Pics of Cold Air Intake Ver 3.0! Increased my MPG by 5% over previous personal best! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Pics of Cold Air Intake Ver 3.0! Increased my MPG by 5% over previous personal best!

mawrazen

Reaction score
City, State
Atlanta, Ga
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Eddie Bauer
I have been experimenting with Cold Air Intakes all summer after installing a K&N Air filter. My goal was to achieve 23 MPG. Previous best was 22.47 MPG. I have now achieved 23.57 MPG with this mod. :) A 1.1 MPG increase or 4.895% over the trucks personal best!

CAI Ver. 1.0
was an $20 experiment albeit butt ugly, but I certainly got some looks. :rolleyes:
Ver. 2.0 was 3" Drain pipes feeding directly into the exsisting Airbox intake.
Ver. 3.0 is installed under the bumper and feeds the modified air box with a 4" direct air tube. Total Cost less than $25.00. :D

Any ideas on Exhaust mods that will increase MPG will be greatly appreciated! ;)

Thanks to all on the Explorer Forum! :salute:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would be affraid of sucking up a bunch of water with that.

How do you go over speed bumps?

I dont think you can.

Or drive up a hill from flat ground, or any sort of change in terrain.

What happens if you get caught out in a big rainstorm and have to drive through a big puddle. If it doesnt rip off, its going to flood the motor.

it would be a little cleaner i think if you notched out that skirt thing you have under the bumper and put your scoop there instead....plus give you a little more clearance from speedbumps and stuff.....

still way cool to see cold air intake on an explorer haha

What would probably work is a small floor attachment from a shop vac-hide it behind you bumper-airdam piece and point it upwards a bit.
You could also use a hunk of shop vac hose to clean up the looks--

I am referring to large diameter shop vac parts--you might look through dust collection systems for woodworking for large diameter hose, plastic elbows, and adapter parts--

looks like alot of work and not very safe.....

It's funny, because I just read your thread on the first version. It looks alot better. Does it still have a way to get rid of water that gets up in there. I would hope so. As long a you know it's there....I wouldn't worry about it. It looks nice for a version 3. Keep it up.

Ha Ha Ha Can't stop laughing all the way to the bank!

I just drove over 1100 miles with this contraption. Speed bumps, Rain, Curbs and Small Fuzzy animals. OMG where's Fluffy? .

So far so good. The clearance currently varies from 6 to 7" off the ground! Thats higher than some lowered vehicles. I actually parked the truck today and the CAI had cleared the curb. :D

As for rain I perfected water management on Ver. 1.0 and have continued to make improvements. There are drain holes in the bottom and back of CAI Ver.3.0 as well as a drain hole in the stock air filter box. I feel the positive pressure into the airbox will be greater than the suction created by the motor. Thus any water would be forced out of the airbox due to gravity and pressure.

Yes I am one CRAZY former honors science student. :crazy:

Keep the feedback coming! You can't hurt my feelings.
:p:

...i'm just curious why you don't cut into your hood, install only a short pipe with an elbow or shape it out to blend into the hood like a '70 gto tac pointed forward, and have ram air??? from the attempts i've seen that is what you are trying for but your pipe length is getting longer than ram air would be...:scratch:

just make yourself a snorkel.....dont have to worry about water, small animals (although it scoops bugs like crazy) curbs ect...plus it looks cooler:D

snk25.jpg

:salute:

i want a snorkel...haha. thought about it but im not to sure. mawrazen has the opposite design of a snorkel

Dudes! This is exactly what I'm looking for. This site ROCKS! Thank You!

Sweet Snorkel! I Luv it! Put a screen over the front of the CAI Snorkel and bevel the top more so they get knocked down and out! LOL :cartman:

Darn didn't work. Where is the Cartman Smiley?

An OMG the Explorer killed Kenny Smiley would be cool too. Maybe someone could modify the splat :splat: Smiley to be Kenny with little rats. ROFL :dead:

No, No, an OMG He killed Fluffy Smiley should be "Authorized" :eek:mghkf:

Or get a clearance from Matt Parker and Trey Stone to have an extended list of "South Park" Smileys available only to Elite members. I would sign up in a heartbeat. I miss :Chef: :smokinfro: Sooo Much.

For the Canadians there could be :Terrence: and :phillip: :fart: (Just mod the fart Smiley), The Royal Canadiam Mountys, :Ike: (My personal favorite Canadian!) and of course :sadam:.

Some one stop me! Well it is early in the morning. I'll be fine. I'll take my meds now. :rolleyes:

Disclaimer: The thoughts and views of this poster are the sole possession of it owner and are in no way the views of this station. (or would it be Site?)

Please don't try this at home.

These are just my theories and hypothesises brought to fruition as inexpensive experiments or Mods to increase my Gas mileage. So far I have proven the theory, and will be continually improving my concept. Keep the corrective criticism coming. You can't hurt my feelings! :mattmoon:

If it works for you that's fine.

To me it looks like ass, it's ghetto, & a hack job.

3 things that don't flatter a 94 explorer.

Sweet Snorkel! I Luv it! Put a screen over the front of the CAI Snorkel and bevel the top more so they get knocked down and out! LOL :cartman:

Darn didn't work. Where is the Cartman Smiley?

An OMG the Explorer killed Kenny Smiley would be cool too. Maybe someone could modify the splat :splat: Smiley to be Kenny with little rats. ROFL :dead:

No, No, an OMG He killed Fluffy Smiley should be "Authorized" :eek:mghkf:

Or get a clearance from Matt Parker and Trey Stone to have an extended list of "South Park" Smileys available only to Elite members. I would sign up in a heartbeat. I miss :Chef: :smokinfro: Sooo Much.

For the Canadians there could be :Terrence: and :phillip: :fart: (Just mod the fart Smiley), The Royal Canadiam Mountys, :Ike: (My personal favorite Canadian!) and of course :sadam:.

Some one stop me! Well it is early in the morning. I'll be fine. I'll take my meds now. :rolleyes:

Disclaimer: The thoughts and views of this poster are the sole possession of it owner and are in no way the views of this station. (or would it be Site?)

Please don't try this at home.

These are just my theories and hypothesises brought to fruition as inexpensive experiments or Mods to increase my Gas mileage. So far I have proven the theory, and will be continually improving my concept. Keep the corrective criticism coming. You can't hurt my feelings! :mattmoon:

WTF?

i still want to get laid, so i will stick with my stock setup.

Cold air intake Ver. 3

...i'm just curious why you don't cut into your hood, install only a short pipe with an elbow or shape it out to blend into the hood like a '70 gto tac pointed forward, and have ram air??? from the attempts i've seen that is what you are trying for but your pipe length is getting longer than ram air would be...:scratch:

I like this idea....ram air on a Explorer....off to the right side of the hood...short pipe, elbow,rubber seal, make a small hood scoop functional..;) ...what ya' think?

...i have thought of doing it myself a couple of times since there is so much talk of cai's...i had ram air on my 71 mach1 and it was awesome...:D
...low profile is cool...maybe even a cowl induction type set up would be better for those with bugs in their area...;)

Not a bad idea for street, maybe you can work on a mold out of plastic or fiberglass thats slim that would not be so noticeable. But my X is more for road, so Ill go with the snorkel.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you think Ver. 3.0 is Ghetto, you should have seen CAI Ver 1.0! :)

If it works for you that's fine.

To me it looks like ass, it's ghetto, & a hack job.

3 things that don't flatter a 94 explorer.

The first version was cut through the trim on the bumper and stuck out several inches. This version is Much less profile! Yes it could be a very bad idea for offroading, but I only travel on the street and do a bunch of Hwy miles. :burnout:

Unfortunaltely I still get a CEL on the Hwy. I Did a 900 mile drive nonstop Monday (3 adults, Marty dog and a truckload of Sh*t) and It threw a CEL at 500 miles going up the mountains in VA. Runs rough and shudders for the rest of the trip till I let it sit a few hours (Cool Off?). :mad:
Pulled codes:

172 (R,M) Oxygen sensor not switching - system is or was lean - Single, Right or Rear HO2S - Fuel control

176 (M) Oxygen sensor not switching - system is or was lean Left or Front HO2S - Fuel control

Then when trying to get to the Cheap gas in South Carolina, I ran out at 392 miles on the tank. Whoops.

Pulled codes again, Same 2 plus 3 more: Maybe they were related to running out of gas, I have always had the CEL on the Hwy after a few hours of driving. If I let it sit for a few hours it is fine till it gets hot again.

Codes before reseting PCM: (after running out of gas, I always bring extra, No Gauge)

172 (R,M) Oxygen sensor not switching - system is or was lean - Single, Right or Rear HO2S - Fuel control

173 (R,M) Oxygen sensor not switching - system is or was rich - Single, Right or Rear HO2S - Fuel control

176 (M) Oxygen sensor not switching - system is or was lean Left or Front HO2S - Fuel control

177 (M) Oxygen sensor not switching - system was rich Left or Front HO2S - Fuel control

542 (O,M) Fuel pump open, bad ground or always on - - Power / Fuel Pump Circuits

At Flying J (cheap gas) in SC, I reset the PCM and cooled off the headers and O2 sensors with water and the CEL stayed off for another 130 miles. It seems to be heat related! Clogged cat or bad O2 sensors? I have been trying to cure this CEL for 4 years. I've made improvements in the mileage or time before it will throw a code but still need help in curing it.

P.S. Going up the 2800+ ft mountains in VA will always throw a CEL regardless of circumstances.

Pulled codes 172 and 176 again at end of trip.

Has anyone ever cured the 172, 176 codes on Hwy trips (1st gen)? HELP!

Please share the secret!
:salute:

Back