Just picked up junk yard hitch--rating question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Just picked up junk yard hitch--rating question

I just picked up the hitch I found at a junkyard for my Explorer. It actually came off a 97. It has a 2" receiver, but the sticker for the weight rating has me a little confused. It shows a rating of 3500 lbs/300 lbs for weight carrying and 5000/500 for weight distributing.

A) The 3500 lb rating matches a Class II type, but it has a 2" reciever, not 1 1/4"
B) Only Class III and above are supposed to be capable of Weight Distributing setups, but this one shows a lower W.C. rating.

Anyone make any sense of this? I'll be towing a tent trailer most likely that will have a weight of 3500-4000 lbs.

I can't see a manufacture, just the sticker with the weight. Says "Made in the USA", "51033" and "51 Series" on it.

Rob

Hitch Classes

Many of the newer vehicles have what is popular. The 2 " hitch rated at 3500 pounds.. THey are common because many of the accessories used fit only 2x2 receivers. They are designed for OEM equipment and usually 6 cylinder mid to smaller vehicles---

You can probably get the instructions and necessary hardware required off the etrailer.com website. check out the hitch pages and find the year- make- model and then the hitch pages to display a variety of models for that request. go to details and then below get the instructions page. Each set comes with its full hardware descriptions and torque ratings.

If you get the correct hardware setup and the right torque vales, you will need nothing else for the correct install. It does sound as though you will be needing a Full tow Package installation, with Electric Brakes, Trailer battery charge line and Trans Cooler . To do it right and safely, a standard weight distribution setup may be in the cards as well.

You can find that information on the same web site. If you have a local shop to do the work, be sure they test all your equiment with the trailer attached. Just so it all works the way it is supposed to. If you have towing questions call them or your local hitch installer @uhaul.

Safe Towing is the way to go.
What I do..\
:usa::usa:
(51033 sounds like a reese hitch .. but I am unsure..)

Based on some Google searching yesterday, I think this is a "Pro Series 51" hitch made by Draw-Tite as a cheaper brand.

Back