Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
York, Pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 Explorer
John Rock Memorial Meet and Greet

What better way to remember John than to have a meet and run in his name.

Date: May 28th
Location: Marble Falls. Will be a meet and greet and memorial convoy.

Primary meeting point will be Chris's (TxPlates) house. Due to this being a public forum the address will not be posted. Please PM Chris or myself for the address.

Secondary meeting point will be WalMart parking lot on US 281 on the northern side of Marble Falls. (In case Chris's work takes him out of town on this weekend)

We will begin meeting at around 11:00 to socialize and BS, convoy will start at 12pm. We will stop and get something to eat while doing the convoy. (UPDATE) We will stop in Llano at a BBQ joint for a meal. This cafe takes does accept debit/credit cards. After the convoy is over we can do some more socializing and bs'ing!!!!

There will be a drivers meeting at appx 1145 to go over the route and to finiallze items such as where we are going to stop to get a bite to eat, stopping for photo ops, etc., convoy speed will be 50 mph. (this will help with not having an accordian effect) I plan on "jumping" ahead to the turn points to act as a road guide for the group.

UPDATE After the route recon with Chris, there are several great ideas that came up.
Chris knows a spot on the river leading out of Marble Falls that will make a good photo op point. We will be stopping there first to line the vehicles up for a group photo on with the river in the background.
We are going to get seperated going out of Marble Falls, the light cycles proably won't allow all of us thru at once. On the south side of Marble Falls there is a picnic area, the lead vehicles will pull in there until the rest can catch up. When we pull out of the picnic area, the highway is 4 lane until the turnoff to Llano, so as we pull out, it will not really interfere with the convoy. At this time some might have to do a catch up speed.
Tx71 going to Llano is 2 lane, but it is an easy route. Please try to keep 100 meters between vehicles so traffic can overtake and pass. There is a point that Chris pointed out we can pull off the the side for photo ops. More detailed information will be presented at the driver's meeting.
As a side note, mapquest pointed out the wrong house on the street, Chris's house is the last one on the right, before the bend, just look for the Sport Tracs!!!
If you have a CB, we will use channel 1, with 2 as an alternate, with 3 as an alternate to the alternate.
We could use a vehicle as a trail vehicle with a sign about the rigs being part of a memorial run, any one have ideas? (but this vehicle needs a CB or a cell phone in the vehicle)

CONVOY ROUTE: 281 South to 71 to Llano back around via 29 to FM1431 back to Marble Falls. This route is longer and will take us around the lake. Photo Ops!

ATTENDING:

GUEST OF HONOR: Ms. JULIA L. ARCHILA-JOHNSTONE

Reapereviltwin
Kris Guilbeaux
MrQ
TxPlates
Randall
SVO
Stang Girl
TexasArmadillo
01Explorer2wd and Sarah
Easymc
gamecocks
Dre0506 +2
NICE59FORDF100
MaNiAc55

Stay turned for additional information.

Please post your ideas and comments.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wish I was closer and/or had some time off left- I'd have actually stuck my truck in the woods for this. :(

Sounds like a good idea.

As far as I know, there is nothing wrong with setting up a run, or for that matter, dedicating it to someone you knew.

I would love to come along and I encourage others to think about doing this as well.

Awesome plan Reaper, I also wish I was closer but such is life. Hope you pull it off mate, have a few coldies for me and raise a glass to John for us when your out in the bush.:thumbsup:

As far as I know, there is nothing wrong with setting up a run, or for that matter, dedicating it to someone you knew.

I would love to come along and I encourage others to think about doing this as well.

Thanks Dan, hoping you will be able to make it when the plans are finialized.

Awesome plan Reaper, I also wish I was closer but such is life. Hope you pull it off mate, have a few coldies for me and raise a glass to John for us when your out in the bush.:thumbsup:

Thanks Lynchy, will raise a glass to John for ya'll.

Note:

Gilmer was put in as a possibility only.

We can just have a meet and do a memorial convoy. There are peeps with 2wd or do not have their off road rig ready

The more we have the better it will be.

It does not matter if you can make it with a X, Ranger, Sport Trac, skateboard, or roller skates, the only criteria is to be there for John Rock and that is all that matters.

i would love to come but i live on the east cost...i didnt know john but what i heard about him he most of been a wonderful guy..please rasie a cold one in my name

i would love to come but i live on the east cost...i didnt know john but what i heard about him he most of been a wonderful guy..please rasie a cold one in my name

Will Do, :chug:

I only got to meet him twice, but we became friends quickly, he was one hell of a guy.

A mere 921 miles away,I would love to be there but am unsure if I can.Seeing how I drive 2500 miles a week this is no big deal.Keep us posted.:D

A mere 921 miles away,I would love to be there but am unsure if I can.Seeing how I drive 2500 miles a week this is no big deal.Keep us posted.:D

Will do, being there in spirit is being there!!!
I noticed your avatar, my first off real roader was a M88A1!!!!

I would love to hit Gilmer again, especially in honor of John. That weekend I will be racing my bike on Lance Armstrongs ranch in Dripping Springs.

Would love to go but it's too far. Raise a cold one for me!! :chug:

I would love to hit Gilmer again, especially in honor of John. That weekend I will be racing my bike on Lance Armstrongs ranch in Dripping Springs.

bump, for john and for you mr reaper and all others who support this cause. god bless you guys

Would love to go but it's too far. Raise a cold one for me!! :chug:

Thank you for your support!!!
Will be toasting with a cold one (and an cold Pepsi).

Got the links for the two off road ranches to try to heve the run at, will be posting those later and then go from there.

:salute:

I was not able to donate to the Johnstone fund as I've been out of work for over a year. I would like to donate to the run. I will have some cash soon. Let me know what I can do.

Thanks, Rondo

I was not able to donate to the Johnstone fund as I've been out of work for over a year. I would like to donate to the run. I will have some cash soon. Let me know what I can do.

Thanks, Rondo

Thank You Rondo, ur support is better than any donation!!!! :salute:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks, Rondo

Don't sweat it Marine,I covered us both.:usa:

Back