How to: - Install Coil-Overs and ditch T-bars | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Install Coil-Overs and ditch T-bars

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
Man, this is just too awesome. So how has your setup held up? Anything break or start rubbing yet? I've been looking around for ways to beef up the capability of the IFS rather than swapping a solid axle in, and this is something I've been thinking about a lot.

Have you done any somewhat fast offroading with it to see how it feels? I'm not talking pre-runner stuff, but just a bit of speed on an open trail.

And another question for you: If I get the superlift kit and only want to run 33x12.5s, I shouldn't need to preload the springs, right?

Set up has held up awesomely! Nothing rubbing or broken. No "fast" offroading to be done over in NoVa.

Preload is for the ride height. Depending on the stiffness of spring you purchase, you may, or may not need to preload.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Had to take out the suspension cross members to remove the front diff to reseal it and refill. So while I was at it I figured I'd do some powder coating. Check it out.

Attachments

• P1050009_lgweb.jpg
    P1050009_lgweb.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 1,049

Very nice, did you powdercoat the shocks too?

Nah, the shocks I hand sanded and put a rust proof coating and then flat black protective enamel.

I just noticed your lower shock eyelets are longer than the stock ones, do you happen to have the specs or part number for those? I'm guessing they need to be longer to clear the lower control arm bracket?

I just noticed your lower shock eyelets are longer than the stock ones, do you happen to have the specs or part number for those? I'm guessing they need to be longer to clear the lower control arm bracket?

They are the Fox 3" Lower Eylets. You can have them put on when you order. I did it the hard way and replaced them myself! Royal P.I.T. I got them to better clear the CV axles. The stock eyelets were fine but just too close for my comfort.

All part numbers updated on post #1

I must say: Very well done write up by DominicanX Post #1
and to ShooterDude199 Post #71 for his contribution to understanding how the suspension works in our trucks.

I'm itching to do this! Even though I'm 4x2, I know a coil over kit will greatly increase the quality of the ride!
But I kinda don't wanna fix the front if I am not gonna fix the back in the same fashion.
Maybe one day I'll go nuts and install I.R.S. But that's after I blow my stock 8.8 rear end from a Superblown 460! (yea rite!):D

Maybe one day I'll go nuts and install I.R.S. But that's after I blow my stock 8.8 rear end from a Superblown 460! (yea rite!):D

Shouldn't be too difficult, hotrodders do it all the time.
A 3 point linkage or trailing arms with a Watt's link should do it.

I seen someone on here that did a frame-off resto and used a Mustang I.R.S. setup and just set it up for his Ex.

Don't mean to hijack this thread.... so enough about that, lol.

Awesome write up. I am really wanting to scrap my stupid torsion bars now.

DeepEmissions ? why would you irs the rear when the front is so limited in travel ?

the only way you get any more out of the front is to go either back to a ttb which has more flex than the ifs, or to a solid axle swap,,
the back as a solid axle has way more flex than the front, making it way more capable off road than the front,,
I have a Superlift on my 96 with the Fox coilovers and my back end has way more flex than the front does,, by a far shot,,and if i want any more front droop to match the back, i will have to go to something else in the front,, i already have no front sway bar and rear sway bar disconnects, that is as far as the ifs can go..

the ideal setup for flex and rock crawling would be matching front and rear 4 links on solid axles for both,,

DeepEmissions ? why would you irs the rear when the front is so limited in travel ?

I think the one he was talking about was a street truck.

Yes, the IRS I was noting was strictly street... (was it 2000StreetRod?)
Frame-off build, so very extensive work was put into this vehicle. Basically using the IRS to literally set the frame of the truck on the asphalt when stopped, or whenever I guess, lol.

The Front suspension was custom as well on this particular build, to compliment the above described effect. I wouldnt take it that far, but I do think the rear swap was an awesome project, just as with this thread, deserves the Sticky he received and the applause!:D

Does this give the front end any lift?

it can if you just turn the adjusting collars,,
it will give you the same as the torsion twist,,

Ohhhhhhhh. Thank you!

would really like to get the brakets made for this set up how much lift did you gain?

Stoked

Pretty convinced this is something that I will do with my Explorer. Ive got clunking, and I'm certain its from where the TBar enters the lower control arm on the front drivers side.

Awesome write up.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back