Quick question of weight distributing hitch | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Quick question of weight distributing hitch

I will be buying a weight distributing hitch. Local Harbor freight has one rated for 10k trailer in stock. My trailer weighs half that. Are the bars ridged or ment to have some flex at rated capacity?
Basically is it ok to get one rated for 10k to be used on a 5k trailer or should I look for one with a 5-6k rating?

Anyone know what going on with the sticky towing capacity chart? It appears at the bottom of all my posts for no reason?
Then disappears or reappears at random.

Need more info, specifically your tongue weight and tongue weight rating of the WDH.

Using a heavier duty receiver or hitch then your trailer is no problem. The weight distributing bars for the hitch may make a difference. How much adjustment are there in the bars. The first time you hook up will require several trial and error adjustments to get hitch ball hieght and transfer bar tension adjusted correctly. Many people don't bother and have far from optimal performance. If these heavy bars don't have sufficient adjustment in them, you won't be able to get it set up correctly. Having said that, there is usually plenty of adjustment.

Back