I've got Gremlins! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I've got Gremlins!

EngineBay.jpg

Here we get a good view of the solution for the old, busted, leaking air intake tube I came up with using off the shelf parts from the auto store. I have a separate thread that lists all the parts, part numbers and prices (at the time).

For grins, I pointed out the location of the MAF unit on the left. I got the sensor and housing (reconditioned) from the local auto store for half the cost of a new sensor by itself! There was nothing wrong with the existing housing, but hey, I went ahead and replaced them both since it was a packaged deal.

And I had to point out the R12 to 134a conversion..
I did this with a $50 kit that simply included 3 cans 16oz of 134a(10oz), oil (4oz) and stop leak (2oz), a CD with video (available on youtube), a reusable Charge hose and 134a connector adapters that screw over the existing R12 connections.
The video basically said to identify the high/low pressure lines, purge the system (properly), screw on the adapters and charge..
What they left out was the wisdom in replacing the dryer/accumulator (which I did) and all of the old O-rings. Apparently, the old black rubber rings don't get along so well with the new 134a. Whereas the new green rubber ones work for both 134a and R12. I got an O-ring/Spring retainer kit from Orielly's for $15 plus the little multi colored tool pack for removing spring lock connections and replaced them on all hoses, fittings and compressor.

TBMod.jpg

And here is the pic of my solution to my idling/CEL woes.

Even after 2 new IACs, TPS, O2, IAT, MAF, Air intake tube, timing adjustment.. I couldn't get the thing to stop throwing DTC 12/77.. Not until I completely plugged the factory TB butterfly hole... This is a 5/32" of an inch opening. I had tried plugging it and drilling out a smaller 1/8" hole, but that was still too much air. It wasn't until I completely blocked it off and had the idle screw set for the TPS to read just under .98v that I finally passed my KOER (Key On Engine Running) OBD test. I was concerned that with the hole gone, there wouldn't be enough air in case of IAC failure. But, sure enough, with the motor running, if I unplug the IAC unit, the engine gets just enough air to keep running (albeit low RPM and rough).
My only thoughts are that the factory teflon coating around the butterfly (you can see the stippling of where it used to be) made a pretty dang good seal. And with this coating gone, enough air passes around the sides, to make the hole completely needless.

..The info and pictures are an awesome addition...:biggthump

..Please keep us informed on how you like, and how long the Spectre intake tube last...;)

Something I just found very interesting...

So, we all know that you do the paper clip KOER test (jump the two wires in the diag harness on the passenger rear of the engine bay, search for the instructions if needed).. So you jump the wires, turn on the engine, the CEL flashes cylinders/2 (3 flashes for a 6 cyl for example).
You wait a bit, then the CEL flashes once to let you know to turn the steering wheel left then right, then push and release the brake, then floor and release the gas pedal... Then a moment later, the CEL flashes your codes (repeating the codes once)

When I do this, I got 11 (passed).

When I use the Scanner tool at Orielly's, I get DTC 12/77.. Well today I paid a bit more attention. The scan tool had me do the same steering, brake, gas test except for one major difference.... IT TOLD ME TO DO THESE THINGS BEFORE THE OBD COMPUTER WAS READY FOR THEM! In other words, the scan tool told me to do these steps before the CEL flashed once at me (thus prompting me to perform these actions). That explains why I kept getting DTC 77 (failed to detect WOT), I was never doing the steps when the computer was ready for it.

I redid the test, this time, just putting the scan tool on the dash and not paying attention to it (after using it to start the KOER test that is). Once again, I waited for the single flash of the CEL, steer left then right, press/release brake, floor/release gas... Confirmed with the scan tool as well, code 11, passed!

What an ordeal this has been. I can see why OBD1 got replaced so fast with OBD2s... It was a neat idea at the time, but it just wasn't ready for the road.

I hope this experience benefits others trying to keep these trucks runnin'

Back