Howdy all y'alls, 3.0 questions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Howdy all y'alls, 3.0 questions

MNMazord

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Ranger
New as they come to you here; I'll do my best to not p%ss off anyone : [
Anyway, my dilemma is I have a late 1994 B-3000 SE, and yes I can read, the title says '94, common sense says early '95; anywho, I was on http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/3_0performance.html looking at the data for the 3.0 Vulcan and decided to "improve" on others ideas. I also followed some of the pseudo nut-job on http://rogueperformance.com/potential.html as guidance and ended up in the box canyon. I am attempting to achieve max HP and torque similar to the 2000 - 2001 era 3.0. The intake has different injectors, and now I am wondering what all is coming with this can of worms? Ford and Mazda left me high and dry for answers, the next obvious stop was the "auto recycling" center to see what crossed with what; 1994 stands all by itself, no crossing to anything. It even listed 4 different ECM units for the standard trans versions. I have too much invested so far to change horses now, the best I can hope for it to reach shore! Anybody have any good answers of the intake from a 2000 - 2001 on a 1994 short block and actually have it running?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I do not know if anyone is replying to me or not? i was hoping to find some answers to my questions.

Welcome, I moved your thread into the Ranger section where you can hopefully get some answers!

Thank you Bill. This is worse then fishing! The only upside I've found is you can't fall into the river here. I'll just keep waiting for my info.

Geoff.

I think I'd start by seeing if just the intake manifold gaskets (as opposed to intake "sets") crossed across the years -- I'd fully expect them to but you never know.

If the individual gaskets cross, then it'd be a pretty sure bet the manifolds will swap and that would simply leave you with the "small" stuff and swapping injectors/fuel rail from one manifold to the other.

For what it's worth, RockAuto shows the '94 B3000 gaskets crossing all they way to the 01 3.0 and after 01, it seems it's only the upper to lower manifold gasket that changes, not the lower manifold to engine gasket -- wasn't 02 the 1st year for the polymer upper intake rather than the aluminum?.

The root cause of different injectors is the much higher fuel pressures the later engines use along with the non-return fuel rail on the manifold.

On the earlier EFI system, the fuel pressure regulator is on the fuel rail, the later ones the FRP is moved into the fuel tank and the plumbing changed.

After reading your PM, sounds like you've got a interesting project underway -- I'm not usually a heavy mod kind of guy but your hidden fuel fill behind the tail light (ala '57 Chev) sounds neat. Please do share some pics at some point.

Best of me knowledge, the Ranger moved to a returnless (well, after the fuel filter) fuel system in 1998, the same time Ford moved to a 65 - 70 psi fuel system. The earlier system ran at 35-40 psi.

So, I have doubts your newly acquired intake is as late as advertized. That it has a fuel pressure regulator on it's fuel rail with a fuel return very (very!) strongly suggests it's a 97 or earlier.

No chance an Expo fuel tank will locate where your spare tire was -- the Expo tank is very long, narrow and plastic. Even if Ford had put the Expo fuel tank between the frame rails in the back, it'd still not fit the Ranger since the Expo frame is wider at the back than the Ranger's.

So, look to an old Bronco II fuel tank. Same frame width as the Ranger, designed for the "hole" you want to fill.

Since you're looking to relocate the fuel tank, I'd not get to worried about the fuel return. Both the "return" and "returnless" tanks feature a fuel return.
On the "return" systems, the FPR is on the fuel rail returns all the way back to the tank.
On the "returnless" systems, the FPR is in the tank and uses a fuel pressure bleed at the fuel filter. The pump pushes fuel forward and the FPR keeps the fuel filter at full pressure. Also eliminates the vacuum controlled drop in fuel pressure the "return" systems have.

Back