How to: 2002 Explorer rear wheel bearing replacement (pictures) | Page 16 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: 2002 Explorer rear wheel bearing replacement (pictures)

Pontisteve, Your awesome.. I also have the V8, and Gas mileage.. I am going to say roughly around 15 a gallon.. maybe a little less.. One thing I always wanted to do , and I might seem a tad bit like a child (But let's face it, I have never owned a rear wheel drive car/truck) always been awd or front wheel drive.. I want to do a damn burnout lol! You mean I can hook up an inline switch to bypass that brown wire, and have just rear wheels to 4wd stock? How does it drive in just rear wheel? I am so used to auto 4x4, I might end up crashing lol.

On a more professional note.. You seem to know your way around this truck very well. I never knew that information about the keypad, and I've googled for it in the past. Maybe I can pick your brain some time, There's a lot of small issue's I have with the truck, I put so much work into the truck, I put more then what it's worth as I am sure we all have. Truck seems to run a lot smoother now that I replaced the toe links, at hwy speeds (70 or so..) I have no shaking at all no more, and when I apply brakes, it stops like a normal car, not pulling or shaking all over the place.. I am going on a 2 hour drive tomorrow so, I will be able to tell more (A lot of freeway driving tomorrow)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes, breaking the brown wire will prevent the front axle from being connected to the transmission by the transfer case. By breaking/unplugging/switching off the brown wire, the front axle will not be engaged.

Then, turn off the traction control via the button in the center console, and you'll be able to do burnouts (in the dirt anyway).

Torque Specs

Is there a torque spec for the lower control arm nut/bolt? I see that the torque for the pinch bolts is 66 ft-lbs and the axle nut is 203 ft-lbs but what about that lower control arm nut?

Clunking noise after bearings and brakes done.

Hi great thread. Just completed both rear wheel bearings (rear drivers was very bad) and replaced the brake pads. Had the hubs and bearing re and re'd by a local machine shop. When i completed the job and test drove it around my Townhouse complex, I noticed a soft clunking noise coming from it seemed the drivers side rear wheel. The clunking increased in frequency and slightly in volume as I picked up speed. Never went far and never really went much over 10 miles an hour and parked it. I am going to jack the back in the air, put it on stands and then start it up and let it coast in drive (with someone manning the brake pedal) to try and determine where the noise is coming from. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Did you.... tighten lug nuts? Torque the axle nut? Adjust the brake shoes to within 1mm or so of the drum? Tighten up the pinch bolts? Make sure that both rod ends were fully seated first? Were the brake shoe springs fully engaged with the shoes? Install the snap ring after pressing in the bearing?

Did the machinist support the bearing properly when he pressed in the bearing and the hub? The bearing can be damaged if you press on it wrong installing it. My guess would be something with the ball joints. Are they bad? You didn't beat on the axle shaft to push it thru the hub did you? You can damage the CV joint doing that.

Be sure to report back.

Bearing were installed properly All nuts axle, lug, pinch were torqued to specs. E brake shoes were left on and not touched and pre install inspection showed nothing obvious. New disc brake pads were installed. Not e brake shoes. Didnt beat on anything.

The rear brake pads could be causing a clunk too. I hadn't thought of that. You've got something loose back there. Wiggle stuff around and see if anything moves.

Yeah def something loose. Didn't have time to check before I had to depart for work (at work now). Will have a look tomorrow afternoon when i get up from working nightshift

Is there a torque spec for the lower control arm nut/bolt? I see that the torque for the pinch bolts is 66 ft-lbs and the axle nut is 203 ft-lbs but what about that lower control arm nut?

Is 111 ft-lbs the correct torque for the lower control arm nut/bolt? Anyone....

If not, then what did you torque it to?

111 ft-lbs is correct.

I got the Explorer jacked in the air all 4 wheels off the ground and ran in it drive. Seems to be the new disc brake pads dragging on the rotor thats making the sound. It just gets somewhat loud at higher speeds. Ran it up to 120 KPH on the stands and nothing flew apart or was shaking like mad, no smoke from friction or failing parts. Not sure what to make of it. Havent had this exact thing happen before and Being 51 years old and have always done my own brakes on every single vehicle ever owned. Maybe the condition will disappear as the pads wear in?

Life can be strange....Fords can be stranger.......is stranger (in this context) even a real word?
Anyways I degress, I took both of the brake calipers off both wheels , lug nutted the rotor on so it wouldnt fly off and ran it in drive. The noise was still noticeable. I mean this isnt a loud frightening noise just a soft repeating thumb or clunk. I re-torques everything including the axle nut which I will admit when I first torqued it I kinda didnt trust my new torque wrench I did it by "feel"....It was shall we say a tad tighter than what the torque wrench setting was telling me. So I bit it and decided to trust the wrench. I set them to 203 FTLBs. Re assemblyed everything and away I went for a test. A first the noise was still there and it was even more prominent when turning to a mildly sharp left with speed becoming almost a knock. Took it up and down the hyway and I started to notice I couldnt hear the noise. Tryed some sharp lefties and still no noise. So it seems it corrected itself....could I be so lucky?. Going to take to a "real" mechanic friend of mine and see what he says about it on Friday.

That's concerning. When you are swerving to one side or the other at road speeds, what you're really doing is transferring more weight to the wheel bearing that's on the side opposite of the direction you are turning. So a right turn would mean more pressure on the left wheel bearing.

This swerve test is used to find bad wheel bearings. Often, with a worn out bearing, you will hear a bad bearing roar louder as you transfer more weight onto it. Obviously your bearings aren't worn out, but that doesn't mean there isn't something wrong with it. A defect perhaps, or a bearing that was damaged during the press-in. You could try removing the axle shaft from the hub, and spinning it by hand to see if you feel anything.

If you eliminated the brakes from the equation, and double-checked everything else, things aren't looking good. Also, running the car on jack stands with the calipers removed and the rotors nutted down, you've eliminated all the suspension and steering components, and have little left to suspect except the moving parts... CV axle, bearing, and hub. I hope you bought $100 Timken bearings, and not the $40 chinese ones.

Bearings are 100 dollar SKF...good quality not chinese. Like I said the condition has disappeared. I am taking it to a good friend who has his own automotive repair business and specializes in brakes and bearings on Friday to see what he thinks.

I’ve read through the entire thread a couple of times. I’ve seen some folks indicate that this project went smoothly and without a hitch. Others have had a hard time. Having just finished this project I have several comments. Perhaps more of a long rant...sorry.

First, I would say that to take on this project you need to be brave and be lucky. I say “brave” because until you complete the project you will not know what you are getting yourself into. I say “lucky” because it is very clear that depending on your vehicle you could be have it easy or this could be the project from hell. I’ve pretty much come to this conclusion after having spoken with have a dozen mechanics who have perform rear wheel bearing replacement on 3rd generation Explorers. In fact, I have been told that the Expeditions that followed the Explorer with independent rear suspension have the same exact problem.

This was my experience.

The pinch bolts were not an issue at all with me. Probably thanks to this thread showing how to deal with the pinch bolts.

Disconnecting the parking brake cable wasn’t too difficult as I used the suggestion to pull down on the cable just under the vehicle below the driver’s seat then inserting a pin into the appropriate hole in the parking brake mechanism in the cab. This is actually the procedure that Ford provides. The pin will remove tension on the parking brake cable giving you enough slack to disconnect the cable ends from the “pinchers” on the brake assembly of the spindle/knuckle.

I have a 4 wheel drive vehicle. There is a slight difference from the 2 wheel drive models. On my vehicle there are wheel slippage sensors on the rear wheels. Basically, there is wiring with a magnetic pickup sensor that must be unscrewed from the spindle/knuckle assembly. As I recall, it is a simple 10mm bolt that is removed then the magnetic sensor just comes right off. Very easy. As far as I can tell, this is the only difference between the 2 and 4 wheel drive vehicles for this project.

Using a hub puller to remove the spindle/knuckle assembly off of the axle spline was VERY, VERY, VERY difficult. Did I say VERY VERY VERY difficult? From this thread you’ll note that for many it wasn’t a big deal to get the assembly off. Whereas for others, it was a problem. A big problem. In fact, I sensed disbelief by a few who probably found this part of the process very easy. That is, they asked to make sure the axle nut was removed. I assure you, the folks who were having a problems really were struggling. This is part one of why I say you need to be brave and lucky. With a rented hub puller set up on the right wheel assembly and ready to pull I cranked on the hub puller bolt. I could NOT turn it at all. I then replace my wrench with a breaker bar to get more leverage. I had to have someone use a long screw driver to hold the hub puller to keep it from turning as I tried to turn the hub puller bolt with a breaker bar. The bolt just would not turn. It felt like I was about to strip the threads out of the hub puller bolt. Trust me. I do have experience using a hub puller. I know what easy feels like and what VERY, VERY, VERY difficult feels like. You can read about that in this thread.

I was getting ready to give up. However, I decided I would do a couple of things. First, I tried to spray PB Blaster on the axle spline. I let it soak. I tried to turn the hub puller bolt again. Again, no dice. I’m positive that hub puller was getting ready to fail. Next, I used a heat gun and tried to heat up the hub and axle spline. The heat gun got the temperature up to around 400 degrees. Not really hot but perhaps enough to work on the microscopic gunk holding that hub on. I sprayed it down again with PB Blaster and let it soak. Then one last try before giving up. I really pushed hard on the breaker bar and my helper really struggled to keep that hub puller from rotating on the hub/spindle/knuckle assembly. Dang, that thing turned just the slightest amount almost to the point where you wondered if it really turned or if you started to strip the threads on the hub puller bolt. Slowly but surely it became evident that the hub puller was working. Let me tell you….that SOB was hell to turn each and every turn to the last bitter thread. The hub puller bolt was within 1/8” of running out thread before that sucker finally separated from the axle spline. With one assembly off the car I was confident that this project might have a good conclusion after all. I was looking forward to the left assembly being easier than the right side. Guess what? No luck either. The left SOB also fought me to the bitter last thread. These hub/spindle/knuckle assemblies should have come off with 5 minutes work each. I spent two hours getting those suckers off. I tell you my story to give hope to those who also were not lucky and found their assemblies pretty much impossible to come off. What was disappointing was that the front knuckle assemblies came off with very little effort whereas the rears were the SOBs from hell. Keep in mind that my vehicle is a garage kept Florida vehicle that has never seen snow/ice/salt nor lake water, etc. Remember, you have to be brave and lucky. But wait, that isn’t the end of my saga. Part II of why you have to be brave and lucky…

With the hub/spindle/knuckle assemblies off the vehicle I thought the hard part was over. That is, just drop them off with a shop and have them press out the old bearings then and press in the new ones. Drop them off at the shop and $30 - $40 per side and done. WRONG! Prior to removing the assemblies I called half a dozen shops to get pricing as well as to insure the shop was competent. Well, I thought I found the perfect place. A small private shop where the owner ran the shop and only wanted $25 per side. What I liked about this guy was that he was so well thought of in the area that he had his own weekend “mechanic show” on the radio (Atlanta area not “po-dunkville”).

So I drop them off and decide to wait for them. The first thing the “radio expert” does is try to whack out the hubs with a socket and baby sledge hammer a couple of times. When that doesn’t work he tells me that I’ll need to remove the brake pads so that he can press the hubs out. Press out the hubs…what a novel idea. At this point I’m thinking this guy doesn’t have a clue. Banging them out with a sledge hammer???? Ugh! Disappointed I decide to go home and research again a shop to do the work and at least look into this “sledge hammer” business. After re-reading this thread I note that there were some who did beat them out with a hammer. Hmm, maybe the “expert” really did know what he was talking about. From phone calls to other shops I get one of several responses (1) bring them in so we can look at your assemblies – meaning they don’t have a clue, (2) the backplate needs to be cut off and the hubs will get destroyed so bring new hubs with you, (3) we only do that work with the assemblies on the vehicle using our parts, (4) we can’t promise when we could get to it, (5) It will cost $120+ per side.

It was all very discouraging. I decided to give the “expert” another chance. I took off the brakes and unscrewed the backplate so that he had room to work and dropped them off. Half a day later, I called and was told that he could do them but only if I brought in new hubs because the old hubs will get destroyed since he didn’t have the right adapters for his press. At this point, I had enough of the “expert”. What really ticked me off about this guy was the conversation I had with him when I dropped the assemblies off to him the second time. I tried to give him some information I garnished from this thread. The idea was that since he didn’t have specific experience with 3rd generation Explorers I would help him understand the potential problems and the way to get around them. He cut me off mid-sentence and told me: “I don’t like to be told how to do my job. I’ve pressed thousands of wheel bearings and I can do this with my eyes closed. Don’t worry. I know what I’m doing”. Arrogant and unwilling to learn something new make for a poor choice of mechanics.

I decided I needed to find someone who specifically did this job on 3rd generation Explorers. The first place I found wanted $120 per side. This after all the work I did to get the assemblies to him. He wanted to cut the back plate and he said he would destroy the hubs in the process. Next!

The next place was promising. He said it would cost $50 per side. I dropped them off and kept my fingers crossed. As soon as I got home I received a phone call from him telling me that he needs to use a torch to get the hubs out and it would take one hour per assembly. Also, he indicated that I would need to supply new hubs. Next!

Very frustrated, I decided to go to the local Ford stealership. Of course the stealership wanted $150 dollars per side. Honestly, if felt as though they didn’t want my business and gave me the typical story about how the rear wheel bearings on a 3rd generation Explorers are a nightmare. Also, they indicated that they just couldn’t get to it any time soon. It was clear to the stealership that I wasn’t going to bite. He suggested I go down to the local NAPA store as they sometimes sent work to them. I previously called this NAPA store but was told they didn’t have a press nor shop. Confused, I drove down there anyway as Ford insisted there was a small shop behind the store.

Of course, when I got to NAPA I was told they did not have a shop. I explained to them that Ford told me they sent work to them. The NAPA guy says “That’s right. They do. We send the work to another NAPA store 20 miles away where they have a machine shop”. I decide this remote NAPA store with machine shop HAS TO BE the solution. That has, real experience with these assemblies and perhaps at a reasonable price. I take the 20 mile drive to the Lithonia, Georgia NAPA with the machine shop. When there I get told $50 per side but the machinist just left for lunch for an hour. I wait an hour then the machinist shows up. He takes one look at my assemblies and says “those are from an Explorer, aren’t they?”. Clearly, this guy knows exactly what he is looking at and what it takes to do the job. Of course, he tells me it will cost $65 per side not $50. This is $15 to $30 more per side than I expected. However, it is clear this guy knows exactly what he is doing.

At this point, I REALLY, REALLY, REALLY need to get my car back together so I used this guy. There were no better alternatives. The best part of using this guy was he was willing to work with me. That is, press out the hub and bearing. Install the new bearing but DO NOT install the hub until I install the parking brake pads. Installing the brakes only takes 10 minutes if the hub is not in your way.

I waited while he got to work right away. It took him 1 hour 40 minutes to get the hubs out and install the new bearings. He gave me the hub-less assemblies for me to take home to install the brakes. He wasn’t done with the hubs though. Apparently, he had to cut the hubs out of the spindle/knuckle. He cut out the side of the bearing then removed the bearings and separated the hub from the spindle/knuckle. Then he had to cut the outter race to get it out of the spindle/knuckle. After installing the bearings and giving them to me he had to cut off the inner race from the hub. He did this whilst I went home to install the brakes. When I came back he simply pressed in my old hubs. It took him 5 minutes. I asked him if this is typical for the Explorer. He indicated that you have to be lucky. Half the time he has to cut them out as described above. He wasn’t lucky with mine and probably spent 2+ hours for both assemblies. Apparently, the hubs can get “welded/bonded” to the bearing. There is no way you could have pressed the hubs out in this case. Certainly, banging them out with a hammer would have been impossible. This guy proved to me that a skilled person who knows what they are doing with the right tools can do the job without cutting the backplate or destroying the hub. I learned that it can be very difficult to find someone who really knows how to do these assemblies when you are not lucky.

My long winded rant is not meant to discourage anyone from attempting this job. I just wanted to share my experience with you and explain what I meant when I said you have to be brave and lucky to pull this off. While pulling the assemblies off of the axle spline was difficult the second part in finding a service to press the bearings was a nightmare and the hardest part of the job. This, even though the whole idea was to pay someone to do the pressing of the bearings. There are too many "fool" mechanics out there that just might end up costing you more money and grief because they lack experience with the 3rd generation Explorer bearings.

Reassembling the vehicle was a piece of cake. I torque everything to spec. I used Locktite blue on all nuts/bolts EXCEPT for the hub nut (35mm). Also, I put lithium grease on the control arm stubs that go into the pinchers. I put anti seize grease on the axle spline.

Total cost was $240 for both sides. That breaks down to $55 for Timken bearings and $65 labor for bearing removal/install job per side. I rented for free a 250 ft-lb torque wrench and the hub puller from Advanced Auto.

p.s. Thanks to Pontisteve for answering some of my questions in private messaging.

Wow, what an unbelievable time you had, compared to mine. My hub assemblys came off so easy that i could turn the hub puller screw by hand to get them off. I did use my impact gun to remove them but they came off in seconds. I took both rear assemblys to a local long time reputable (50+ Years) machine shop. I did not remove the e-brake pads nor did I remove the backing plate. 2 hours later they were done. I did have to provide one new hub as the bearing on that one was completely disintregrated and actually wore the shaft of the hub enough that the bearing would have been loose and would have very quickly wore out. BTW, My noise issue is gone and my mechanic friend couldnt find anything wrong. Told me to bring it back if the problem returned. So far its running good....nice and quiet.:D

I’ve read through the entire thread a couple of times. I’ve seen some folks indicate that this project went smoothly and without a hitch. Others have had a hard time. Having just finished this project I have several comments. Perhaps more of a long rant...sorry.

First, I would say that to take on this project you need to be brave and be lucky. I say “brave” because until you complete the project you will not know what you are getting yourself into. I say “lucky” because it is very clear that depending on your vehicle you could be have it easy or this could be the project from hell. I’ve pretty much come to this conclusion after having spoken with have a dozen mechanics who have perform rear wheel bearing replacement on 3rd generation Explorers. In fact, I have been told that the Expeditions that followed the Explorer with independent rear suspension have the same exact problem.

This was my experience.

The pinch bolts were not an issue at all with me. Probably thanks to this thread showing how to deal with the pinch bolts.

Disconnecting the parking brake cable wasn’t too difficult as I used the suggestion to pull down on the cable just under the vehicle below the driver’s seat then inserting a pin into the appropriate hole in the parking brake mechanism in the cab. This is actually the procedure that Ford provides. The pin will remove tension on the parking brake cable giving you enough slack to disconnect the cable ends from the “pinchers” on the brake assembly of the spindle/knuckle.

I have a 4 wheel drive vehicle. There is a slight difference from the 2 wheel drive models. On my vehicle there are wheel slippage sensors on the rear wheels. Basically, there is wiring with a magnetic pickup sensor that must be unscrewed from the spindle/knuckle assembly. As I recall, it is a simple 10mm bolt that is removed then the magnetic sensor just comes right off. Very easy. As far as I can tell, this is the only difference between the 2 and 4 wheel drive vehicles for this project.

Using a hub puller to remove the spindle/knuckle assembly off of the axle spline was VERY, VERY, VERY difficult. Did I say VERY VERY VERY difficult? From this thread you’ll note that for many it wasn’t a big deal to get the assembly off. Whereas for others, it was a problem. A big problem. In fact, I sensed disbelief by a few who probably found this part of the process very easy. That is, they asked to make sure the axle nut was removed. I assure you, the folks who were having a problems really were struggling. This is part one of why I say you need to be brave and lucky. With a rented hub puller set up on the right wheel assembly and ready to pull I cranked on the hub puller bolt. I could NOT turn it at all. I then replace my wrench with a breaker bar to get more leverage. I had to have someone use a long screw driver to hold the hub puller to keep it from turning as I tried to turn the hub puller bolt with a breaker bar. The bolt just would not turn. It felt like I was about to strip the threads out of the hub puller bolt. Trust me. I do have experience using a hub puller. I know what easy feels like and what VERY, VERY, VERY difficult feels like. You can read about that in this thread.

I was getting ready to give up. However, I decided I would do a couple of things. First, I tried to spray PB Blaster on the axle spline. I let it soak. I tried to turn the hub puller bolt again. Again, no dice. I’m positive that hub puller was getting ready to fail. Next, I used a heat gun and tried to heat up the hub and axle spline. The heat gun got the temperature up to around 400 degrees. Not really hot but perhaps enough to work on the microscopic gunk holding that hub on. I sprayed it down again with PB Blaster and let it soak. Then one last try before giving up. I really pushed hard on the breaker bar and my helper really struggled to keep that hub puller from rotating on the hub/spindle/knuckle assembly. Dang, that thing turned just the slightest amount almost to the point where you wondered if it really turned or if you started to strip the threads on the hub puller bolt. Slowly but surely it became evident that the hub puller was working. Let me tell you….that SOB was hell to turn each and every turn to the last bitter thread. The hub puller bolt was within 1/8” of running out thread before that sucker finally separated from the axle spline. With one assembly off the car I was confident that this project might have a good conclusion after all. I was looking forward to the left assembly being easier than the right side. Guess what? No luck either. The left SOB also fought me to the bitter last thread. These hub/spindle/knuckle assemblies should have come off with 5 minutes work each. I spent two hours getting those suckers off. I tell you my story to give hope to those who also were not lucky and found their assemblies pretty much impossible to come off. What was disappointing was that the front knuckle assemblies came off with very little effort whereas the rears were the SOBs from hell. Keep in mind that my vehicle is a garage kept Florida vehicle that has never seen snow/ice/salt nor lake water, etc. Remember, you have to be brave and lucky. But wait, that isn’t the end of my saga. Part II of why you have to be brave and lucky…

With the hub/spindle/knuckle assemblies off the vehicle I thought the hard part was over. That is, just drop them off with a shop and have them press out the old bearings then and press in the new ones. Drop them off at the shop and $30 - $40 per side and done. WRONG! Prior to removing the assemblies I called half a dozen shops to get pricing as well as to insure the shop was competent. Well, I thought I found the perfect place. A small private shop where the owner ran the shop and only wanted $25 per side. What I liked about this guy was that he was so well thought of in the area that he had his own weekend “mechanic show” on the radio (Atlanta area not “po-dunkville”).

So I drop them off and decide to wait for them. The first thing the “radio expert” does is try to whack out the hubs with a socket and baby sledge hammer a couple of times. When that doesn’t work he tells me that I’ll need to remove the brake pads so that he can press the hubs out. Press out the hubs…what a novel idea. At this point I’m thinking this guy doesn’t have a clue. Banging them out with a sledge hammer???? Ugh! Disappointed I decide to go home and research again a shop to do the work and at least look into this “sledge hammer” business. After re-reading this thread I note that there were some who did beat them out with a hammer. Hmm, maybe the “expert” really did know what he was talking about. From phone calls to other shops I get one of several responses (1) bring them in so we can look at your assemblies – meaning they don’t have a clue, (2) the backplate needs to be cut off and the hubs will get destroyed so bring new hubs with you, (3) we only do that work with the assemblies on the vehicle using our parts, (4) we can’t promise when we could get to it, (2) It will cost $120+ per side.

It was all very discouraging. I decided to give the “expert” another chance. I took off the brakes and unscrewed the backplate so that he had room to work and dropped them off. Half a day later, I called and was told that he could do them but only if I brought in new hubs because the old hubs will get destroyed since he didn’t have the right adapters for his press. At this point, I had enough of the “expert”. What really ticked me off about this guy was the conversation I had with him when I dropped the assemblies off to him the second time. I tried to give him some information I garnished from this thread. The idea was that since he didn’t have specific experience with 3rd generation Explorers I would help him understand the potential problems and the way to get around them. He cut me off mid-sentence and told me: “I don’t like to be told how to do my job. I’ve pressed thousands of wheel bearings and I can do this with my eyes closed. Don’t worry. I know what I’m doing”. Arrogant and unwilling to learn something new make for a poor choice of mechanics.

I decided I needed to find someone who specifically did this job on 3rd generation Explorers. The first place I found wanted $120 per side. This after all the work I did to get the assemblies to him. He wanted to cut the back plate and he said he would destroy the hubs in the process. Next!

The next place was promising. He said it would cost $50 per side. I dropped them off and kept my fingers crossed. As soon as I got home I received a phone call from him telling me that he needs to use a torch to get the hubs out and it would take one hour per assembly. Also, he indicated that I would need to supply new hubs. Next!

Very frustrated, I decided to go to the local Ford stealership. Of course the stealership wanted $150 dollars per side. Honestly, if felt as though they didn’t want my business and gave me the typical story about how the rear wheel bearings on a 3rd generation Explorers are a nightmare. Also, they indicated that they just couldn’t get to it any time soon. It was clear to the stealership that I wasn’t going to bite. He suggested I go down to the local NAPA store as they sometimes sent work to them. I previously called this NAPA store but was told they didn’t have a press nor shop. Confused, I drove down there anyway as Ford insisted there was a small shop behind the store.

Of course, when I got to NAPA I was told they did not have a shop. I explained to them that Ford told me they sent work to them. The NAPA guy says “That’s right. They do. We send the work to another NAPA store 20 miles away where they have a machine shop”. I decide this remote NAPA store with machine shop HAS TO BE the solution. That is, real experience with these assemblies and perhaps at a reasonable price. I take the 20 mile drive to this “po-dunkville” town with the NAPA machine shop. When there I get told $50 per side but the machinist just left for lunch for an hour. I wait an hour then the machinist shows up. He takes one look at my assemblies and says “those are from an Explorer, aren’t they?”. Clearly, this guy knows exactly what he is looking at and what it takes to do the job. Of course, he tells me it will cost $65 per side not $50. This is $15 to $30 more per side than I expected. However, it is clear this guy knows exactly what he is doing.

At this point, I REALLY, REALLY, REALLY need to get my car back together so I used this guy. There were no better alternatives. The best part of using this guy was he was willing to work with me. That is, press out the hub and bearing. Install the new bearing but DO NOT install the hub until I install the parking brake pads. Installing the brakes only takes 10 minutes if the hub is not in your way.

I waited while he got to work right away. It took him 1 hour 40 minutes to get the hubs out and install the new bearings. He gave me the hub-less assemblies for me to take home to install the brakes. He wasn’t done with the hubs though. Apparently, he had to cut the hubs out of the spindle/knuckle. He cut out the side of the bearing then removed the bearings and separated the hub from the spindle/knuckle. Then he had to cut the outter race to get it out of the spindle/knuckle. After installing the bearings and giving them to me he had to cut off the inner race from the hub. He did this whilst I went home to install the brakes. When I came back he simply pressed in my old hubs. It took him 5 minutes. I asked him if this is typical for the Explorer. He indicated that you have to be lucky. Half the time he has to cut them out as described above. He wasn’t lucky with mine and it probably spent 2+ hours for both assemblies. Apparently, the hubs can get “welded/bonded” to the bearing. There is no way you could have pressed the hubs out in this case. Certainly, banging them out with a hammer would have been impossible. This guy proved to me that a skilled person who knows what they are doing with the right tools can do the job without cutting the backplate or destroying the hub. I learned that it can be very difficult to find someone who really knows how to do these assemblies when you are not lucky.

My long winded rant is not meant to discourage anyone from attempting this job. I just wanted to share my experience with you and explain what I meant when I said you have to be brave and lucky to pull this off. While pulling the assemblies off of the axle spline was difficult the second part in finding a service to press the bearings was a nightmare and the hardest part of the job. This, even though I paid someone to do the work.

Reassembling the vehicle was a piece of cake. I torque everything to spec. I used Locktite blue on all nuts/bolts EXCEPT for the hub nut (35mm). Also, I put lithium grease on the control arm stubs that go into the pinchers. I put anti seize grease on the axle spline.

Total cost was $240 for both sides. That breaks down to $55 for Timken bearings and $65 labor for bearing removal/install job per side. I rented for free a 250 ft-lb torque wrench and the hub puller from Advanced Auto.

p.s. Thanks to Pontisteve for answering some of my questions in private messaging.

That's strange, I've done both sides a few times over the years, and have never used a hub puller on either rear side, I always put the axle nut on backwards, screw it down some, then just give it a couple of slaps with the sludge hammer, and it pops loose.. So far I have not damaged the threads at all.

Also, I have not expereinced any issues with pressing or removing the bearings, the first two times I have done them, My local machine shop had pressed and removed for me, the last time the driver side was done, I have used a friends press and pressed it out and the new ones in..

I live in Michigan, Lots of snow and Salt and plenty of dirt roads.. (Strange though, that I am always having problems with the rear bearings..)

Yes, I'd thought maybe it was the way it was installed.. But, the first time back in 05 when I got my truck it was still under warranty, The dealer had replaced both rear bearings and the drivers front. The second time was no more then a year later and it was the passenger side, I actually paid for that to be done.. It then lasted about 2 years till I had to replace both sides again (Using timkin bearings this time, I did it my self), then I am not sure how long down the road it was, but I put a cheap bearing on the passenger side rear ..

Though all the times, I have not had a problem finding anyone to press the bearing or remove it..

I guess some are a pain in the butt though... I have nothing but nightmares with this truck.. I just replaced the rear struts, toe links, control arms (Upper and lower) and now have to replace the front.. what a pain... (eventually I'll get around to it..)

quick question, Is it easier pressing in & out the hubs compared to the bearing itself? I ask because I ordered 2 new rear knuckles to have as back up with bearings in them so I can rotate them out everytime these damn bearings go out. Basically remove the old knuckles and remove hubs and backplate and attach backplate and press new hubs and then slap on vehicle. Keep the process going as they need replacing.

I know I will be doing this over and over seeing I do a lot of driving on the Autobahn here. The rear were replaced last year along with fronts and all 4 need replacing now. 35k miles in a year and half so you get the drift.

Pressing bearings and hubs

I thought I would give my experience with pressing the hubs and bearings. For me, this was the hardest part of the job. Popping the ball joints and rod ends out without damaging the boots was another. (The rod ends don't have the typical flat on them for the pickle fork to press against, so damaging the boot is really easy to do).

Once I removed the spindle from the vehicle, and the brakes were removed (while it was still on the vehicle), you're down to getting out the bearing and the hub. You can now buy just the bearing, but back then they really only came with the hub assembly (hub, bearing, snap ring).

I took a baby sledge hammer and a socket to beat the hub out of the bearing. It came out easy, but if I remember correctly, the inner race may have still been attached to the hub shaft. Didn't matter, since I had a new hub, but you could easily remove the inner race from the hub by cutting gently thru it with a thin cutoff wheel, and then breaking it the rest of the way off with a flathead screwdriver. Don't cut all the way, or you'll cut into the hub!

The wheel bearing consists of a wide outer race, two tapered bearings facing eachother, and an inner race. The first tapered bearing can be beat out. The second bearing, I can't remember, but it can either be beat out or pressed out. At some point, you'll end up with just the outer race left in the spindle. Here's the hard part.

I took mine to a 10 ton shop press, and it wouldn't budge. I mean I was hanging from the press handle, and there was so much pressure I was afraid something was going to break on the press. At this point, I found out this was THE problem with these things.

I used a small, thin, half worn off cutoff wheel in a drill, and cut thru the bulk of the bearing race (especially the middle of it, which is the thickest) the only way you can... at a 45 degree angle to the bearing. With the bearing weakened, back to the press I went.

This time, it came out with not so much force. It does so by breaking the race. Once the race breaks on that 45 degree cut, it is able to be pressed out. Keep the race. You may need it to press it back in.

Next step, press in the new bearing. But you have to be really careful about how to press it in. You must not push on the bearing!!! You have to spread the load evenly, and push on the race any time you can. With the new bearing pressed in and bottomed out in the spindle, install the snap ring.

Next, flip it over and press in the hub. Again, you have to be really careful about what you're pressing on. You must support the bearing and try to only press against the (supported) inner race.

I don't remember all the details about what I used, but I do remember going to Lowe's and buying a $45 ball valve from the plumbing section. A big sucker. Somehow, it had the right shape to support the bearing in this pressing process. Later, I returned it. I was just using it for the bronze flange as a support.

BEFORE you press the hub into the bearing, reinstall the backing plate. If you get this timed right, you don't need to cut the backing plate. The E-brake shoes should be removed before the spindle goes to the press. The E-brakes can be reinstalled with the hub already pressed in, but it would be easier if you reinstall the brake shoes before the hub is pressed in.

IF you reinstall the E-brakes after the hub is pressed in, like I did, you can use a headlight adjusting tool (T-handle with a small hook on the other end) to grab those tiny brake springs and pull them over to the other shoe.

I must emphasize two important parts here:
1) You probably have to cut the outer race to weaken it, in order to get it to break under pressure and press out without further grief.
2) If you reinstall the backing plate before you press in the hub, you don't have to cut the backing plate.

If you do cut the backing plate, because you're an idiot like me and forgot to before pressing in the hub, then you'll find there are 3 bolts holding the backing plate on, but you really now need four bolts. There is a 4th hole there, but I think it has to be tapped for the appropriate thread, and a 4th bolt needs to be bought. Just match it and the thread tap up with the other 3 bolts.

As for getting the ball joints out, remove the pinch bolt, spread the pinch as best as you can using a big screwdriver or something, soak PB blaster at the top and into the pinch bolt hole, and smack the side of the control arm with a baby sledge. This breaks the bond loose, and then she comes out easy. Prying don't get it.

For the steering rod end, you have to find a way to wedge a wedge in between the rod end and the spindle. If you try to use a pickle fork, you'll destroy the boot, and ultimately the rod end, because there is nothing for the pickle fork to press against in the joint.

While I didn't have any trouble with using a hub puller to press the axle out of the hub, it might be worth a shot to do this before you even start the job: Jack the truck up so the wheel is off the ground, leave the truck in park, and rotate the wheel back and forth to try and break the splines free of eachother. Or maybe this should be done after taking the hub nut off, and only if the axle doesn't want to come loose. Do NOT beat on the axle, or the axle nut and axle. This could damage the CV joints. That's why you use a puller instead of a hammer.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No packing grease?

First of all, AWESOME thread! Keep it up. I remember watching my dad do the front bearings on a '81 F150 and used packing grease on the bearings. I don't see anything about that in this post. Is that something that is done already before the install? This will be my first time doing the rear bearings, wish me luck.

Back