Just renewed my Ex! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Just renewed my Ex!

Took my '98 XLT to the body shop to replace a door that got pulverized by a teenage driver this year. My car is all black, factory paint that has never seen a body shop, and has been reguraly waxed and buffed twice a year, I wash once a week. I insist on a clean, stock Explorer. So I go to pick up my car two days ago and HOLY C@#P! Looked horrible- a new shiny black door on a grey distressed car. It always looked nice and black, not now..... I talked to the body guy, and he said the clear coat had 'burned off', hence the grey, scratchy look. Never had to do such a comparision before. What do I do now?? He said he could re-clear coat the whole car after wet-sanding it down and the color would match, and get back the shine. Ok, I said, wanting ANYTHING but what stood before me. So I stopped by this morning while making my way into work, the car was drying inside the paint booth, he took me in, and WOW! It looks brand new, really good. A little orange peel, he is going to color blend the whole car before the badges and lights go back on it, but what a difference. Cost? $400.00, not bad at all. He pulled off the pinstripes, so I gotta replace those- thinking of painted ones in dark grey, not the sticker from Ford. Body guy said most domestic cars need a new clear coat after the first 3-4 years before it peels and you need a repaint. Learn something every day...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Awesome!! I'm with Matt about the pinstripes. Keep them off.

Just say NO to pinstripes.

$400.00 is more than not bad, that is super cheap.
( cheap refering to the cost )

Leave the emblems off too.
My opinion

Well, the clearcoat wasn't "burned off" it was just oxidized and worn. Hitting it with a medium to light cut cleaner and a cutting pad on a orbital or maybe a rotary polisher it'd look perfect.

Hate to say it, but he probably took you for a ride. A detailer would have charged you probably $150 for a total vehicle paint restoration and a good coat of wax or sealant.

Keep in mind the clearcoat is just paint with no pigment, and over time it oxidizes and roughs up. It doesn't really "burn off". The purpose of buffers, cutting pads and abrasive cleaners is to restore the finish and rid it of that oxidation and remove the suface marring that dulls the paint.

Well, I picked it up, it looks brand new, it was color blended and buffed to remove all the orange peel and imperfections during spraying. I get the car polished and waxed every 6 months, and as time has gone on, it lasts less and less, also the polishing removes a part of the coating each time. This method added a coating, and it is a fresh, no oxidized coat of protection. To have a guy buff the car usualy costs about $125.00 ish, this actually costed me $300.00 total, and will add life to the finish.

If you have it polished every 6 months and it oxidized like that, then he's not maintaining the finish properly...

Also if you're using a carnuaba wax, you really need to wax it more than every 6 months. Carnuaba wax is gone in at the most a month.

Enjoy! Take some pictures for us!

Back