IAT = HP?

BRacing

Reaction score
City, State
Northern California
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 Explorer Sport
Is the IAT worth HP?

It is known that colder air makes more power, but that's just half the story.

The intake aire temperature sensor (IAT) reads the temperature of the incoming air and sends the information back to the computer to advance/retard the timing. The warmer it is, the less advance the timing gets, and this prevents knocking/pining/detonation/etc.

However, chevy guys (ls1/ls6) can buy a resistor to plug into their IAT sensor, tricking the computer into thinking that the incoming air is colder than it actually is. This advances the timing a few degrees, and results in more power.

Of course the disadvantage is that you would have to run premium octane gas, as well as risk running into knocking problems.

Does anyone make/has anyone tried to advance their timing by installing a resistor into the IAT sensor?

Just a thought as i drive in 115 degree weather...
-Brad

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Since my s/c computer has on-the-fly timing adjustment, I never did this mod. It does sound feasable, though you'd have to know exactly what resistor to put in there. I'd be worried that the computer couldn't think accurately anymore though, and about cold weather driving.

For safer timing adjustment, get a chip.

This is an old trick amongst the Mustang crowd. Just like the Chevy guys we can do it too using simple Radio Shack parts. Now I remember reading a "how to"on this for the 2.9L EEC sensor and the same would apply to our OHV 4/0L's (same sensor) so I'll do some digging and see if I cant locate it over at therangerstation.com

Just a warning before you try this, running the vehicle for extended periods of time with any computer controlled device "fooled" will lead to premature retirement of the ECM. Chip manufacturers can get away with it because their product alters the signals in response to the opperating conditions present. By locking (fooling) a sensor's output signal in one position the computer will constantly have to rely on other sensor information and compare that with its programing in order for it to opperate properly, this will piss off the ECM and lead to its demise.

410fortune - i'd be interested in reading that article. if you find the information, please post it or send it to me.

mrboyle - that's an interesting point. I think it would send a "check engine light" but could be corrected by removing the resistor for awhile.

Thanks guys!
-Brad

Back