Inside headlight cleaning question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Inside headlight cleaning question

Alright, I used the Zymol screen clean kit to completely remove all of the yellow on my headlights. It worked perfectly and they are really smooth and yellow free. The problem is the INSIDE is still yellow. If I take the headlights out of the grill, will I be able to get to the inside of the lens to get the yellow off or is the lense sealed so that I can't? Anyone who has taken the headlamps out should know if it is sealed or not. I just don't want to do it and have them sealed so that I couldn't clean them.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

if i am correct on this.. the lens is sealed on pretty tight. i remember someone trying to bake the corner lenses in the oven and just ended up burning it and not being able to get the lens off the base. just use a pen or wooden stick with a sponge or brillo pad with some cleanin solvent and dry thoroughly

I have not cleaned the Explorer headlight insides yet but I have done this on other veh. It is real easy to rub the chrome plastic off the inside of the headlight. I would only use mild dish soap and no hard rubbing on the chrome area. New headlights are about $110. for a pair on ebay, just in case....

Originally posted by Bill Kemp
I have not cleaned the Explorer headlight insides yet but I have done this on other veh. It is real easy to rub the chrome plastic off the inside of the headlight. I would only use mild dish soap and no hard rubbing on the chrome area. New headlights are about $110. for a pair on ebay, just in case....

I ruined a set of clear corners by cleaning the inside with Greased Lightning and bleach. BE CAREFUL when doing this!

You know, I posted a couple of weeks ago that my headlamps had water in them and just wanted to let you know that I didn't clean them or fuss with them at all, they all of suddened just dissapeared, meaning the water build. they cleaned themselves.:D

Back