humming noise??????

02LTDXLT

Reaction score
City, State
the "Bridge",Va
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 limited XLT
i am starting to notice a hum when i drive. it sounds like i am riding w/ some
nobby tires/ big tires. but i am on regular tires. it has been a 2 weeks since i first noticed the noise. i have 92,000 mile on the X. the noise sounds like it is coming from the rear of the truck. could this be a problem with the axle, transfer case, 4x4, low trans axle fluid. any input or things i could check
would be helpful. thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Extremely common problem with the 3rd gen... it's a problem with the rear differential

Ford issued a TSB on this problem: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=157872

As far as I can tell, the only real issue that comes about from this is the annoyance of the rear-end whine... I've had this problem for a year and a half almost, never got louder, no problems with the rear-end... just the noise. The stereo takes care of that, though. ;)

Extremely common problem with the 3rd gen... it's a problem with the rear differential

Ford issued a TSB on this problem: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=157872

As far as I can tell, the only real issue that comes about from this is the annoyance of the rear-end whine... I've had this problem for a year and a half almost, never got louder, no problems with the rear-end... just the noise. The stereo takes care of that, though. ;)

I have a second generation X and must say that i have similar issue with the noise only its my front axle. I has my mechanic go through the entire drivetrain the other day and i kept on suspecting that it was my Hubs. He actually proved me wrong! Its the axle itself and he said if i get the synthetic gear oil from ford that will fix my whine issue. Will try it and see what happens.

thanks for the responses, this is some good information. will this be covered
under my extended powertrain warranty?

anyone have tips or pictures on how to change the rear differential gear oil.
i have the general idea just wanted to see pics of the fill and drain plug for an 05 model. just to make sure i am not messin anything up.

I would check the rear wheel bearings. I had a noise coming from the back and it turns out both of mine were bad.

Back