Interior Lights come on by THEMSELVES! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Interior Lights come on by THEMSELVES!

deanamal

Reaction score
City, State
Keller, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT 4.0 SOHC
Hello. I've had great success with this site in repairing my window motors and here's another one. I have searched the threads and saw many similar but not exactly like mine. I have a 97 Explorer, stock, 2WD, 4.0L SOHC. I bought this truck this past summer. The interior door lights will come on when you normally park, turn off the motor and open the doors.
By the way, the driver door NEVER would turn on the interior lights or show "Door Ajar" when open with the ignition on. All the other doors will turn on the interior lights when opened and will light up the "Door Ajar" light on the instrument panel.
After parking and shutting down, getting out (passengers), the interior lights will come on and time out or go out when using the key fob to lock all the doors. After sitting there for some time (sometime it's only minutes, sometime it might take an hour), the interior lights will come on by themselves! One morning I found a dead battery because of this. I'm now taking out the fuse for the lights but that also kills the power windows.
I've seen on the threads it might be a short between the door and the body (most likely the driver's door). Some models it's a boot but mine is this black plastic, cylindrical hinged thing that houses all the wires. How do I open that thing to check my connections?
Does it sound like I have a bad driver's door switch issue since it won't register with the "Door Ajar" light or turn the interior lights on if opened? Or is it more likely a short? I'm leaning towards a switch issue which is causing the interior lights to come on all by themselves and still have a short or broken connection on the driver's door as well???
Should I start by WD-40 all the switches and go from there? Are these switches under the rollers at the door hinge? Where are the switches for the back hatch? (I can see two spring-loaded plastic switches?, one on each side of the hatch/tailgate) - are these it?
Again, every door, hatch and rear window EXCEPT the driver's door will cause the interior lights to come on and give me the "Door Ajar" light. What could cause my interior lights to come on sporadically? Should I also WD-40 all the door handles?

Ps. The driver's door never gave me the ding-ding-ding when opened with the motor on or the door ajar light. All the other doors and hatch/window will give me an audible beep when opened along with the above mentioned lights. Closing all the doors (except driver's) will kill the interior lights and the "Door Ajar" light will go out as well. The driver's door has no effect on the interior lights one way or another.

Another thing, the speakers on the driver's side, front and back, cut out every now and then as well. I've checked the connections on the speakers and they are sound (no pun intended). Don't know if this is related and thought I'd better mention it.

Sounds like a lot of troubleshooting I'm going to have to do. ANY tips would be greatly appreciated and thank you all in advance for your time and wisdom! This site truly rocks and has already saved me a bunch of $$$!

WD40 has worked for many.

The "door ajar" switches are in the latch mechanism for the doors; don't know about for the hatch. Almost certainly your door ajar switch in drivers door is bad. Search for threads w oics - lots of them on this site. You can try spraying a bunch of WD40 in latch opening in door; also remove door panel and spray from there.

The black cylindrical thing you describe has a long rubber boot on the bottom that goes into the vehicle body. The boot covers the wires. Undo the captured bolt (10mm I thinK) on top and two parts will separate. Cut the wire tie that holds the boot to the bottom piece and peel back boot to expose wires. Good chance you will find broken wires. Good luck.

Back