How to: - Install Overhead Console in 1st Gen Explorer - UPDATED | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Install Overhead Console in 1st Gen Explorer - UPDATED

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
if your truck has a sunroof i believe you can only fit the one made for the sunroof. thats why its shorter.

as for the switches, i would use the sunroof one. that way you cant open the other one accidentally by hitting open on the side lol
plus youd get one free switch, snag more matching ones, or start over with your own.
thats what im planning to do for mine. thats why i stole the garage one out and put it in the ranger

steps on howto drill the holes http://www.therangerstation.com/Magazine/Fall2008/explorer_overhead_console.htm

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thank you for the link Xeek,

Since i had a bigger console i figured i would find a way to hinge the big compartment because almost no one has the electric moon roof. if i did not have a sunroof i would put this on like it is and put my switches inside.

Keep everything hidden. its a little sloppy but it can be done with a dremel and some zip ties. i would glue a magnets inside there to hold it shut.

20120826_192613.jpg

20120826_192601.jpg

20120826_192640.jpg

hey so i pulled an over head console from a 2nd gen, this thread mentioned the wiring is different compared to another thread. Does anyone have that thread link? I cant find it!

Thanks

So,
a few months later and i am finally diving into this. i am breezing through the overhead console install / wiring. but i am stuck when it comes to the auto dimming rear view mirror.
i believe i tore mine out of a 94 limited, i took as much of the harness as i could but i just cant figure out what the wires are for.

i have read a bunch of threads, telling me everything from wiring relays for auto head lights, to just put power in and out and wire into my reverse.

i dont think we can have auto head lights because of the actual switch we have to pull.

has anyone actually wired in a auto dim rear view mirror recently? the largest thread i could find is a decade old.

if someone knows where to find an actual wire diagram that would be awesome as well. i just need to know which wires do what.

PM me your email address and I'll email you the wiring for the mirror and auto lamps.

For the auto lamps you use two relays. One powers the headlight circuit and one powers the parking light circuit. These are placed after the switch and completely bypass when auto lamps are used. It's honestly a really easy setup once you have the diagrams in front of you.

I figured most of everything out when it comes to the wiring but i can't figure out which wire is main power and which one is for the dimming.

I have two connectors both have solid grey with a yellow stripe, and the other wire is different between the 2 connectors.

What is solid light blue with a red stripe, the other connector has a solid red with a black stripe.

Is main power solid grey with yellow stripe?

Also what Gage wire did you guys use to extend the harness?

I installed the OHC and wired it up. Everything works. But i messed something up.

Is the OHC supposed to turn off with the truck? The temp and direction are still on when i shut the truck down.

The map lights don't turn off when the doors are shut.

I think i messed up by pulling power from the cig lighter and grounding back to the cig lighter. Creating an open circuit.

Can i leave just move the power to nab it from somewhere else? And leave the ground intact to the cig lighter?

Thanks

Update:
I moved power to come off the radio. Which did not do anything. When the OHC is plugged in it has power when the truck is off.

I unplugged the door ajar wire to make the map lights turn off. I will rewire it tommorow.

I dont know where to plug in power.

Any help would be appreciated, i will probably end up ripping it all out and trying again from scratch if i can't figure it out.

Sounds like your ignition wire (Purple/Orange) is wired up to a constant source as is your interior light wire.

The problem was that i am gullible. When i pulled. The radio i trusted the wire the was labled with a tag as being the + after re-splicing everything worked.

Thank you IAmTodd for your help.

Back