Installing Aussie locker but tolerances are off, WTB Thrust washers? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Installing Aussie locker but tolerances are off, WTB Thrust washers?

Nick26

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Cumberland, RI
Year, Model & Trim Level
98' 5.0 XLT
Hey Everyone, I'm installing an Aussie locker but the 2 measurements i had to make were much tighter then they were supposed to be. One is the pinion shaft to the spacer clearance is supposed to be .006-.020 but in my case its too tight to even get the pinion shaft back in without jamming it. Then i had to measure the distance between the cam gears when done and it should have been .145-.175 but in my case was only .110. So the instructions say if these measurements don't fit then i need smaller thrust washers, but where do i get them? The ones i took out I measured to be about .042 wide. I called the dealer and the only dealership that has them is like an hour away and even still they just said they have the orginal ones not different size ones. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Aussie Locker

Nick26 said:
Hey Everyone, I'm installing an Aussie locker but the 2 measurements i had to make were much tighter than they were supposed to be. One is the pinion shaft to the spacer clearance is supposed to be .006-.020 but it my case its too tight to even get the pinion shaft back in without jamming it. Then i had to measure the distance between the cam gears when done and it should have been .145-.175 but in my case was only .110. So the instructions say if these measurements fon't fit then i need smaller thrust washers, but where do i get them? The ones i took out I measured to be about .042 wide. I called the dealer and the only dealership that has them is like an hour away and even still they just said they have the orginal ones not different size ones. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Send your name, phone number, order number, or type of diff and Aussie Locker to us at customerservice@offroadlockers.com and we will have a tech consultant call you and go over some suggestions.

I havent busted down the aussie to tell ya anything that could get ya on the road.

But i was gonna say, if those washers are slightly too thick, you can try going by to just about any driveline shop and see if that have any shims that are closley the same size.

Maybe some carrier shims for a ford 8"? They should have them in an array of thickness... from .020, .025, .030, .040, ...ect...

Creager said:
I havent busted down the aussie to tell ya anything that could get ya on the road.

But i was gonna say, if those washers are slightly too thick, you can try going by to just about any driveline shop and see if that have any shims that are closley the same size.

Maybe some carrier shims for a ford 8"? They should have them in an array of thickness... from .020, .025, .030, .040, ...ect...

Yeah I'm calling around but not many people are open today... Aussielocker already emailed me and said they have someone working on it and are going to call.
I may just have to wait till moday to call aamco and some other shops to get what i need.

Nick26 said:
Yeah I'm calling around but not many people are open today... Aussielocker already emailed me and said they have someone working on it and are going to call.
I may just have to wait till moday to call aamco and some other shops to get what i need.

Aussie Locker will figure it out for ya.

PM me if you have any questions.

hmm, i know what are you are tlaking about, but mine were the right measurements... Thats not to say that everything slid into place perfectly and easily, but with a little wiggling and moving everything went in right.

I ended up taking apart a limited slip carrier i had which had smaller .03 shims and used those. It got me within tolerances and I've been happily driving it all week. I hardly ever hear the ratcheting with the windows up, and the traction has been great. I've been offroad a couple times already.

My ARB install went similar, the 1 shim was not enough, 2 was too much (of something to that effect) the shop that installed my ARB and gears was not happy with the results so they actually machined a new shim to get the gear backlash perfect.

I noticed my rear is now much "firmer" than before, I also had a clunk that is gone

410Fortune said:
they actually machined a new shim to get the gear backlash perfect.

i kinda had to do that too.. the OD of the .03 shims was to big so i put them on the bench grinder till they were idetical with the ones that came out, smoothed them out and I was good to go.

hmm I had never heard of this before and I was questioning the installer because of it, but this guy knows his stuff so I just let it be :)
Seems they did a fantastic job though so far!

normally shims come in various sizes... .005, .010, .025, .030... ect... so when you need that .001 to get things perfect, you might have to make it yourself...

there are companies that make shims that are .001, .003.. .ect.

410Fortune said:
hmm I had never heard of this before and I was questioning the installer because of it, but this guy knows his stuff so I just let it be :)
Seems they did a fantastic job though so far!

this wasn't in the 8.8 that blew up was it?

yes it was, the 8.8 ring gear lost a few teeth after only 2 years since having a local shop rebuild the factory LS and convert it to 4.10. Apparently they did not do a very good job, this time around it was done RIGHT, but unfortunatley for me I have WAY too much $$$ in this 8.8, could have had a Currie 9" by now....

Back