Inner Rear Fender Rubbing with 33's | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Inner Rear Fender Rubbing with 33's

99SportX

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Duluth, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ex & Mounty
Hey guys,

I recently had my explorer (99 XLT) out on the trail for the first time. When flexing out the rear fully (with no swaybar), the tire began to rub on the inside face of the rear fender. I have 33x12.5x15 BFG AT with 15x8 4" BS Cragar soft 8's. For lift I have the TT, warrior shackles, AAL, and 3" BL I know a lot of people on this site have the same or similar setup so I was wondering what others have done about this?

I don't like the idea of having the tires rub like that. It stops the truck and you have to give it more gas to get it to move again. I don't want to damage the tire. I was thinking I could extend the bumpstops to limit flex. Has anyone else done this?

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You're taking about the inner wheel well which is just above the frame rail right? If so mine has always done that, but never to the extent that it stopped the vehicle...

I was going pretty slow and it doesn't take much to stop the V6. I didn't notice any damage on the inner wheel well, just a light scuff and the tire looks fine as well. Maybe I shouldn't worry about it. I bent in the lower area of that panel to keep any sharp edges away from the tire before I went wheeling so the only part it is able to rub on is a relatively smooth area covered in undercoating.

Perfectly normal to rub like that. No worries. Your not going to damage anything.

As far as it stopping the rig, That's a new one on me. I don't even realize it rubbing on either of mine.

I was in a man made obstacle that was series of staggered mounds designed for flexing out vehicles so it could be that I was just stuck on the hill and not the tire. It did feel like it slowed me down a little or took more gas to get going again though. I suppose that if it is normal I shouldn't worry about it.

Hey guys,

I know a lot of people on this site have the same or similar setup so I was wondering what others have done about this?

Thanks.

Ours rubs too.. We didn't do anything about it. I don't think I ever noticed it stopping the vehicle.

One thing though.. 4" backspacing is going to pull the tire in a little more than the 3.75 backspacing we have so you "might" rub more.

~Mark

i have the same problem with my 02 sport with no sway bars and i got a 1" shackel lift with my stock tires it isnt to bad but when i run my 33x12.5 that rub alot and it never dameged any thing but it did limit flex and it stoped the tucked wheel from rolling even with a limed slip i just learned to live with it

Thanks for the replies guys. This will only happen when off road and likely aired down so I guess as long as it doesn't happen every day, it won't cause any serious harm to the tires.

I will assess the need for extended bumpstops to limit the rubbing. I have no idea how close I am to hitting the factory bumpstop when the tire begins to rub. I will have to make a visit to a friends house who has a nice hill in his yard where I can flex it out. That is where I first experienced the issue.

Back