• Register Today It's free!

Just bought my 1st Explorer

92'WhiteWolf

Reaction score
City, State
Alabama
Year, Model & Trim Level
92' Explorer XLT
What's up everybody, just purchased my new to me Explorer and I'm already enjoying it thoroughly! It's a 1992 XL 4x4 model with the 4.0L, just did an oil change today with Mobil 1 10w30 Full Synthetic High Mileage with a Mobil 1 extended proformance M1-301A. Is this a good oil change set up to stick with? Is it okay to run full synthetic in these engines? I also would like to do a a/t pan drain, drop, clean pan and replace with new filter. What brand a/t filter kit should I go with and what fluid would be recommended for this transmission? Also how many quarts does the a/t pan hold when doing this job? Thank you everyone in advance and hope to hear some great advice and meet some really helpful/cool people!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm the original owner of my '93 and have run Mobil 1 10w 30 since the first oil change. I have replaced the cylinder heads with remanufactured heads quite a long time ago. The engine looked beautiful on the inside when the heads were off. No sludge and very little wear. The heads were replaced due to valve seals going bad over time.

Sorry I can't be of help with the auto tranny stuff, since mine is a 5 speed manual. Someone may chime in here, or you can try and post your question in our transmission subforum: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?forums/transmissions-transfer-cases.109/

Welcome to the forum:chug:

What's up everybody, just purchased my new to me Explorer and I'm already enjoying it thoroughly! It's a 1992 XL 4x4 model with the 4.0L, just did an oil change today with Mobil 1 10w30 Full Synthetic High Mileage with a Mobil 1 extended proformance M1-301A. Is this a good oil change set up to stick with? Is it okay to run full synthetic in these engines?
I also would like to do a a/t pan drain, drop, clean pan and replace with new filter. What brand a/t filter kit should I go with and what fluid would be recommended for this transmission? Also how many quarts does the a/t pan hold when doing this job? Thank you everyone in advance and hope to hear some great advice and meet some really helpful/cool people!

Welcome to the site

I use the SPX Microfelt trans filters from bulkpart.com. They are not the simple screen filter that so many of them are.
I use Valvoline Maxlife ATF.
Can't remember how many quarts the pan holds, but I do know if you just drop the pan you are only getting about 35% of the fluid out. It's better to get all of the fluid out via the trans cooler lines (there a couple of good threads here about it).
Also, some people run an in-line filter to supplement the pan filter.

Your truck being an XL -- it may not have an auxiliary transmission cooler. If it doesn't -- I would install one. Jegs sells a B&M cooler that is supposed to be a direct bolt-in -- Jegs part # 130-70264

I wouldn't waste your time on $ oil. Regular 10w30 is fine. Switching now might lead to issues with gaskets. Unless you can be sure someone changed the rear main, crank & oil pan ones.

Mobil1 synthetic is great oil. I personally buy NAPA full synthetic by the case every couple of years. Last time I bought 4 cases for $3 a quart. You can't beat that. Being in Alabama, you should be ok running 10w30 all year, although 5w30 is good as well, and the updated ford recommendation (original was 10w30). I also run Valvoline full synthetic ATF, I ran in in both the A4LD (auto), and now my M5OD-R1 (manual), as well as plenty of other vehicles. If I remember correctly, the auto drains about a gallon from the pan. Ideally you would do a flush, not a power flush, and there is info on this site on how to do that. With clean fluid, you can change by dropping the pan every 30k miles or so, and that has been sufficient for me in an auto. I actually have changed the fluid in my manual tranny at 15k (it had about 250,000 miles on it when I got it) then went 20k miles, and that's all I feel comfortable. Mine sees severe duty towing quite a bit, with a high ratio gear set in the rear end. That and the manual only holds less than a gallon of fluid, it doesn't take long to get dirty with no filter. As was stated, it's a good idea to put an inline filter in your tranny cooler line. If you do this, the pan filter you use is not that important. The tranny cooler is up to you, but tons of people install them with good luck. In my case, mine went 220k miles on just the radiator cooler, and still works today.

If you want a larger capacity oil filter buy a Wix 51773 or a NAPA Gold 1773

Back