• Register Today It's free!

Hum/Roar... Wheel Bearing?

Sandstone VR-4

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Eddie Bauer
Hi all,

Looking for a little guidance, here...

Over the past couple of months, started getting the roar/hum that's typical of a bad wheel bearing. I road test diagnosed the problem using acceleration, deceleration runs and pulling the wheel to the left and right. I deduced that the problem was coming from the front passenger side.

So here I am tonight. I just replaced the hub assembly, which wasn't a terrible job (thank goodness for 2WD!), however I'm a little stumped by my new road test results.

Noise is better, but not gone. Still have a hum/roar emanating from what I believe is the front passenger side. A lot of the vibration I was feeling through the pedal is gone, but there is still some coming through.

What on earth could it be? I was 99% sure before I started this job that I'd be hearing nothing but silence and collecting kudos from my wife when finished. Any ideas of what else it could be?

Thanks!

Replace drivers side wheel bearing.

Replace drivers side wheel bearing.

Hey tower,

Thanks for the response!

The sound/vibration completely disappears when I turn the wheel to the right while driving, which places the load on the driver's side. I was under the assumption that this would indicate driver's side bearings are ok?

You would think but if you do a search you will find this not always to be the case with the explorer.

Back