How to keep my explorers from exploding? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to keep my explorers from exploding?

Explorer23

Reaction score
City, State
Columbus, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 Explorer
Hey guys, still relatively new here and tried searching for this answer but to no a avail. Plus I'm on my phone so it's a little harder to surf. Well with my new member disclaimer out of the way...

I have heard a lot of rumors about "early 90's" explorers catching fire. I had a friend tell me that, and have heard a bit more online. Oddly enough even after searching this forum I have never heard of this issue. I would like to know what causes it and how it can be prevented. I will be storing my first gen in my garage in the winter and don't need any mishaps. Either way I don't really want my babies to catch on fire so can someone fill me in please? :roll:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks Rick! Appears as though its only second gens affected by the recall. If so that would explain why I found nothing in the 1st gen forum and no one ever was able to quote me a year when they told me their stories.

I love my 92 don't jerry rig wires together this is one way to not catch any vehicle on fire I believe exploding is from the name lol someone around here always says oo you drive an exploder

1st gens are tanks! You won't ever blow one up.

Well I was just curious because after I heard of explorer fires from more than one source I didn't want to risk it. However my 94 has been leaking brake fluid for sometime (not a street vehicle) so if it is caused by leaking brakes I think I'm safe.

I hear more of crap about how roll over prone they are which is bs to me so eberones a critic lol

Back