Is a Rear Air Deflector Cool and Do These Mud flaps Make My Rear Look Fat? (Trying to minimize getting road gunk on the rear of my X) | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Is a Rear Air Deflector Cool and Do These Mud flaps Make My Rear Look Fat? (Trying to minimize getting road gunk on the rear of my X)

I got it the air deflector and installed it.

We had a recent snow here and roads were messy. I was not expecting much, but it appears it makes little difference in what collects on the rear window. I am glad they made one for our older rigs, but you can see in the pics there is a bit of heat warpage on one end from when they formed it, not the best quality..................... I will likely modify it, cut the holes larger in front to get more air through it.

The mud flaps are keeping the rear cleaner overall.......................I tried a larger wiper blade and couldn't get it to wipe clean in the middle, so went back to a 13" blade.

def8.jpg

def1.jpg

def2.jpg

def3.jpg

def4.jpg

def5.jpg

def9.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well it looks cool....adds some sportiness to the back ...so hey!

Well it looks cool....adds some sportiness to the back ...so hey!

Yah, It goes with the side vent shades.

It would likely work a bit if it caught more air and squeezed it out closer to the glass. The deflector cannot be mounted close to the glass nor hatch openings or they wouldn't open. It's cool enough for the design limits. I think it would do better if I opened-up the front of it to catch more air.

I got it the air deflector and installed it.

We had a recent snow here and roads were messy. I was not expecting much, but it appears it makes little difference in what collects on the rear window. I am glad they made one for our older rigs, but you can see in the pics there is a bit of heat warpage on one end from when they formed it, not the best quality..................... I will likely modify it, cut the holes larger in front to get more air through it.

The mud flaps are keeping the rear cleaner overall.......................I tried a larger wiper blade and couldn't get it to wipe clean in the middle, so went back to a 13" blade.

View attachment 425178

View attachment 425171

View attachment 425173

View attachment 425174

View attachment 425175

View attachment 425179
Honestly, it looks good, man! Air deflector looks nice, mud flaps too! Does feel like it has a bit more of a stance, but no it ain't too fat. Also, I do have some side questions that are completely off topic though, if ya don't mind me sending you some messages about.

Honestly, it looks good, man! Air deflector looks nice, mud flaps too! Does feel like it has a bit more of a stance, but no it ain't too fat. Also, I do have some side questions that are completely off topic though, if ya don't mind me sending you some messages about.
Thanks for not jumping off topic here, no problem just PM me!

I have a rear deflector in the box,

Let me know if you want a picture or two.
1641730365943.png

That look perhaps like a Lund? I had a similar one on a full, size Bronc. Yes post pics, curious what it looks like and notice he much larger openings in the front.

The addition of mud flaps has made a difference in keeping the rig and rear clean. Nothing keeps your rig clean when it's a mess out with dirty watery road mist everywhere.

I completed the front a few weeks back and wanted to get back to this thread. There is no room for the lower mud flap to be inside the fender without rubbing the tire bad when turning. Therefore I used some garage door bottom seal and cut down two mud flaps to extend the fender flair a bit. That cut the rode grime or mud from being slung on the mirrors and upper doors and windows.
front-flaps.jpg

front-flaps-2.jpg

front-flaps-3.jpg

I made custom mounts for the lower mud flaps to protect the lower part of the rig. I needed to mount them back a little to clear the tire and they match that way with the rears. It is bolted to lower fender mount and has two self tapping screws up into the fender.
front-flaps-4.jpg

front-flaps-5.jpg

Now that there is protection for the rockers and doors from road spray, I can repaint the lower black sections.
front-flaps-6.jpg

front-flaps-7.jpg

front-flaps-8.jpg

Back