How to: Install new Upstream O2 Sensors | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Install new Upstream O2 Sensors

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There is one on each mani, and one in between the cats. I got those three. I felt and looked up and down the exhaust for another, but all I have is 3... Can anyone elaborate, or share pictures of the two downstream ones?

What engine?

Looks like your engine has indeed only three:
a7386.jpg

Some of us have four, something like below:
97Exhaust.jpg

I just changed these on mine. Pulled the battery, hooked it back up. Check Engine Light came back on today with 3 codes

Lean Bank 1
Lean Bank 2
Cayalyst Efficiency Low - Bank 1

I used these parts:
Upstream O2 (Both Sides) Bosch #13117
Downstream Bosch #15718

I've had a few different places telling me I have the wrong Downstream sensor on it, one place tells me that the upstreams take two different Model #s depending on which side. Anyone confirm I used the correct parts?

2000 Explorer Sport 4.0 OHV

They should be the right part. They are not so "specific", same sensors came OE on any Ford Explorer 4.0 OHV/SOHC/5.0L and Ford Taurus 3.0L.
Did you tigthen the upstream ones completelly? Did you force the manifold when you remove the original ones?

Hey buddy i'm about to get into changinging my o2 sensors but dont know what ones to change i got a code of 300,034,305,306, and a 2198 any ideas ???

P0300, 0305 and 0306 are missfires. Not related to O2 sensors.

Thanks

THANKS A LOT FOR THE INFORMATION. Muchas Gracias.

I decided to write this thread because I could not find any posts in the forum about changing the upstream O2 sensors with pictures.

Stats- I have a 2000 Explorer XLS 4WD with the 4.0 OHV. The truck has 138,000 on it and this is the first time the O2 sensors were changed.

Step 1

Tools – I used a jack, jack stand, lug wrench, 7/8” box wrench, PB Blaster, and the O2 sensor kit from Harbor Freight. Look in the latest issues of any four wheel drive magazine for a 20% off coupon for Harbor Freight. Another tool I used not pictured was a breaker bar.

how did you get the wire to plug into the harness wiring Im having trouble getting my hand in there

Back