How many miles do you have now? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How many miles do you have now?

2007 with 4.6. I'm at 199,121 miles. It has been in the family since 70k miles. No major repairs. Fuel pump is the original. Replaced 3 cop's, spark plugs and a few fuel filters. We've run motorcraft semi synthetic oil/filters for most of those miles until recently. My mother gave me the car last year and now I run Mobil 1 extended performance in it with Fram ultra filters. Engine is quiet and runs strong, with little valvetrain noise. Recently had to replace front bearing/hub assemblies and half shafts.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2006 with 152,x... No major repairs needed except new struts. I think it has a broken exhaust manifold stud, but not worth the time/effort/cost to repair.

Anyone has the powered 3rd row seat failed? The gear in the drive has no protection built in and fails easily.
YES, FOUND ONE BROKEN GEAR ASSY - USE IT NOW MANUALLY. I LUBED THE OTHER AND IT WORKS FINE.

How many miles do you have now? And what major repairs have been done to achieve this?

I’m Just curious how well this generation of Explorer does, and how many miles I should expect out of it.

Initially I thought Toyota 4Runner was much better, but after reading some posts, seems it’s not necessarily better than Ford Explorer. How do you think please?

136k miles on my 07 Sportrac XLT 4.0 . Other than the routine stuff like oil changes, tuneup type things like plugs and wires, I've replaced the radiator, thermostat housing (a metal one to replace the factory plastic unit), water pump, door switch, (drivers') and the stereo, still runs great, and no payments!!
I am the original owner

I have a 2007 Limited 4X4 with 203,000 miles. I have replaced the plugs, alternator, rear shocks, upper and lower control arms, ball joints and a battery, that’s all. Change the oil between 3 and 5000 miles. Very dependable vehicle.

How many miles do you have now? And what major repairs have been done to achieve this?

I’m Just curious how well this generation of Explorer does, and how many miles I should expect out of it.

Initially I thought Toyota 4Runner was much better, but after reading some posts, seems it’s not necessarily better than Ford Explorer. How do you think please?
I have '08 Explorer Eddie Bauer 4.6L 296,550. Upper ball joints, water pump, 3 crankshaft sensors. Body good shape,still runs great! No oil burning.

I have '08 Explorer Eddie Bauer 4.6L 296,550. Upper ball joints, water pump, 3 crankshaft sensors. Body good shape,still runs great! No oil burning.
20210505_130248.jpg

2010 Limited V8 155K miles.
Better ride and electronics than 4Runner. V8 is 3 valve in 2010, plenty of power and 20mpg highway, fun to drive. Only repairs have been exhaust manifold studs breaking. Know issue and pita to fix, other than that, would definitely buy again if still in production.
Nuff Said.

2000 Mountaineer...220,000...radiator, and things you would expect...nothing major.

Mine is 2005 xlt 4.0 v6 Up to 265,000 miles now!@. (original engine and tranny)
Have put 1 rear differential in it, Several rounds of chinese wheel bearings and brake pads/rotors.
1 muffler and a complete set of chinese a-arms ball joints ect. in the front
This thing just wont die! Told the mrs's I going to run this thing till the wheels fall off, Well I've bolted them back on since then a few times.
Yes I change the engine oil regulary, Transmission oil is original (Dont touch it if its moving!)

I have 220,000 have replaced the engine twice only because the original problem was it repaired after the first replacement. The intake is made out of plastic warps causing the cylinder to lean out causing engine failure after having the first motor installed and having it fail I located that this cause the original failure a little bit of sandpaper and a true plane took care of it. I replace the transmission once with a used unit never tore into it but I'm pretty sure either a band broke or the part that pushes the band. If there was any resistance whatsoever reverse would not engage. Also the harmonic balancer pulley has a tendency to separate and eating to your crankshaft position sensor leaving you stranded. The thermostat housing that's also made a plastic has cracked and left me stranded twice.. I had a Coil spring break and working in the automotive industry I've only witnessed that on one other vehicle and it was also an explorer.. that's most odd stuff I can think of right off the top of my head aside from the normal egr alternators batteries tires the struts shocks ball joints bearings etc oh and the door seals like to hold the rainwater and rust your doors on inside as well. If you're looking for a hobby I would go for it. Although the resale on a toyota is probably as bit better.

If you do decide to go with the explorer I recommend purchasing a shift kit and installing it day one possibly with a new solenoid pack and of course new fluids and filter for the transmission

I took
1999 Eddie Bauer 4x4, 286K now. Also replaced radiator and thermostat housing, Blower motor, 3X alternators, Plugs/wires, 6X batteries, 5X sets of tires, 3X mufflers/exhaust rusty pipes, 3x O2 Sensors, 2X struts, 2X rear shocks, 2X rear diff oil changes, Radio, Ujoints, LED dash lights, HID conversion, Rear Sub. 2inch lift with shackles, and a partridge in a pear tree. Also need a pinion bearing or entire rear end due to noise. but I give up. Gonna drive it till it literally implodes or I can find a way to retrofit/convert to a cheap electric one day. ;)

I took a 1997 Explorer 4L V6 over from a family member, with 83000 miles on the clock. A month after receiving the vehicle the auto box reverse band broke. Had it repaired for $730 by a reputable company. Having cold start issues and air vent stuck on windscreen position. Other than that, I am so happy with my old 4x4. Such a pleasant drive. Loving it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

1997 xlt, 4.0 pushrod, rwd. The previous owner said the trans was rebuilt, but it's got 330k on it. Bought it 10 years ago for 400, been beating it like it was my job ever since. Last time I drove it, the rear axle locked up, after whining for a couple months. Leaking from the diff cover. But when you're broke, you're broke. I'll be replacing the axle. Other than that though, I've done minor exhaust repairs, the plugs once, oil changes at 15k per, bearings, ball joints, tires tires tires, timing chain cover gasket, and gas. It'll still move under its own power, the diff broke free, but it can't ever be trusted again.

Back