I'm thinking about adding factory power windows and locks to a 1994 Aerostar. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I'm thinking about adding factory power windows and locks to a 1994 Aerostar.

Jobie

Reaction score
City, State
Rancho Cordova California
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Ford Aerostar Cargo
Now that I have added factory cruise control, I started to think about adding other factory options, mainly power windows and door locks...
Has anyone here done this to a non power window/locks van??? If so, were there wires there??? I haven't checked yet on mine, but did notice that there were wires in the front doors...but not enough for windows...but maybe locks or could also be for adding lights or something like that???

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Now that I have added factory cruise control, I started to think about adding other factory options, mainly power windows and door locks...
Has anyone here done this to a non power window/locks van??? If so, were there wires there??? I haven't checked yet on mine, but did notice that there were wires in the front doors...but not enough for windows...but maybe locks or could also be for adding lights or something like that???

you are getting into a lot of money and modifications. Not to mention the door panels and the manual window mechanisms are different for a power-window model, and if you have manual door locks, installing the power lock actuators and wiring will not be a piece of cake.

but you can buy a 1997 Cargo Aerostar with all those options for the same or less money and trouble than you'll end up spending by the end of the project.
They are selling for under $2k.

The cost isn't very much...

Half the fun is just doing it...
It looks like I will be paying around $100 to $140 for all the parts at the local wreaking yard here...There is a extended that I have been getting other parts from, and it has just about everything I need...I am popping off the dash tomorrow and getting a look at all the wiring involved...
Heck this one even has a decent carpet with no real wear in it...$14...So at least I'll get that...along with a trans dip stick tube to replace my broke one...

Btw

Thanks for the link BB!:)

Hummm

Well I pulled the kick panels off of my cargo van and it appears to have the wiring there and behind the drivers side in the cargo area as well as the wiring for the extra ac unit....The wiring doesn't seem to be running across to the passenger side, however...I haven't had a chance to get out to the yard to see what all is involved to make the conversion...I did see that the only difference in the door panels is that there is a cover that fits in the area where the hole for the crank windows is, so it looks like you can use your original panels if you add these cover panels or make your own...More later...

the XL models have door panels without the crank hole or the finishing cover, the XLT have door panels with finishing covers but no holes because they always have power windows. or you can install speakers there...

yes

it is easy to cover the holes using the other one's...It appears that my panels have the places for the trim covers so that could cover the holes without trying to find perfect panels somewhere...
I am still debating doing it...I am going back to work after taking some time off so I may not have the time to be "playing" with my work van...

As far as I can tell...

It looks like my van is wired for only the power door locks...It still doesn't look that hard to add the windows though, it's just adding the correct harness at the doors...but it is strange that the harness has provisions for the locks and the place for the relay behind the drivers side b pillar...The present connector uses the same type of harness though the door minus the wires for the power windows...Weird...Additionally it has all the wiring for the rear AC there as well...and wired for all the speakers...

I have done it to two Aerostars, a 95 and a 97. It's not that hard really. If you have a good donor it can go pretty smooth. My '95 and '97 had all the wiring in the kick panel areas to allow the cross wiring that goes over to the passenger front door. The sliding door is still manual lock, though I have put in the actuator, just awaiting the door contacts. It won't work when the sliding door is open though, because you need a module to get it to work like factory--who needs it? The tailgate wiring is there for the door lock actuator (the pink and pink/black wires). Rangers that are crank driven and manual locks don't have the cross wiring, I would imagine, because most Rangers don't have factory power stuff, while most Aerostars are ordered with the power stuff.

Thanks for the information on your adding the power windows...After I reinstall my new motor that is my next project...It looks pretty straight forward...

Back