould hold up and i have skid plates on my gas tank 4x4 trasfer case oil and trans pans or somthing like that

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm wondering the same thing about my stock 93. Anybody have any suggestions or ideas

A lot of it depends on the driver. An experienced off-road driver can go places in a stock vehicle without major damage that an ameteur would destroy a build machine. Engine, transmission, gears, tires. Oh yeah the terrain too. It all comes into play off-road. If you are not very experienced (like me) start small. Most ORV parks have the trails marked as to how hard they are and what type of things a vehicle needs to go there.

I am not very experienced off-road, but my 89 ranger did fairly well in mild situations (long ago). Some mud, some rocks, some creeks, etc.

You have to be careful just like any other truck. As long as you don't go plowing into things, especially at any high speed(and I mean high for offroading speed) you will be fine IMO. I don't think you have anything to worry about.

well i aint tried much but i wondered how deep of snow it could go trough being that i live in ohio and we had a huge storm that my little grand am couldnt get true that drift in a drive way from the snow plow whould have been up to my x's front bumper maby higer i just whished i whould have had my explorer then but what killed my grand am was the high water from the snow melt but i dont care how much water the x can go trough i will never try that again.
are old 92 eb did pretty well but we never had 25 inches of snow like we did this year and maby i whould use it in some mud
but i ask this becase i was going down a aley in my town that was pretty messed up and the asfult came up just high enoff to scrape my front diff didnt look damaged but im relly curies is the gas tank skid plate strong enoff to rub like against dirt when going down a steep incline or hole or somthing.

dont have to worry about scraping the rocker panal half of its missing lol thing about geting it fixed but dont know how much it whould cost to get repaired?

how funny i just saw a 2nd gen on the weather channel going trough water up to the back bumper with ease makes me fell a little better than that stupind grand am

the keep showing diffrent views of that explorer on the weather channel anyone else seen it lol

My stock ranger has been in a lot of bad places. If you are careful, they are pretty capable off-road. My gas tank skid plate was scrapped (sp?) up pretty bad, but never bent. I never just dropped it on a rock though. I did slide sideways off a bolder in a creek one night and destroyed my left running board (no body damage).

I have had it hanging on the rear bumper with the rear tires off the ground. With decent tires I have pulled out yotas that were stuck in 24" of snow.

It all depends on the circumstances and the vehicle itself.

i think my axle is eather that trak lock or the number 45 i cant remember with whould be better i know that if im in gravel and spin the tires both of them spin or if you turn sharp one will spin fast and the other still spins just not as fast

My '94 stock except for tires and flowmaster exhaust has been in plenty of scary places, and continues to do so with some caution and common sense. Of course a lift is up next, not huge, 2-2.5"+ 31"tires, to see how much more trouble I can get into.!!!

I just took my '91 out for the first on some local trailes after some major repairs. Except for replacing the broken hubs with WARN manuals it is still stock. While on one particularly rough stretch of trail I had to get thru a dip with a very step drop that was just a bit longer than the length of my XLT folowed by an imediate climb of about the same grade that nearly three lengths. At the top of the climb, in the middle of the trail, was a rock out-copping that had me a little worried. I stopped before proceding, as I am not that experienced, and tried to gauge how I would get past this safely. I decided that to vier left just before the top was the best bet, and try to miss the obstical all together. I went down VERY slow, then gave it power to get up the hill. Apperently I had misjudged the depths of the dips on the way up the climb as I was bounced a bit to the right. My front tire (on the right side) rolled over the rocks with no problems. When it cleared the rock it droped, well, like a rock, compressing the suspesion and I hit the rock hard enough to jolt everyone inside.

After it I was on top I stopped to inspect the damage. I dont now if it was luck, or just REALLY good steel, but the only damage was scratched paint on the right rear leaf spring mount.

And that was the most I worried on the trip. After I got home at the end of the day I did find two minor scrape marks on the gas tank skid plate, but thats all. All in all I am very impressed with my first explorer. Even stock(mostly stock anyway).

I purchased it as a hunting/camping/outing in genral vehical, and it seems to hold its own very well.

What a question to ask on this board :D

The first time I took my X out I was close to stock with an inch and a half lift and 30's. It amazed me. Actually it still does though it has grown up a bit since then.

The thing I watch the most is my gas tank!!!!!!!!

back in 95' i drove my grandpas 94 4x4 auto 4x4 in some 3' snow. no drifts just 3' everywhere. it was in 4low and as long as you kept on the gas it was fine. if you stoped it struggle alittle but other wise it did great. and that was with stock firestones with about 10k miles on them at that time.

I whoop on my explorer ask any one who has wheeled with me.. Explorer's a fairly strong but like all vehicles there is room for improvement. Look around on the board here, you'll see all the stuff people have done with thier trucks and what they're capable of. Take a look in the photo gallery there are alot of pics of people's trucks in action.

Attachments

• fug rear flex.jpg
    fug rear flex.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 467

I have a stock(suspension) 96 with the gas tank skids and the TC and the trans skids and it does very well off-road the kee for me is to keep moving. I got stuck before just because i ws wating for traffic the kee is to find somewere were the isnt mud on the entrance or it is on a majior street. I have put mine through more then 2 feet of mud before and damn ws it fun

My currently stock '94 truck pulled out my brother in laws s-10 blazer from a hole that covered his headlights back to the door handles with water, even after I blew the stock auto hubs. get the right tires, the manual hubs, its a bruiser. check your fluids if you play with water/excessive mudding. especially in snow off-road, know where you are playing, snow has a funny way of filling in deep holes giving you some good holes to fall in if you aren't careful. identify your tow points (frame slots, what have you, get hooks) before you go out, so you know what your feeling for under water/mud/snow.

carry a small shovel (the folding one from the military surplus stores are nice and compact) if your alone you can dig out, may take a while, but its better than sleeping in the truck. carry a machete or small axe, good for getting small limbs to shove under wheels if needed (try and use whats laying around, but sometimes that doesn't exist). that being said, don't wheel alone if you can help it. if you like your interior, a change of clothes is a good idea, or at least towels to cover the seats!

yeah stock x's and Ranger suprise you with a couple hundred invested they will amaze you even more

I agree 100%...I have since learned my lesson, I had mine buried in clay sticky mud up to the axels and I had to dig my way out...took a while and the truck was dirty inside afterwards. I just rocked it back and forth while in 4-lo...that was a year ago and still in great shape. I still go out but with company and tow rope or a com-a-long.

Yeah don't go off roading alone...

So up in northern Michigan (lower peninsula still) I went a way away from our cottage with the Explorer GT (the '92 4 door 4x2 3.27 open). Just hit some dry two tracks out in the woods. On one of those power line corridors (you know what I mean) I was blasting away, probably like doing 35 on some sand. Then I hit some rough stuff and kinda bounced to the side and got it stuck up to the axle in sand! Woo hoo! Hey, it was a $300 truck.

My Verizon reception sucked but I had my Acer tablet running some GPS software, so I called my dad and told him what road to pick me up at. I had to walk like 3 miles :(

My half brother later came out with his GMC 3/4 ton and helped me extract it. EVen with his 4x4 he had trouble getting to where I got my 4x2 stuck

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

sand might be the worst thing to get stuck in... i did it last summer...major lesson learned...ive never heard of anything good from playing in the sand..except ppl at the beaches.... but they usually know how to drive in it...

Back