How to install RoadBully's spacers | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to install RoadBully's spacers

Thelt

Reaction score
City, State
Lenoir, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Limited
Since a lot of us are buying these I thought it might be good to have a thread dedicated to installing them. I think we had a "how to" thread on this at one time but I could not find it.

I am in the process of putting 2" spacers on the front of my explorer. So far I can say that you have to put your new bolts on the spacer before you tighten it down on the studs at the top of the strut. It you put the spacer on first you can not get the bolts in. It may not be this way on a 3" spacer since it has more room.

Like everyone else I am struggling with getting the strut assembly compressed enough to get it back in. If I figure it out and have any tips I will post them here. If anyone who has already done it has any tips I would appreciate them.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Since a lot of us are buying these I thought it might be good to have a thread dedicated to installing them. I think we had a "how to" thread on this at one time but I could not find it.

I am in the process of putting 2" spacers on the front of my explorer. So far I can say that you have to put your new bolts on the spacer before you tighten it down on the studs at the top of the strut. It you put the spacer on first you can not get the bolts in. It may not be this way on a 3" spacer since it has more room.

Like everyone else I am struggling with getting the strut assembly compressed enough to get it back in. If I figure it out and have any tips I will post them here. If anyone who has already done it has any tips I would appreciate them.

Try disconnecting the sway bar to give you more movement of the lower arm.

I am using a spring compressor. I may not be doing it correctly though. I have never worked on a strut before. I put it on the coils and tightened it down a good bit but it did not cause the length of the whole assembly to change. I am going to try it again in a little while. I have the strut out right now so it is easy to access. I am not sure if it will fit back in with the compressors on it though.

I am using a spring compressor. I may not be doing it correctly though. I have never worked on a strut before. I put it on the coils and tightened it down a good bit but it did not cause the length of the whole assembly to change. I am going to try it again in a little while. I have the strut out right now so it is easy to access. I am not sure if it will fit back in with the compressors on it though.

Even without spacers, they're a tight fit, but can be done without compressors. I don't think they could be done with spacers, without getting the lower A arm to move down more than it does, and the only way I know of to do that is to disconnect the swaybar, and use a big lever to lever it down with one hand while trying to install the strut with the other hand. You could try undoing the lower arm pivot mounts, attaching the strut assembly, then using a small jack to jack the lower arm back into position and doing up the pivot bolts.

I just put it back together stock. I am going to get a shop to put them on for me. I gave it a good try but I am not really much of a mechanic.

if any one finds the time could you please list and explain the steps of installing the front and rear spacers, My spacers are i the mail and im wondering if i might be able to pull it off by myself (im 18).

Thanks so much

Chris:thumbsup:

The only difficult part is getting it to bolt back up once the spacer is on. It is hard to get the spring compressed enough. My local tire store said they would do the front for about $60. It is worth that.

The only difficult part is getting it to bolt back up once the spacer is on. It is hard to get the spring compressed enough. My local tire store said they would do the front for about $60. It is worth that.

What about if you bolt up the bottom part of the strut assembly, and us a big pry bar/crowbar to hold the lower A arm down? Obviously you would need to undo the swaybar, but I reckon that might work - put it this way, I hope it works for me, because that is what I will be trying when I install my 1.5" spacers (the smallest you can go, BTW - anything smaller and the bolts will foul on each other).

What about if you bolt up the bottom part of the strut assembly, and us a big pry bar/crowbar to hold the lower A arm down? Obviously you would need to undo the swaybar, but I reckon that might work - put it this way, I hope it works for me, because that is what I will be trying when I install my 1.5" spacers (the smallest you can go, BTW - anything smaller and the bolts will foul on each other).

I would bet it would be a b*tch trying to get the top bolts to line up right that way. You have three bolts at the top that have to line up and they are going to be setting in the spacers and able to move a lot.

I think bolting the top up and then trying to force it low enough to bolt up the bottom bolt would be easier. Then again I could not get that to work. I think you might have to take the ball joint nut loose to get it to work but I did not try that.

I would bet it would be a b*tch trying to get the top bolts to line up right that way. You have three bolts at the top that have to line up and they are going to be setting in the spacers and able to move a lot.

I think bolting the top up and then trying to force it low enough to bolt up the bottom bolt would be easier. Then again I could not get that to work. I think you might have to take the ball joint nut loose to get it to work but I did not try that.

Yeh, that makes sense. I'll keep it in mind for when I get mine in a few weeks (international postage and all).

I think you need to take everything that is apart of that area off, not just loose but off. It's too easy to just to take it off, get the spring back in place then put the stuff back on 1 at a time. Any mechanic that is doing these jobs I guarantee you is taking everything off to make these fit.
Then again if you can get those installed for 60 bucks that is probably worth it.
When I get around to getting mine I will post pics of every step that I do.
Thelt are your installed yet?

Maybe Roadbully should include instructions with his product?

Just a thought. It wouldn;t take much to provide a few photos of the install-

Maybe Roadbully should include instructions with his product?

Just a thought. It wouldn;t take much to provide a few photos of the install-

I'd gladly do that, but I don't have them installed...

I'd gladly do that, but I don't have them installed...
Perhaps jutgin could do the write up and photos for you? (he he - aren't I nice; volunteering someone else to do the work!)

I can take an extract out my Haynes manual on how to remove front struts etc, and then make up the bit about adding the spacers, but there would be no photos.

I already spent 500+ on my springs, which is why I haven't removed them to install spacers.
I don't like the idea just throwing my money away.
Just to clarify what you're confused about....
I am though going to be installing some spacers on my ex just the same shorty, but they'll end up being just short ones, 1.5 inches or so.

Perhaps jutgin could do the write up and photos for you? (he he - aren't I nice; volunteering someone else to do the work!)

I can take an extract out my Haynes manual on how to remove front struts etc, and then make up the bit about adding the spacers, but there would be no photos.

Yeah, the actually removal of the strut is SOOOO simple. just three bolts on the top , and one on the bottom.
The only thing people are having a hard time with is compressing the unit to fit the spacer in.

I called and my truck is done. I am going to pick it up in a little while. They said I might not be happy because the front is now higher than the back. I have not see it yet though. If that is right I may just get some for the back too :)

I have a magazine at home that has a how to with pictures on installing similar spacers on a Nissan Titan. I could scan that in in and email it to anyone who wants it. They removed the ball joint nut in the article.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I picked it up and it is a little higher up front. It lifted it more than I thought it would. I am going to see if it settles any. If not I am going to get some for the rear from RB.

I took some pics and will post them tonight. I snapped some close ups of the area with the spacer installed. It looks fine to me with none of the issues where stuff is rubbing.

Back