I Got One a Deer!!!!! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I Got One a Deer!!!!!

Yeah, i got one alright, i hit a deer tonight on my way back droping off my girlfriend. The deer was coming full force off a hill and ran down into a ditch and i hit the brakes but to late, ran her over. Thankgod for steel bumpers.... :thumbsup:

alright, enough of the chatter on with the pics of carnage!.... ;)

Attachments

• Deer 001a.jpg
    Deer 001a.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 804
  • Deer 002a.JPG
    Deer 002a.JPG
    68.9 KB · Views: 790
  • Deer 004a.JPG
    Deer 004a.JPG
    74.8 KB · Views: 785

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Those deer whistles are rediculous. If a 2 ton hulk screaming down the highway, with crazy headlight eyes doesn't get them to move, I highly doubt a high pitched sound has any effect. I always swerve unless there is oncoming traffic. I have probably missed 10 deer and countless cats, dogs, and rabbits. I've only been unlucky twice. One ran into the rear quarter panel of my old Cutlass(didn't even see that one) and swerved around one, as another ran out and took the mirror right to the face. I clipped a doe going about 50 mph on an ATV, but only hit the back legs. A kid I went to school with hit one on his snowmobile at about 70, and ended up in the hospital.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have custom deer whistles... its a flowmaster with a turndown and a heavy right foot. :p They seem to get out of the way before I ever get close. I drive on deer ridden back roads all the time and i've only come close once which was on the interstate at 1am.

sorry, i'm a firm believer of the deer whistles. an guess what i took off two weeks earlier, the f-ing deer whistles....lol...all i can say is they, they can't hurt.

Thanks kevin, i just talked with ford an everything i want its only gona be about $190, but thats because i want brand new fog light assy. The thing that really shocked me was the valence, they only wanted $80 for my color, i was in shock, ford oem products cheap?, no never!

CougarX said:
I have custom deer whistles... its a flowmaster with a turndown and a heavy right foot. :p

Hahaha.

Glad to see it didn't do much damage. A friend of mine got a brand new Ford Ranger, and 2 weeks later while I was riding with him, he hit a deer right in the middle of the front and his legs hit the windshield. My friend got out an promply punched the deer in the face :cool:

Damn, I hate this state! Too many deer jumping around like fairies in the middle of the road. Way to take one out!! Glad yer ok, good to see big red with a smile ;)

How come the deer looks like it's looking at me upside down. lol

I hit a deer about 6 years ago in my '94 Sunbird. The deer did a spin and tumble off the right front fender. I was 5 minutes from home, heading home after work, late at night. It wasn't a big deer but it still did $3000 damage.

that thing was tiny, we have ELK and DEER up here and I drive SLOW on these roads because of them.
My bumper may be tough, but those ELK are HUGE!

I am glad that you and your truck are OK. I lost a good friend 3 years ago due to a deer incident. His brother was driving his brand new Silverado, swerved to miss a deer, hit some RR tracks, lost control and rolled the truck about 10 times @ 50mph. My friend wasn't wearing his seat belt and was ejected. NEVER SWERVE TO MISS A DEER. KILL THE S.O.B.'s

I like the suggestion of mounting a .50 cal on the roof. Hose the suckers before you get to them and itll be like a squishy speedbump. :D

Paraphoe said:
I like the suggestion of mounting a .50 cal on the roof. Hose the suckers before you get to them and itll be like a squishy speedbump. :D
ROFLMAO
My dad works for a trucking company nd they have problems with deer hitting the semi's. Well at a meeting one guy sudgested why don't we mount somthing to push them out of the way. My dad says like a cow-catcher that would toss the deer on to other on comming cars but funny idea.....

my uncle got four once when he was driving a front loader garbage truck. about 10 deer ran in front of him and he knew that he couldn't stop in time so he started to drop the forks and stuck four of them. the cop that showed up wasn't to happy. but the pics of it are pretty good.

Last christmas I was driving to see my family and some A$$hole in a roundevous flew by me in the snow going probably 70. I was going 50, and felt dumb for going that fast in the conditions. He was about half mile ahead of me when I see 3 deer run out in the road. Somehow, there was a deer about 10 feet to the right of the vehicle, and two in front of it. The poor ******* managed to hit all 3 of them, and total his buick. I pulled up and asked him if he was ok and he goes Oh yeah, Merry F&%#N CHRISTMAS, three deer huh. Wouldnt even acknowledge my presence but he was ok so I left.

im with cougar a loud exhaust is a good deterrent to wildlife (past experience)
as for swerving just hit them, there have been to many deaths from people swerving
after all its only a car that needs fixing and not a person unless your really unlucky and the animal comes through the windscreen

Some deer are oblivious to just about everything. Fortunately they are usually easily to kill in a hunt. I hit one(just clipped it's back leg) on my atv with a Supertrapp muffler with all 18 discs in it. You could hear that thing from over a mile away. I guarantee he heard me before he even stepped into the road. The main problem with deer is they don't assume other things are capable of running 3 times as fast as them.

Nick_Good said:
That sucks. Too bad you didnt just clip her, you could have had free meat :) All the meats probably bloodshot now since she got ran over. But at least you and the explorer are OK.
Nick

It's sad, I've done that before. Tagged a deer in the head not much bigger than that back in high school going 40mph. Just broke the neck. As long as the intestines are intact I'm a eatin' it. hahaha The car just tenderizes it more for marinade anyway. ;)

Back