• Register Today It's free!

K&N Intake

Fredridge

Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer
Just picked it up today. Went down to K&N and they installed it for me. Drove it for a while after.

My thoughts.

Sounds very, very cool - not sure how the wife will feel

Seems to feel quicker

The sound resonates a bit at certain throttle levels. Again, I think it sounds good, but may bug others.

Looks good under the hood. may have to spruce up more eventually.

Now have to decide if I want to spend the money on an exhaust.

Pics below

IMG_06431.jpg

IMG_06411.jpg

IMG_06421.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks great. I have been waiting for a company to come out with an intake. When you get on the throttle does it make a suction sound? Last one I had on another car made a noise like that and I loved it.

Mind if I ask what it set you back?

It has a very raspy growl when you step on it. My last car, a 2008 Scion XB was similar, but no where near as loud or deep. iirc that intake was plastic though.

I don't know what they are going to cost. I would guess around $300, but I got it for free for letting them use my Ex for development. Same thing with my XB

Looks great. I have been waiting for a company to come out with an intake. When you get on the throttle does it make a suction sound? Last one I had on another car made a noise like that and I loved it.

Mind if I ask what it set you back?

I don't know what they are going to cost. I would guess around $300, but I got it for free for letting them use my Ex for development. Same thing with my XB

Must be nice. Hhhmmmmm. AEM is around the corner from my work. Maybe they need a guinea pig also. :)

it's pretty cool. This is like my third free one. I tend to buy new cars regularly and usually new models, then I just check their site and see if they need it. I think they may still need ecoboost models for testing.

though, I may be breaking the pattern. Used to get a new car almost every year, but I had my scion for over 4 years, hoping to have the Ex for 5-6 years at least

Must be nice. Hhhmmmmm. AEM is around the corner from my work. Maybe they need a guinea pig also. :)

no video/sound clip ? ?

Any reports on performance or fuel mileage?

Let us know any mileage increases

I will see if I can get a sound/video clip.

I really won't be able to report on mileage as I have never really kept track

Does anyone know if the K&N will fit the 2012? K&N says it hasn't been confirmed to be compatible on 2012, may result in engine code. CGS advertises theirs fit 2011 & 2012.

I don't see why it wouldn't work with 2012... There weren't any engine changes

That's what I thought, but the tech at K&N said "don't use it." Maybe they're just covering their rears on that.

I did get the twin Magnaflows welded on today.... sounds so much better now. Nice growl instead of the previous "blow dryer" sound!

I see this is available to order:

http://store.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=77-2575KS

But $325 is a little steep - the usual for K&N.

I'm thinking about getting some tubing and vac fittings from Spectre, reuse the MAF, and making a DIY version. Surprised no one else has tried this. I can't be the only one who's already out of warranty!

We could then use a dry filter like an AEM. We would need to come up with a heat shield but that should be doable. The K&N kit's shield doesn't look like it creates a complete separation anyway.

What do you guys think?

Interesting, it hasn't been CARB approved in California, and there's no mention on their site that it's been submitted for approval. It just says not street legal in California. In the past new intakes on their site usually listed as pending approval for CARB OE ..

I wonder if they are not going to apply for CARB status on this kit?

Nice, theyre around 250 on ebay, I may get one soon :D

Anyone made the switch to K&N filter?

I'm referring to the filter ONLY, not the entire K&N kit. I just ordered one for my 2012 Explorer. What have you guys noticed in terms of mileage? I feel silly asking a question that I know the answer to, being I have used K&N filters before on some of my previous Ford vehicles. Yes, I always seem to see a little improvement with these filters, but every car is different. Can anyone report their mileage on their Explorer?

yes not noticed any milage increase but it seem to have a little more go to it..

Anyone notice a decrease in gas mileage with the K&N? Someone else on this forum already posted a concern that they are getting horrible gas mileage with the K&N and Magnaflow exhaust combo. I don't have a Magnaflow exhaust yet, but I would like to know if anyone else has noticed a decrease in gas mileage using a K&N filter only. You would think you'd see an improvement over the stock filter, but I've said it before, every car is different. Anyone else notice an improvement in gas mileage?

Splash5,
Thank you for that. You noticed a little more go which is good, but at least your mileage didn't decrease.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Anyone notice a decrease in gas mileage with the K&N? Someone else on this forum already posted a concern that they are getting horrible gas mileage with the K&N and Magnaflow exhaust combo. I don't have a Magnaflow exhaust yet, but I would like to know if anyone else has noticed a decrease in gas mileage using a K&N filter only. You would think you'd see an improvement over the stock filter, but I've said it before, every car is different. Anyone else notice an improvement in gas mileage?

Splash5,
Thank you for that. You noticed a little more go which is good, but at least your mileage didn't decrease.

i don't think i lost milage... (i hope not) i swapped it out after only a week so it would be good to know (i did see around 1-1.5MPG boost on past EX's 03 and 09 with one of these installed)... I guess I'm a little aggressive drives so i may not be the fairest test.
i have i big trip (400Miles each way) i may try it each way just to see if it actually makes any difference.

Back