How much would you pay for saleen wing? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How much would you pay for saleen wing?

mr.p

Reaction score
City, State
Berkeley, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 explorer
exactly as the the title, i dont know how to start a poll or i would do that but i couldnt figure it out and didnt want to mess up and feel embarassed lol...

ok so i have a shop that is not local, but can make me a mold from an original part which is expensive, and can reproduce the part for something not really that expensive, the price for the mold would need to be reflected on the initial run of 10 wings, i havent worked out how im going to see how it turns out before i invest in it, they wont make the mold without the money up front, and if the part turns out like crap then im screwed for a big chunk of change. I know the last saleen wing went for like 500$ which is insane but i can see why.

the more the merrier, please only post if you can afford the price you suggest. Sorry to say it would start at 350$ which is alot...anyone interested, i also though about getting them made and getting a carbon fiber overlay done on them, which might be a hit.

Also looking at around 300$ to cover your mirrors in carbon fiber, and 60$ for a gas lid to be done, this is just what ive seen with my research any input is appreciated. if i could get like 25 of these made and sold the price per wing would be 300$ and at 30 these wings would be 200$ a pop, i know its a wet dream to find 30 ppl that will buy them but what the heck! oh and i would have to find someone willing to give up a saleen wing so i could get a mold made of it :(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

While the idea does sound good-it has been suggested several times over the years. Nothing has materialized.
You'll be hard pressed to find someone willing to cough up a wing to make the mold. I venture to say it aint happening.

However-
There is a member by the screen name cobra xp who made a fine replica wing out af a wing from a Kia sedona

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=145251&highlight=sedona

doesnt seem like he formally produces these? i would think a saleen owner would cough it up for a couple hundred bucks but i may be wrong. That kia wing looks nice though. i personally think there is just no demand for it but at 200$ i could see selling lots of them. Im going to talk to some local places to see if they can make a mold for alot cheaper. now if the wing fit on newer explorers and looked good i think it would be a hit.

I believe an actual Saleen wing went for about $650 on ebay recently..:scratch:

The gentleman who bought that wing "might" rent it out, for a lot of money.

I think he said something about it, then decided to keep his part untouched and rare.

650$ now only if everyone would pay that much...ill be honest and throw around a number here but the lowest price for a mold to replicate the wing would be 2750$ :| so i would have to sell enough wings to absorb that amount...it can be done just hard as hell...:mad:...i wonder if i could find a place to make them out of plastic, like abs or polyphrolene or some crap like that, where they could make a mold and then just pour the liquid in and voila a saleen wing...then it would take the price down considerably! any ideas?

I suggest you pick up a book on molds and composites.

aww a book but what is that? :p: yea i think ABS plastic could be doable but again i think everyones over the whole make copies of a saleen wing deal, has anyone looked into other spoilers aside from a kia sedona?

Have you looked into the 2x4 style wings?:D

so, maybe it's a 1x

russian_ricers_04.jpg

hahaha...atleast that guy has a sense of humor with the wings. also i think a toyota 4 runner has a decent wing theolder 4 runner not the new ones. http://www.polyshineauto.com/GRAPHICS/TOYOTA-4Runner.JPG does anyone happen to own a 4 runner? or know if the contour of the spoiler on it is close to an ex?

I have to wonder how much someone would pay for a copy of the wing Ford made as an accessory for the first-gen Explorers.

There were no wings or spoilers on the 1st Gen's....only the 2.5 Gen and 3rd Gen..

Ryan

one just sold on here for like 400 i think, i wanted it but it was 400$ away from getting me wheels :(

if my ex didnt need new torsion keyways to lower it i woulda bought them but it needs around 300-400$ in suspension work just to lower the front. i have an odball :|

I just may have to part with mine for that kind of cash.

I got the dealer installed wing, I figured it must be a rare add-on because I see 20 Ex's a day and have never seen another like it. I've got the ford part number off it if anybody is interested?

2490837_33.jpg

Explorer_0131.jpg

I just may have to part with mine for that kind of cash.

I got the dealer installed wing, I figured it must be a rare add-on because I see 20 Ex's a day and have never seen another like it. I've got the ford part number off it if anybody is interested?

2490837_33.jpg

Explorer_0131.jpg

That wing isn't worth much, it's the saleen wing that goes for big bucks

Back