How to: - Install Coil-Overs and ditch T-bars | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Install Coil-Overs and ditch T-bars

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
I know this forum is for explorers but my rangerz is half explorer. I have in stalled the seats,center And over head console. 8.8 4:10 limited slip explorer rear axle motor and transmission are out of a 2000 explorer and transfer case is out of a 01 F-150 manual shift.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

New here, I have a 98 explorer 2wd with torsion bars. Looking to do the coil overs but need brackets does anyone have any for sale or know who is willing to make them let me know as soon as possible thank you Dora the Explorer

So... very... tempted...

How is the handling without a swaybar?

Anytime somebody asks me what would the handling be like without sway bars I tell them to unhook yours and go drive around.
I never went back to sway bars in my BII, I run stiff shocks and soft springs. My BII is a bit wider then stock (+7") and the tires are huge (35's) so with all that un sprung weight she stays planted pretty well, in fact I can lift a front tire if I power through a turn.
There are times when a rear sway bar would actually help me, a rear sway bar would force my front suspension to work even harder through the rough stuff at slower speeds....but I have gotten by without it for so long that there is no way sway bars are going back on this truck, the ride is just so "plush" without them.
So the answer is, try it and see: your 02 sport with a good set of coilovers up front with the proper spring weight, a good set of rear springs (your sport maybe mono leaf?) and some stiff shocks depending on the trucks use, you may like it without the sway bars..
You will notice way more body sway (of course) and during side winds on the highway it can be harder to hold your lane...

410, I managed to get the Sport running but I'm lost on getting the 4x4 working. I have the 4x4 module from the 4.0 but the 5.0 wiring doesn't have the connectors for it. I had to swap the entire wiring from the 2001 Expo XLT to get the 2002 Sport to work. I obtained a GEM from a 98 with a 4.0 4x4. If there are connectors in the wiring I don't know where they are. Also, have you done any coil over kits from Truetravel. I asked about the sway bars because from the first road test with the new engine it was very soft and sloppy. I put the 5.0 bar under it and took off the old stock ford shocks and replaced them with some stiffer units and it handles much better. I would like to talk to you about what it would take for me to haul this up to you for some construction. I am reading you 2007 Ranger build. The goal of this build is to Prerun Baja. Paul

Thoughts on welding up my own brackets? I assume it's all just 1/4 inch steel? Anyone know where I could find a schematic or CAD design of them?

You dont really need brackets, you just need some tabs welded to the lower control arm to accept the bottom of the coilover and some limit straps.
You need some sort of bracing for the upper shock tower, 1/4" plate will do for that. Or you can hack the stock shock tower off and run some sort of coilover mount, there are tons of aftermarket to choose from.

I just received the True Travel Dynamics +2 4wd suspension kit for the 2007 Ranger build. Unboxing the kit had us drooling all over the shop floor!!!

@palavine1951 I just sent you a PM

You dont really need brackets, you just need some tabs welded to the lower control arm to accept the bottom of the coilover and some limit straps.
You need some sort of bracing for the upper shock tower, 1/4" plate will do for that. Or you can hack the stock shock tower off and run some sort of coilover mount, there are tons of aftermarket to choose from.

I just received the True Travel Dynamics +2 4wd suspension kit for the 2007 Ranger build. Unboxing the kit had us drooling all over the shop floor!!!

@palavine1951 I just sent you a PM
Hey Fortune, have you installed the True Travel Dynamics kit yet? If yes how is it? I also have their +2 4wd kit waiting to go on my 2004 sport trac. Did you go with the FOA coilovers/bypasses or with someone else?

wondering if anyone that has ditched the torsion bars and have gone coil over, has anyone ditched the factory upper shock/coil over mount and went with a taller hoop mount to add a longer coil over? Is there any travel to be gained by going with a longer coil over?
Im wanting to do the 5" Rough Country Ranger lift and convert to coil over.... and was thinking.... If the top shock mount was moved up and a longer coil over was used, do the suspesnion/axle geometry allow with more wheel travel or not?

wondering if anyone that has ditched the torsion bars and have gone coil over, has anyone ditched the factory upper shock/coil over mount and went with a taller hoop mount to add a longer coil over? Is there any travel to be gained by going with a longer coil over?
Im wanting to do the 5" Rough Country Ranger lift and convert to coil over.... and was thinking.... If the top shock mount was moved up and a longer coil over was used, do the suspesnion/axle geometry allow with more wheel travel or not?
Travel is limited by the cvs actually. They only travel so far before they lock up.

Wondering if anyone knows if Matt D from this video is a member here?

I’m interested in these tabbed coilover bracket parts he’s assembling. They look like nice pieces!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back