How to: Explorer LED Interior swap + Puddle Lamps DIY | Page 28 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Explorer LED Interior swap + Puddle Lamps DIY

I used a plastic panel removal tool ... there is a clip on one end and extension/plug socket on the other(you can see it in my one photo that has the board, housing and new led). The clip faces forward while the plug/socket face the rear and support the rear of the housing by over haging the ceiling panel.

I put a plastic panel removal tool under the front(clip side) and pried it down slowly but with firm pressure, after the clip cleared the ceiling panel the entire housing will slide forward and out exposing the plug/socket on the rear side. Unplug it and you are good to go.

Removing the led on the board is kinda of a pita. I rigged up a heatgun as a hot air rework gun and almost got it de-soldered... Ultimately I ended up sticking a big chisel tip on my solder iron cranked it up and use electronic flush cutters.

I actually ended up going with the Drive Bright modification and LEDs.

Thanks for the help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Over the years I have purchased many LEDs for my own projects and for people I know that like my work. I have always gone to
SuperBright LEDs. Not only have I found most everything I need but their support is outstanding. I have needed idea and told them what I was doing and over the phone they would tell me to look at certain products and IF I needed help with certain wiring they would be there to help. Fortunately, I was an electrician for over 30 years so I pretty much figured stuff out.

K, been looking for half an hour. How the heck do I open the very last light on the ceiling? 3rd row cargo….I’ve got it out of the headline but how do I put a new bulb in? (2016 Sport)

Thanks for mentioning our DriveBright Explorer dome light LED upgrade service. We have done well over 2,000 Explorer dome light LED upgrades over the past 8 years. Our LEDs are incredibly bright and an excellent true white color. Here is a link to all of our interior LED lighting products for the Ford Explorer:

Here is a good video I made on how to replace the bulbs in the front map lights:

Both-side-by-side-scaled.jpg

Thanks for mentioning our DriveBright Explorer dome light LED upgrade service. We have done well over 2,000 Explorer dome light LED upgrades over the past 8 years. Our LEDs are incredibly bright and an excellent true white color. Here is a link to all of our interior LED lighting products for the Ford Explorer: [
Here is a good video I made on how to replace the bulbs in the front map lights:

Do you offer any other LEDs colors other than white? How about magenta? Its the only light I haven't changed 😂

Do you offer any other LEDs colors other than white? How about magenta? Its the only light I haven't changed 😂
We also offer a blue LED. We do not have a magenta color LED. If you post a photo of the magenta LED you want to use, I can tell you whether we can install it on your Explorer dome light circuit board.

Blue-LED.jpg

Here are the magenta bulbs I am using: Amazon product ASIN B00JDL96PW
Even if its a "special order" I would be interested. I like the blue as well. I didn't see anywhere to select a color from your website not sure if its just not updated yet.
Those 5050 5 SMD LED bulbs are not very bright, especially in magenta color. I can use those magenta LEDs, but I do not think you will be happy with the light output. The blue LED we use is specially made for us, just like the white LED we use. They are extremely bright. There is no additional charge for the blue LED upgrade service. The blue LED upgrade is special order only. Just place the order for the standard LED upgrade service, then send us an email (info@daytimebrightlites.com) or call (913) 304-0720 and let us know you want the blue LED.

Explorer-Banner.gif

Those 5050 5 SMD LED bulbs are not very bright, especially in magenta color. I can use those magenta LEDs, but I do not think you will be happy with the light output. The blue LED we use is specially made for us, just like the white LED we use. They are extremely bright. There is no additional charge for the blue LED upgrade service. The blue LED upgrade is special order only. Just place the order for the standard LED upgrade service, then send us an email (info@daytimebrightlites.com) or call (913) 304-0720 and let us know you want the blue LED.

View attachment 432251

What is the address to send our dome lights to for retrofit? I placed an order today but haven’t seen any email with instructions.

I received my swapped rear overhead dome light back from Brightlites today, it was quick and convenient and the new LED bulb looks awesome!

Speaking of puddle lights...
Has anyone taken apart a 2017 outside mirror?
I need to know BEFORE I break something!

Speaking of puddle lights...
Has anyone taken apart a 2017 outside mirror?
I need to know BEFORE I break something!
Puddle lights come out with a small screwdriver or plastic spudger. Just don't force it and you'll be fine.

Puddle lights come out with a small screwdriver or plastic spudger. Just don't force it and you'll be fine.
This I know but these mirrors didn't come with them and I need to take apart the housing to drill into it!

This I know but these mirrors didn't come with them and I need to take apart the housing to drill into it!
Found this using the handy 'Search' feature;
The mirror removal starts around the 7:38 mark. I'm not sure if the 2017 follows the same procedure.
Hope this helps.

Peter

Once you pop the glass off you can access the bolts to remove housing. This is how you would access the side marker light / blinker. I did this not long ago and the clips holding the glass can be tricky.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Found this using the handy 'Search' feature;
The mirror removal starts around the 7:38 mark. I'm not sure if the 2017 follows the same procedure.
Hope this helps.

Peter

Thanks but I'll look again on YouTube.
I have a 2017 with no turn signal on the mirror (at this time) and that is one of the reasons I want to take it apart!

Back