Joined to get some help!!! 1996 explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Joined to get some help!!! 1996 explorer

taylorshan92

Reaction score
City, State
Fredericksburg, va
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Ford Explorer XLT V8
Hello, I'm new to this and am wondering if I can get advice on my problem.
A few months ago my 1996 explorer XLT V8 broke down. My neighbor hooked it up to One of the handheld devices that gives you a diagnostic code. It showed a code for a bad EGR Valve, and a position sensor. I bought a new egr and repaired it and if worked.
On Christmas, driving down the road my explorer started losing power and eventually cut out all together and I was stranded on the side of the road. Every time I tried to restart it, it would make a choking sound like something was clogged.
Would a Position sensor cause this? Many stories online mke me believe it could be a Dpfe sensor, but I know nothing about cars and I'm trying to avoid spending a lot of money.
Any advice would help

I moved your thread to our Stock 1995-2001 subforum. Hopefully someone will have an answer for you here. Welcome to the forum:chug:

Was the code "p0340" by chance?

A camshaft position sensor going bad will cause the fuel injection to shut down

A Crankshaft position sensor going bad will cause spark to shut down.

We need more information.

I suggest having the codes re read, write them ALL down and post back up in this thread.

I have also had an alternator that was charging but was sending out small serge that for some reason made the computer see the cps read as bad and it would run ruff.

Back