How realiable are V8 explorers? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How realiable are V8 explorers?

Reaction score
City, State
Houston, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 Ranger Ext Cab 4.0
I am curious as to how reliable a 2wd V8 explorer with 125k miles would be. I am going this afternoon to look at a 2001 EB for $3500. The owner said they have keep up on maintence at every interval and service the transmission every 35-50k miles. The main thing I am worried about is the transmission. I just sold a ranger with a 4r55e that was just nothing but problems. Any input will be greatly appreciated, Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Very reliable. That is the best powertrain/drivetrain combo that was ever in an Ex. a 2wd V8 would be just about bulletproof.

If it is mechanical, it is not if, but when it will break. Good maintenance will prolong the time. Hell, even a big truck will break sooner or later. I had an 86 F-150, 302 cu in with 165,000 on it, and the rods would rattle a little bit. Drove it for over a year before I rebuilt the bottom end. Long story short, I wouldn't be afraid of it.

A 5.0 equipped Explorer is arguably the most bombproof rendition of the Explorer in its illustrious 20 year run. 2WD versions especially. If it has been taken care of, jump on it. You've got another 200-300,000 miles to go before it's dead.

The V8's have a totally different tranny. The 4R70W. In my opinion it's one of the best ones ever built by Ford. Since it's a '01 it's even better. With the mechanical diode and all the other parts that were updated since '93. Have someone do the Jmod and add a larger external cooler and you shouldn't have any problems with it.

Subscribing. I've got and 02 4.6 mounty ill trade it for a decent 01 5.0 in a heart beat.

Ive got 185K on my 99 5.0 AWD, no leaks runs great and burns no oil. It is used to tow various boats up to 19' and a Kubota tractor with front end loader and back blade on it very often in the summer on roads with alot of elevation change.

219k on my 99 AWDriver. No leaks, no burning and runs, drives, looks and functions great. Cant see any other trucks on the horizon to upgrade too so I plan to run this to 300k.
Original alt, starter, fuel pump, among other things. I also agree about the 4R70 being one of the best trans Ford made, especially the later model.

I will part with my 99 when I can get a loaded Ford Edge for $7500, I wont waste my time with a 3rd Gen v8, good motors but junk suspensions.
V8 2wd Exploder would be fun to play with for a bit but wont work in the winter here.

Good luck

I doubt that 2001 EB V8 was 2WD. Mine is AWD and on every auto parts site that I go, there is no other option for transmission, but AWD.
I am sure it was AWD and, because it does not have the switch/lever for 4x4 (being full time AWD), probably the owner listed it as 2WD. Look under for the center differential and the two differentials on axles.

Unless the smart Alec took off the front drive shaft (to "save gas" like many others) and possibly ruined the BW4404 center differential and now it is selling it as 2WD.

I doubt that 2001 EB V8 was 2WD. Mine is AWD and on every auto parts site that I go, there is no other option for transmission, but AWD.
I am sure it was AWD and, because it does not have the switch/lever for 4x4 (being full time AWD), probably the owner listed it as 2WD. Look under for the center differential and the two differentials on axles.

Unless the smart Alec took off the front drive shaft (to "save gas" like many others) and possibly ruined the BW4404 center differential and now it is selling it as 2WD.

car-part.com shows 2WD transmissions from 2001 V8 Explorers available in junk yards :)

They came in 2wd as well.

Not sure what autoparts stores you look at, but I just checked Autozone and Napa and they both list 2wd and Awd. Fueleconomy.gov has a listing for the 5.0 2wd too.

My '99 has just over 85,000 miles on it. I'm second owner (scored it with 36,000 miles). it's been bombproof.

And unlike every other version of the Explorer.....you can put Torque Monster Headers on it. :D

Umm, Jasper sells a rebuilt tranny for a 2WD 5.0 Explorer. Just because yours is AWD doesn't mean they don't exist (though it seems like it when you live around here...)

Anyways, solid setup, no worries.

Very reliable. That is the best powertrain/drivetrain combo that was ever in an Ex. a 2wd V8 would be just about bulletproof.

2000XLT 5.0 2w 188kmi
It's been the best vehicle I've ever owned.

while my 5.0/4R70w/4406 combo has been very reliable, my 4.0 ohv/ m5od has been even less troublesome over the years.

I have owned one of just about every combo there is out there for the 1st and 2nd Gen X.

Even the SOHC (don't like that one so much)...

I order of reliability the 5.0L/2WD is HANDS DOWN the most reliable combination, as was previously stated.

The LEAST reliable combination is the 4.0L SOHC/A4WD (5r55)

I'd buy it.

ive got a 98 302 awd. 154k miles running like a top. did new shocks, and front end (control arms, ball joints, tie rod ends) at 148k, alternator at 138k, and total fluid flush at 150k. Ill trust it over anything i can buy right now.

This thread is exactly what I was looking for. For the last year or so I've been without an Ex and lately I've been missing it more than ever. When I started browsing to see how much a used 2nd gen was going for I noticed a fair amount of the 302's for sale. Thats when I decided I want my next Ex to be the V8, still undecided on 2wd or AWD though. I can now shop with confidence for the big V8 EX's!!!

Thanks guys!

I have the 4.0 OHV and it's given me no problems, no leaks, no smoke. However, the trans is garbage.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If it is mechanical, it is not if, but when it will break. Good maintenance will prolong the time. Hell, even a big truck will break sooner or later. I had an 86 F-150, 302 cu in with 165,000 on it, and the rods would rattle a little bit. Drove it for over a year before I rebuilt the bottom end. Long story short, I wouldn't be afraid of it.

Yeah, even the Titanic "broke", in 2 pieces! But the thought of a mechanical device "breaking" eventually, maybe I'm just a "pick". I like the thought of something "failing", maybe because sumthin' broke, maybe not. imp

Back